Disco Dales Jockstrap

***Official Unofficial Match Thread***

One of the worst halves of football I’ve seen us play this season, which says a lot.

Defence started ok but now struggling to find an out ball. Midfield have no idea what they’re doing and just seem to be running about aimlessly and Pukki woefully isolated so all the long balls we’re resorting to are just going straight back to Southampton.

Major tactical change needed, and a general kick up the a*** to remind them all we need to win this game.

Forster is a **** keeper with the ball at his feet or when put under pressure, so push higher, give him a second striker to think about and look for second balls.

Smith said before the game that he didn't want too low a block - did he tell the players? 

Edited by Fuzzar

Mirror image of the first game v Saints, where we were pretty poor, other than in that game we were luckily level at h-t.  We need a huge uplift in the second half - just retaining the ball for a while would be a start.

When you have half a dozen of your players in the six yard box desperately trying to keep a rebounding ball out, you have lost your defensive structure. Poor defending and a well deserved goal down.

Southampton are too good. And our midfield is a complete black hole. Said it so many times, but our recruitment last summer was a joke. And won’t go into January.

• Like 2

Just lulling them into a false sense of security. 1-3 city 🤪

1 minute ago, Kingston Yellow said:

Southampton are too good. And our midfield is a complete black hole. Said it so many times, but our recruitment last summer was a joke. And won’t go into January.

Don't worry- Mclean and Gilmour will save us! 🙃

That was a tough watch. Midfield completely overrun. Hardly got the ball to Milot. Needs a big reorganisation at HT. 

Southampton look a really good side, perhaps lacking a bit of quality up front. Another day we could be three down. That's pretty much the only straw to clutch.

5 minutes ago, Helsinki canary said:

Normann and Mclean have been totally bypassed the whole game , he has to change shape at HT

Well I'll say it, Normann isn't worth £11m.

Hopefully he will prove me wrong 2nd half.

Where is the fight? 

I see Normann winning his challenges and McLean is working hard. Pukki is ploughing a lone furrow. 

Where is our left side? 

Giannoulis on for Williams and anyone on for the Chelski show pony, Gilmour. 

8 minutes ago, alex_ncfc said:

Anyone who thinks we can stay up needs their head checked.

Embarrassing.

If you watched us since new year you’d already realise your statement is bo*****. Are you saying we are always going to play this badly?

We are absolutely atrocious tonight so far, but it’s one half.

Stop the ‘look at me look at me’ rubbish and give some sensible criticism…

Edited by Fiery Zac
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I find strange how we keep playing the ball out wide, whenever we get near their box, just to cross it in to a sub-six-foot lone striker. Predictable and wasteful.

If we’re going to play that, surely put a big target man there? 

Just now, Capt. Pants said:

Certainly not on tonight’s performance 

4 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Don't worry- Mclean and Gilmour will save us! 🙃

2 players who compliment each other very well. Just put cardboard cutouts of them both out 2nd half to get a few blocks in. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

He took ages to get up to speed when we first signed him; looks like the same again.

The frustration is that we performed well in two games we were highly unlikely to win against Man City & Liverpool and then don't turn up tonight on a much more winnable game. Infuriating even. 

Southampton are a good side and haven't lost many at hone for a reason but we HAVE to get amongst them and gave a go. More energy, commitment, oomph. 

• Like 2

Personally would bring Rowe on for Gilmour push Sargent up and go 442. What have we got to lose, we need points.

Just now, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

Still on for my 1-1 prediction though... 

🤪

OTBC

In your dreams!!! We are at our shockingly best tonight. 

I don't like to be negative about individuals but I really don't see what the point of Gilmour is in this team. He's a nonentity off the ball so if he can't get on the ball we might as well have PLM on to add a bit of presence.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Robert N. LiM said:

I don't like to be negative about individuals but I really don't see what the point of Gilmour is in this team. He's a nonentity off the ball so if he can't get on the ball we might as well have PLM on to add a bit of presence.

He wins man of the match for Scotland from time to time and is a Chelsea player so he's world class or something along those lines

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

The problem is that we are being naive and committing ourselves and this allows them to play around us   we just need to keep shape and hit balls into the wide positions for rash and sargent to run onto

Just now, Robert N. LiM said:

I'd rather put Placeta on for Gilmour, with Sargent up top. Be more direct?