Sign in to follow this  
JB

Happy clapping morons making us look ridiculous

7 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

This is amazing! I take it you were there? Having spent your money and travelled those miles and supported the team on a very difficult night? I'd hate to think you were just an armchair Arthur, watching on Sky while helping fund the rich clubs, calling those who went morons.

I bet you know who I think the morons are...

Fair play, I’ve never met anybody who follows football who has never watched a game on TV before. That takes some doing! Congrats!

8 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Stop being precious, relax and don’t take football too seriously. 

Football can be taken seriously. Norwich City cannot. They are the joke, along with Delia, Her hubby, their nephew and Webber!

10 hours ago, Highland Canary said:

Fundamentally, we lack quality. And to be fair I’ve seen few good performances at St Mary’s over the years. Our failure is nothing to do with Webber, Farke, Smith or the players. It’s simply the outcome of a business model that is incompatible with the PL. 

Not entirely true. Burnley are making a far better fist of survival than us despite having a tight budget and new owners who had to basically use the clubs own resources to acquire it apparently. No mega millions have been pumped into that club. 

Always been the same, I remember the happy clappers applauding Norwich off after we'd just been relegated under Alex Neil.

The 'Happy Clappers' need to get themselves down to Norwich Airport as the heroic squad will be landing in about 35 minutes from Southampton.....

19 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

The 'Happy Clappers' need to get themselves down to Norwich Airport as the heroic squad will be landing in about 35 minutes from Southampton.....

Surely we didn’t fly again. 

3 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Surely we didn’t fly again. 

Just flew over the top of my gaff they're down in 5 mins.....The non-conquering heroes return....(or should that be zeros?).....

6 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Just flew over the top of my gaff they're down in 5 mins.....The non-conquering heroes return....(or should that be zeros?).....

Rush through security and lunch at Roger Hickman’s for a well earned treat? 

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Rush through security and lunch at Roger Hickman’s for a well earned treat? 

Gotta purchase their own drinks though, us being a scrimpin' an' scrapin' self-funding club an' all that....

21 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Gotta purchase their own drinks though, us being a scrimpin' an' scrapin' self-funding club an' all that....

Still a hefty Travelodge bill for last night we could do without. 

Have to say I strongly disagree with this. When you're supporting your team away from home you are in enemy territory, you're outnumbered. You have to stick together. You're basically saying, for good or ill, these are our boys and we're standing by them. I don't think you could accuse the players of not trying their best last night: they just had a shocker.

We're competing week-in, week-out, against clubs with far more resources than us, some of whom have got those resources from distinctly dodgy sources. None of that is the players' fault: they're doing their best. We need to stick with them. Nothing embarrassing about standing with your team on the bad days. It's what makes the good days so enjoyable when they come.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

Its up to any supporter to do what they like. If you want to boo that is fine. Its nothing more than showing your feelings and doesn't mean you hate the club. Just the same if people want to clap them off the pitch after a poor performance. Fine. Its down to what you personally get out of the game.

I have argued with Hoggy many times but I respect his right to go home after a game with a completely different outlook to what I have (on TV) seen. I don't hate him and I hope its reciprocal.

The love of football and being lucky to have your own club like we have is a passionate thing and requires us to at the same time as being thick skinned also jump to the defence like our lives depended on it.

I will get stick at golf tomorrow from people who have never been and never will, to a match and they will tell me they are Liverpool supporters and use the term "WE". I just laugh, take it all in and remind myself that they haven't had the experiences I have had following NCFC. Their loss.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

The love of football and being lucky to have your own club like we have is a passionate thing and requires us to at the same time as being thick skinned also jump to the defence like our lives depended on it.

Great post, @keelansgrandad

26 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Have to say I strongly disagree with this. When you're supporting your team away from home you are in enemy territory, you're outnumbered. You have to stick together. You're basically saying, for good or ill, these are our boys and we're standing by them. I don't think you could accuse the players of not trying their best last night: they just had a shocker.

We're competing week-in, week-out, against clubs with far more resources than us, some of whom have got those resources from distinctly dodgy sources. None of that is the players' fault: they're doing their best. We need to stick with them. Nothing embarrassing about standing with your team on the bad days. It's what makes the good days so enjoyable when they come.

Dare I suggest that some (not all by any means) of the most vocal critics will have no idea what you are talking about as they have never experienced it (well not for City anyway)?

• Like 1

They didn’t deserve to be booed last night. The people who genuinely deserve the stick for our lack of competitiveness again at this level (ie the board and Webber) never seem to get it. 

16 minutes ago, Badger said:

Dare I suggest that some (not all by any means) of the most vocal critics will have no idea what you are talking about as they have never experienced it (well not for City anyway)?

I couldn't possibly comment

what  a fab game last night good slick passing, defending at its best, raining in shots on goal and I clapped and clapped, before someone told me we not playing in red and white- 🤣

Hey, hang on a moment! I thought if you bought tickets you were allowed to express yourself however you liked?

Man, I need to keep up with these crazy pinkun forum legislations, so bloomin hard when they flip flop so much.

Edited by chicken
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Badger said:

Which coach were you and Robert on Badger and do you like your new scarf? 

On 26/02/2022 at 08:53, yellowrider120 said:

Not entirely true. Burnley are making a far better fist of survival than us despite having a tight budget and new owners who had to basically use the clubs own resources to acquire it apparently. No mega millions have been pumped into that club. 

They've spent £100 million over their past few seasons, play a very pragmatic style of football and have 4 more points than us, in the relegation zone. They've done a better job over the past few seasons but they had to go up and get relegated (heresy, I know) and come back up and scrape survival. 

If the fans were happy with ultra-defensive football just to try and scrape 17th every year then we may as well have stuck it out with Hughton

22 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Great post.

• Like 1

On 25/02/2022 at 22:09, JB said:

the players should be ashamed of themselves and so should you be for clapping if you were one of them.

22 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

When you're supporting your team away from home you are in enemy territory, you're outnumbered. You have to stick together. You're basically saying, for good or ill, these are our boys and we're standing by them. I don't think you could accuse the players of not trying their best last night: they just had a shocker...

We need to stick with them. Nothing embarrassing about standing with your team on the bad days. It's what makes the good days so enjoyable when they come.

28 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Which coach were you and Robert on Badger and do you like your new scarf? 

I don't think that the fans that applauded the players off despite losing in a poor performance "should be ashamed of themselves." I agree with Robert:

"You're basically saying, for good or ill, these are our boys and we're standing by them...Nothing embarrassing about standing with your team on the bad days. It's what makes the good days so enjoyable when they come."

The fact that some don't even understand this (the OP and you?) does make me wonder about their/ your support. Perhaps its an age thing - going away in the 70s and 80s it was always reassuring to see yellow and green scarves around you, and in even in the many defeats that I have seen on the road I have always sided with "our lads" and certainly don't think that fans "should be ashamed of themselves" for doing so. I can understand why some fans may not feel like clapping, but why the hell should those that do feel ashamed?

Perhaps you can explain why you think that people who strongly identify with their team and support them even when they play badly should be ashamed? Until someone does the only reasons I can think of are:

1. It is a generational thing (which I don't think it is)

2. Those who think other fans should be ashamed don't have the same sense of identification, perhaps because they have never experienced the feeling. As Robert suggests it is the frequency of defeat that makes victory so brilliant.

But there may be other reasons that I don't understand. I am open to explanation, so the floor is yours - why should fans who clap their team off after a disappointing away performance be ashamed of themselves?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

If the fans were happy with ultra-defensive football just to try and scrape 17th every year then we may as well have stuck it out with Hughton

This is the big question and perhaps deserves a thread of its own (perhaps CC will oblige 😄). It's not just Burnley who have stayed up due to their "pragmatism" and defensive football - Palace, Stoke previously etc have only managed to do so by using similar methods. Would it be a price worth paying? Team full of 6-3+ foot players - big target man, very defensive and spend ages on set pieces - would the fans prefer this?

Yes. Pitting your wits in the top tier against the best clubs in Europe has to be the objective of any professional football club. It protects the club from being a Maddison away from administration which is where we’ll be again if we fail to get promoted next season. It increases the attractiveness of the club to new investment which might help break our cycle of failure.

Thanks to the OP for his advice and instruction but if it's all the same to you I pay my money and I'll do what I like, thanks. I call myself a "supporter", by the way - you might want to look that up sometime.

Don’t blame you, ridiculous time changes have made driving very tough for Norfolk based fans.