Sign in to follow this  
JB

Why not an U23's striker to fill in for Idah?

As has been the knowledge for a good while now, Idah is of course now out, leaving one striker available. I'm not counting Sargent as he seems to be more of a wide player from where he works best. Anyway, why can we not grab a promising striker from our U23's side to have a go as someone to play with Pukki up top or to come on for him from the bench? We surely must have someone who could fit the bill, but as my knowledge of this squad is a bit limited, does anyone know of someone that could make this work? I know we've got players out on loan etc, but there are remaining players who could be worth a look maybe.

Edited by JB

3 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

Someone like Jon Rowe ? 😉

No, he's a winger, surely? I mean someone who could fill Idah's role directly. Out and out striker sort of player. 

On the one hand it's worth a try - a couple of Prem goals and we can stick 10m on their head. 

However, give our strikers out on loan have failed at league one level or below, i doubt any U23 would make much of an impact at our current level. 

Better that than stick Zimbo up top a la Doherty though!

There's a big gap between impressing for the u23s and having an impact at first team Premier League level. Id be surprised if we have anyone who's not already out on loan who we deem as being good enough but would be delighted if wrong.

• Like 1

There's a bit of a gulf between under 23 and premiership as others have found out.

Back in 1998 Adrian Coote couldn't stop scoring for the youth team and reserves.

He couldn't manage to start scoring for the 1st team. 

On 24/02/2022 at 12:26, Somerset exile said:

There's a bit of a gulf between under 23 and premiership as others have found out.

Back in 1998 Adrian Coote couldn't stop scoring for the youth team and reserves.

He couldn't manage to start scoring for the 1st team. 

I played against him a few years ago in a vets match, he was beyond useless.