Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Your Southampton predictions

I'd take a draw any day of the week. Southampton are on a decent run of form at the moment though, and Broja looks a real player.

I'll be optimistic and predict a 1-1, but suspect they'll squeeze us out by one.

A draw would be an objectively good result, but recent results for other teams mean we really need a win.

Southampton have had some excellent recent results. Be interesting to see how that affects them being at home in a game they're really expected to win. Hopefully we can start well and frustrate their crowd. 

Have to say I'd take a point.

We need to win, without a shadow of a doubt so nothing else will do, but from a realistic result point of view, a draw is feasible and as a standalone result, would be good 

• Like 1

Going off the form book- Southampton have lost 1 in the last 11 in all competitions- you would say its a reasonable bet for a home win. 

But strangely, that almost makes me feel like we're more likely to pull something off. Weird kick off time, off the back of two hardy-but-futile losses, against a team in great form. Something unusual like Placheta 76' 1-0.

• Like 1

Southampton have looked really good particularly the last few games.

In isolation a draw away to them would be a really good result, but can't help feeling we need a win realistically.

1-1 I'm going for - it helps with the confidence and gives us some solidity going into the next game.

1 hour ago, Mason 47 said:

Going off the form book- Southampton have lost 1 in the last 11 in all competitions- you would say its a reasonable bet for a home win. 

But strangely, that almost makes me feel like we're more likely to pull something off. Weird kick off time, off the back of two hardy-but-futile losses, against a team in great form. Something unusual like Placheta 76' 1-0.

But they have mainly drawn, particularly at home. Maybe they are prone to the counter at home.

0-3 I’m afraid. A draw is obviously better that nothing but we’re at the stage where we have to be looking for the win in games like these.

Can’t see it though. Southampton are a good home side and a team we rarely get anything from at their place.

Just like the Newcastle draw earlier in the season, without context a draw would be a good away point in the premier league. However with context I can't really see how anyone can be truly happy with the solitary point. 

So if I were offered a draw right now I would not take it. We need to win and we may as well lose trying...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

So if I were offered a draw right now I would not take it. We need to win and we may as well lose trying...

I think this is a really good approach and one that I hope Smith and the team will be adopting.

I know there's an argument that just a point could end up keeping us up but with the predicament we are in we really need to be going for 3 points in every game (esp with Man City and Liverpool out of the way - the only 2 I would fear giving us a humiliating beating)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

I'd take a draw any day of the week. Southampton are on a decent run of form at the moment though, and Broja looks a real player.

I'll be optimistic and predict a 1-1, but suspect they'll squeeze us out by one.

Must be nice having a choice of Broja, Armstrong & Adams to choose from.

Southampton win 3-1 and the binners are above us by close of play tomorrow...

Or 

Milot scores in the first minute and we hang on for the next 89 then in the 9th minute of stoppage time Jonathan Rowe makes it 2-0.

All the best...

13 minutes ago, rock bus said:

I think this is a really good approach and one that I hope Smith and the team will be adopting.

I know there's an argument that just a point could end up keeping us up but with the predicament we are in we really need to be going for 3 points in every game (esp with Man City and Liverpool out of the way - the only 2 I would fear giving us a humiliating beating)

Yes, exactly, just with the slight caveat that draws against our rivals (Brentford, Leeds etc) are much better than defeats, whereas in games against teams like Southampton a defeat is only one point worse than a draw. We don't care how many points they get this season. Tonight is well worth a calculated risk, I think, hence why I'm slightly tempted by going 442.

7 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

3.1 defeat but lots of positivity on here after. 

Yes that’s a positive result