Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Will Normann go back to Russia at the end of the season?

Obviously we all want him to stay, but I'm sure most of us have accepted that he will be gone if we go down. But with all going on right now in Russia and across Europe will he want to go back to his club?

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

I guess it depends on the terms of his option. We may well still have the right/ability to buy him even if we are in the championship. If we do I would still exercise it if we are reasonably confident he’s got his injury issues under control. Even if it’s just to flip him on to a premier league club for a profit although hopefully he meant what he said last night snd would be keen to stay at the club, 

Can't believe a UK company will be allowed to trade with a Russian one, nor would I want  NCFC to. Morally wrong.

Isn't his wife/partner Russian? 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Can't believe a UK company will be allowed to trade with a Russian one, nor would I want  NCFC to. Morally wrong.

Isn't his wife/partner Russian? 

Money talks. Chelsea will still continue to play and Abramovich wll still continue to own them.

47 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Obviously we all want him to stay, but I'm sure most of us have accepted that he will be gone if we go down. But with all going on right now in Russia and across Europe will he want to go back to his club?

If I remember correctly he said at the outset, long before Russia decided to go to war, that he wanted to leave Rostov. I doubt current events make him keener to go on playing for them. He will get a transfer to a new club in the summer.

I think the contractual position will be subject to FIFA's jurisdiction.  Whilst the UK may prevent trading of UK companies (i.e. NCFC) with Russian companies, Rostov technically still own Normann's registration at the end of the season if Norwich are relegated.  However should Norwich stay up and trigger the option to buy, will FIFA recognise that as the point of transfer of his registration to Norwich? The fact UK Gov could prevent NCFC from completing the financial transaction might just assist our cash flow for next year.  

A more oblique way of getting around the financial transaction is Normann buys his registration from Rostov himself, through funding advanced to him on a loan basis.  Who would do that?  

I've also pondered on when non-Russians working in Russia will take a moral stand (albeit financially having to take a hit on their income) and either make a vocal statement against Russian aggression in Ukraine, or just walk out and leave the country (Come on Farke, your moral compass at Norwich always seemed to be on point).

Then there is the conundrum of Chelski ........ 🤔

What a bloody mess.

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Money talks. Chelsea will still continue to play and Abramovich wll still continue to own them.

Would be so so funny if they froze his assets and Chelsea become financially crippled.

• Haha 1

It may be difficult to complete any financial transaction to secure Normann from Rostov depending on sanctions that may be imposed on Russia.

I think any transfer dealings / player registrations will need to be ratified in some way by UEFA/FIFA.  Uncertain times ahead.

7 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Undoubtedly Chelsea will still play.  Of the 100 Russians facing sanctions, Abramovich must be one of them. He was after all a Russian MP, so no doubt his wealth came through this as a right hand man to tyrant Putin! How many of their current side will want to play for him! 

48 minutes ago, City 2nd said:

Undoubtedly Chelsea will still play.  Of the 100 Russians facing sanctions, Abramovich must be one of them. He was after all a Russian MP, so no doubt his wealth came through this as a right hand man to tyrant Putin! How many of their current side will want to play for him! 

Unfortunately, probably all of them. There might be the odd comment about their disgust at the current situation but sport is above all that and must be allowed to continue  😞

I suspect that for individuals wanting to leave Russia, then the authorities will find a way to help them. When does his contract with Rostov end? It’s also the case that not of Russia seem to agree with the Russian action, so the club might be willing to work with Normann on agreeing some kind of release, then he’d be free to go elsewhere.

Why is it being taken as a given we only have an option to buy if we stay up? That has never been stated anywhere. In my view, if we can then we should exercise the option regardless of which division we are in assuming the fee is not too excessive and he stays injury free for the rest of the season. He’s a top quality, international player and you should take any opportunity you can to acquire them. 

12 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Why is it being taken as a given we only have an option to buy if we stay up? That has never been stated anywhere. In my view, if we can then we should exercise the option regardless of which division we are in assuming the fee is not too excessive and he stays injury free for the rest of the season. He’s a top quality, international player and you should take any opportunity you can to acquire them. 

Just a couple of things though: is he injury prone? That’s a sizeable wedge for a club like us to throw at a player who’ll spend more time on the sidelines than the pitch and the Championship is gruelling. Second, could we not find cheaper, younger with the hope they’ll develop over the season with one eye on promotion? Thirdly, and it sort of fits with the second, we need a DM, and Normann isn’t an out and out enforcer. Really we need two being realistic. Buying him reduces points 2/3 above. I’m not so sure he’s what we need if we go down and want to develop either our players or a younger signing in the centre. 

2 hours ago, City 2nd said:

don't think so

10 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

No - he won't be going back. Mostly because they won't be able to afford to pay him or any other international professionals.

The Russian economy was already a basket case- its totally frucked now and will be for decades.

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

It's interesting that the the money we should receive for Cantwell seems to be exactly what we would need to shell out for Normann. I think it's fairly obvious who we (and Webber) would  rather have.  However I find it hard to believe that the player wouldn't have some kind of release option if we went down. From his perspective, would you sign something that committed you to playing in the Championship even if you'd torn up the Prem?

13 minutes ago, Mr.Carrow said:

It's interesting that the the money we should receive for Cantwell seems to be exactly what we would need to shell out for Normann. I think it's fairly obvious who we (and Webber) would  rather have.  However I find it hard to believe that the player wouldn't have some kind of release option if we went down. From his perspective, would you sign something that committed you to playing in the Championship even if you'd torn up the Prem?

I don’t know to be honest. I’m merely pointing out that we don’t know the option is still not exerciseable if we go down. 

Normann was interviewed recently and he said that he’s feeling settled in Norfolk, and hopes to stay. Sounds to me like he’d probably be willing to stay if we get relegated, but I think in order to pay that £11m fee we will have to rely on PL survival 

Edited by HazzaJet

He's too good and expensive for championship football. I'm sure there will be other suitors

11 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

I think Russia might be looking more appealing after tonight… 🙄

Nothing to achieve in Russia now, they won't be playing any non domestic competitions for years.

15 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Nothing to achieve in Russia now, they won't be playing any non domestic competitions for years.

I’m being disingenuous, agree with you completely, but just trying to make a joke about how awful we were. Bit poor taste tbf! 

Edited by SwearyCanary

The chances of him staying in Russia are pretty slim; the only real chance of it happening would be if governments block trading with Russian businesses in any form and FIFA hold Russian-based players to their contracts. But even in this unlikely event, FIFPro and the courts might have something to say. 

In any event, it's unlikely that he'll be here next season.