Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Men against children

Nice to see us play our under 18's tonight against Southamptons first team.. Or at the very least that's how it felt.

Wonder why Webber thought Chelseas dwarf Giilmour and kenny 'the invisible man' Mclean would be good enough to compete in one of the worlds strongest and toughest divisons? Oh well least we spent five million on Gunn, money well spent and not pissed up the wall what so ever.

Roll on Rotherham away.. Least then we might score some goals and win some hey? Massive squad rebuild needed is the moral of the story but I highly doubt Delia will open her purse.

3 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Nice to see us play our under 18's tonight against Southamptons first team.. 

Generous; under 8's more like.

In fact, if you played a team of After Eights they might have done better.

OTBC

• Haha 1

Well we won’t have to worry about bouncing back next season the whole squad and manager are absolute ****e . Not looked  Premiership standard all season and there’s better sides in the Championship for sure.

When Delia finally departs maybe just maybe we will be a football club again but for now we really are just pathetic.

Yes, I though watching it that Southampton just look so much stronger than us tbey we're brushing our players off with no effort what so ever. And wind would blow Sargent over. 

25 minutes ago, City 101 said:

Well we won’t have to worry about bouncing back next season the whole squad and manager are absolute ****e . Not looked  Premiership standard all season and there’s better sides in the Championship for sure.

When Delia finally departs maybe just maybe we will be a football club again but for now we really are just pathetic.

I think your criticism of DS is harsh. He is fire fighting with a squad assembled by DF and Webber. I Think DS, Shakey and co are better than we deserve

55 minutes ago, Mullet said:

I think your criticism of DS is harsh. He is fire fighting with a squad assembled by DF and Webber. I Think DS, Shakey and co are better than we deserve

But DS said he and Shakey were surprised by the quality in the squad!  🤪

7 hours ago, shefcanary said:

He’s hardly likely to come in and publicly announce they’re all s**t,, even if he might think it.

Edited by Naturalcynic

7 hours ago, shefcanary said:

He didn't say whether that 'quality' was better or worse than he imagined though 😉

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Mullet said:

But we looked tactically inept against Southampton and that part is down to Smith and Shakey, right? 

Edited by Alex

13 hours ago, shefcanary said:

That doesn't necessarily mean in a good way 😉

4 hours ago, Alex said:

But we looked tactically inept against Southampton and that part is down to Smith and Shakey, right? 

They didn't look like a team fighting for their lives to stay in the PL for themselves, the club or the fans. The coaches can't go out their and do the players jobs for them.

When you look at Leeds, Burnley, Watford, Brentford and Newcastle it wouldn't have taken much to overtake them but the players assembled by the club have been mostly pathetic. If they can't at least bust their nuts in every single game they deserve to be relegated. One other thing I just don't understand is a large proportion of fans clapping them after the game. What did those fans appreciate from yesterdays lack of effort. The lack of fight throughout our club is incredible

What's concerning me is we don't look particularly fit either. Southampton were faster, stronger and pretty much able to make that last the whole 90 mins.

We have no legs in midfield even 3 in there and Rashica and Sargent fade badly towards the end of games.

Makes you wonder what the hell they do on training to be so slow.

3 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

What's concerning me is we don't look particularly fit either. Southampton were faster, stronger and pretty much able to make that last the whole 90 mins.

We have no legs in midfield even 3 in there and Rashica and Sargent fade badly towards the end of games.

I wondered if we hadn’t recovered properly tbh. Two pretty hard games against Man City and Liverpool (hard on us since we did most of the running) and unlike a lot of other teams, we don’t have much ability to rotate as there aren’t many better options in the squad. I thought they looked tired/leggy.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

To me it looks like a lack of condfidence on our part and good confidence of opponents we come up against.  If you take the Palace and Southampton games, all you could see were free running confident players against us, quick of speed and thought and effectively putting us under the cosh - and we did get the ball and were hesitant, closing us down so quickly.

Confidence is not high enough - the team have just had too many beatings and that ishard to deal with. We need a bit of luck in the next few games to get us back on a winning trail and hopefully give us enough to make the season a real battle for the teams at the bottom, but time and games are getting less and we are running out of wiggle room. 

We needed to win yesterday or at least get a confidence boosting hard fought point sosome belief we can go into the next match with. We have to beat Brentford, no question, because the teams around us are still in there fighting and Brentford need to be reeled in. Let them get 3 points and they move away from the pack.  It's make or break game. 

17 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

It’s because we spend so little time with the ball. Spend 70%+ of the game pressing and no wonder they are knackered and fading towards the end.

On 25/02/2022 at 22:22, City 101 said:

Hand your season ticket in if it is that pathetic to support this club. Your ticket will go to someone else straight away and when Delia finally departs, and you want your ticket back, maybe just maybe you’ll get on the waiting list for a new one in 5 years time.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jambomo said:

I wondered if we hadn’t recovered properly tbh. Two pretty hard games against Man City and Liverpool (hard on us since we did most of the running) and unlike a lot of other teams, we don’t have much ability to rotate as there aren’t many better options in the squad. I thought they looked tired/leggy.

Exactly this. People don't realise how long you need to recover (or injuries will force you to). Anyone with a competitive distance-running background knows this.

That was a classic leggy performance.

• Like 1

Cheer up, you could be sleeping in an underground station in Kyiv each night wondering whether you'll have a flat to go back to the next morning. 

Moving from the 1st richest league in the world to the 5th richest league in the world is hardly a complete disaster, all things considered. We'll always be up and down, getting little tastes of the top flight, we're the 26th biggest club in the country by historic average league position, and they only let 20 in the Premier League.

On 25/02/2022 at 21:50, cambridgeshire canary said:

Nice to see us play our under 18's tonight against Southamptons first team.. Or at the very least that's how it felt.

Wonder why Webber thought Chelseas dwarf Giilmour and kenny 'the invisible man' Mclean would be good enough to compete in one of the worlds strongest and toughest divisons? Oh well least we spent five million on Gunn, money well spent and not pissed up the wall what so ever.

Roll on Rotherham away.. Least then we might score some goals and win some hey? Massive squad rebuild needed is the moral of the story but I highly doubt Delia will open her purse.

Has Delia even got a purse? Lately, haven’t we become a self funding club, seeing the stripping of player assets, because she ain’t got no money, nor has hubby or nephew Tom? 

Congrats on most childish, whiney, pathetic and cringey post of the weekend. You've had some stiff competition, too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Foxy2600 said:

Was at the match - just watched the rerun 

Missed this….when does a left back cower ?

D1E19078-2FFF-4FEC-9A6B-246EB4E07CEC.jpeg

Definitely put your life on the line to keep it out, hey?

20 hours ago, Mullet said:

They didn't look like a team fighting for their lives to stay in the PL for themselves, the club or the fans. The coaches can't go out their and do the players jobs for them.

When you look at Leeds, Burnley, Watford, Brentford and Newcastle it wouldn't have taken much to overtake them but the players assembled by the club have been mostly pathetic. If they can't at least bust their nuts in every single game they deserve to be relegated. One other thing I just don't understand is a large proportion of fans clapping them after the game. What did those fans appreciate from yesterdays lack of effort. The lack of fight throughout our club is incredible

No they can't but it is their job to motivate players and set the team up with the right tactics which they clearly didn't.

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

Congrats on most childish, whiney, pathetic and cringey post of the weekend. You've had some stiff competition, too.

Cheers Hoggy. 

Don't badmouth Rotherham, they look a real team with a goalscorer.  We don't resemble a team of any sort,  

We were largely outplayed from the first minute because our set up was wrong. We sat way too deep from the kick off. Smith was screaming at our back four to push up but they never did and our abject midfield never showed for the ball.

I'm not sure I can remember a time as a supporter (going back to 1962) when we didn't have one remotely exciting player in our team - no one who when they get possession, you really think they might be able to do something. Rashica has shown glimpses but so often runs down corridors or allows himself to be shown down them - this is really basic coaching you know. He and Placheta have the same skill set as Sarr and Zaha but are largely ineffective at this level. Likewise, receiving the ball on the half turn, which most of the Southampton team did, and we didn't. Sorensen is really good at that, and Normann too has shown he knows what to do. Byram also. Yet two of those don't get a start. All three should be shoe-ins given what else we have available.

Unfortunately Aarons seems to have convinced the world (a bit like Godfrey did) that he is a decent defender. He really isn't. Frequently caught out of position and is now targeted by every team we play. Again, this is coaching. 

Giannoulis has strength and speed and no little skill - but dreadful positioning ability and his one on one is poor - all coaching. Play him as wingback though, or on the left of a three and perhaps he contributes more. Gilmour and Maclean have had enough chances.

And whatever you do, you play your best goalkeeper. I don't blame Gunn at all for the recent defeats - he has done well. But he's our number two keeper for a reason.

So my team for Brentford:

Krul

Byram, Hanley, Gibson, Williams

Normann, Sorensen, Giannoulis

Sargent, Pukki, Rashica

Subs: PLM, Gunn, Kamara, Rowe, Aarons, Rupp, Placheta