Sign in to follow this  
Sooty57

Could further sanctions affect some PL teams?

8 hours ago, sgncfc said:

Abramovitch has an Israeli passport now doesn't he? Lots of the "oligarchs" have been busy buying citizenships over the last few years.

And buying the Tory party which is now funded in the main by Russians.

14 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

It doesn't matter when you live if other people's money is where your heart is. 

Anyway, I'm sure Russian money was welcome here even last week...

Undoubtedly! But is it going to be now? watch out Mr Abramovich!  You are one who appears to be on a very slippery slope!

• Like 1

This is great news for Newcastle Utd. That Saudi money turning out to be a shrewd bit of business.

I suspect all this will make very little difference to Premier League clubs.

10 hours ago, sgncfc said:

Abramovitch has an Israeli passport now doesn't he? Lots of the "oligarchs" have been busy buying citizenships over the last few years.

Maybe because his paternal mother and grandparents are Jewish!

The bigger question is what the BRIC, Pacific region (including ANZAC's) and Middle East countries do regarding trading with Russia.  It is arrogant of the West to think that their sanctions will stop Putin, when he has created a new financial infrastructure that is wholly independent of Western trading in the short term. 

Whilst the UK has an incompetent PM in place focussed on saving his own skin and the US have an aged President who hasn't the energy to have an impact on global politics, Russia will continue to thrive no matter what the West does. 

Where is the serious lobbying of India, China, Saudi Arabia etc. by Western leaders at the moment - it's nowhere whilst they continue to focus on their own countries?

What a bloody mess. 

1 hour ago, City 2nd said:

Maybe because his paternal mother and grandparents are Jewish!

Though he only used that connection once the UK refused his visa application in 2018. Many others have used the golden visa scheme to buy UK citizenship and now we can't kick them out.

58 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

The bigger question is what the BRIC, Pacific region (including ANZAC's) and Middle East countries do regarding trading with Russia.  It is arrogant of the West to think that their sanctions will stop Putin, when he has created a new financial infrastructure that is wholly independent of Western trading in the short term. 

Whilst the UK has an incompetent PM in place focussed on saving his own skin and the US have an aged President who hasn't the energy to have an impact on global politics, Russia will continue to thrive no matter what the West does. 

Where is the serious lobbying of India, China, Saudi Arabia etc. by Western leaders at the moment - it's nowhere whilst they continue to focus on their own countries?

What a bloody mess. 

All true, and the Asian/ME block will do little to stop Russia because they need Russian money even more than we do. But rich Russians don't want to live there. They want to ski in Courchevel, safari in South Africa and live in London, Paris, Milan, New York and Miami. They want to walk the catwalks of LA and buy yachts from Germany. They want healthcare, education and fine dining. Freezing of all assets held for any Russian national or organisation and a complete travel ban would hurt them hard and put a lot of internal pressure on Putin. It's pointless being a rich Russian if you can't leave Russia or buy anything in the West. In population terms Russia is a quarter of the size of the EU but with 100 times the natural resources - but massive wealth is worthless without anywhere to go.

Edited by sgncfc

2 hours ago, sgncfc said:

All true, and the Asian/ME block will do little to stop Russia because they need Russian money even more than we do. But rich Russians don't want to live there. They want to ski in Courchevel, safari in South Africa and live in London, Paris, Milan, New York and Miami. They want to walk the catwalks of LA and buy yachts from Germany. They want healthcare, education and fine dining. Freezing of all assets held for any Russian national or organisation and a complete travel ban would hurt them hard and put a lot of internal pressure on Putin. It's pointless being a rich Russian if you can't leave Russia or buy anything in the West. In population terms Russia is a quarter of the size of the EU but with 100 times the natural resources - but massive wealth is worthless without anywhere to go.

We have to hope that ultimately the Russian Mafia will take out Putin.

Putin's actions are as much against the new values of his own people. It's a message to them. This isn't Cold War Russia anymore and Putin doesn't like it.

If, and it probably is a big if, Chelski cannot fulfil their fixtures this season because of sanctions against their owner rendering the club incapable of running as a going concern, will the EPL kick them out?  If so how would numbers be maintained in the Epl - a reduction in number being relegated?  Hypothetical probably, but what a bloody mess!

look out Roman. They are after you!

The government should seize the assets of Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich, a Labour MP has said, citing concerns about alleged links to corruption.

10 hours ago, shefcanary said:

What a bloody mess. 

India have been the biggest recipients of development aid from the uk for decades, as well as links to the commonwealth going back longer. I think we can class them as allies tbh 

On 23/02/2022 at 18:00, Midlands Yellow said:

I think Nutty is alluding to Michael and Delia not wanting any foreigners taking over. 

I think he is also alluding to all of the people who bang on about investment from anywhere no matter what, we'd just take the money so we can be mid table and get to a cup quarter final every once in a decade or so.

1 hour ago, chicken said:

I think he is also alluding to all of the people who bang on about investment from anywhere no matter what, we'd just take the money so we can be mid table and get to a cup quarter final every once in a decade or so.

We love those Sky payments and the parachute payments that follows though hey!! 

14 hours ago, shefcanary said:

If, and it probably is a big if, Chelski cannot fulfil their fixtures this season because of sanctions against their owner rendering the club incapable of running as a going concern, will the EPL kick them out?  If so how would numbers be maintained in the Epl - a reduction in number being relegated?  Hypothetical probably, but what a bloody mess!

Theyd forfeit the games surely ? 

On 24/02/2022 at 00:19, sgncfc said:

Abramovich is Jewish, he obtained his Israeli passport under the law of return, nothing needed to be purchased.

He also obtained his Portuguese passport due to their law of return, as his ancestors were expelled from Portugal. Again, nothing needed buying. 

On 23/02/2022 at 10:48, nutty nigel said:

I hope not. That wouldn't be fair. We should welcome all this foreign investment into our football clubs wherever the money comes from. To do otherwise would make us  racists. 

I think that's how it works anyway..  

On 23/02/2022 at 17:46, nutty nigel said:

It was what I was told..

Who told you that if we didn't welcome any and all foreign investment into our club it's racist Nutty? Name names please. Was it on here? Or one of your friends? A family member? Someone at the club? I'm intrigued as to your source as it's quite the statement to make.

9 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Suddenly people waking up to how so many of our PL clubs are funded and are unhappy. But will it last?

Waking up? You mean some posters weren't aware that Chelsea are owned by a Russian billionaire? Have they been in a coma since 2003? I think everyone is well aware of how the Premier League and the football clubs in it are funded; it's not exactly a state secret.

OTBC

49 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

Who told you that if we didn't welcome any and all foreign investment into our club it's racist Nutty? Name names please. Was it on here? Or one of your friends? A family member? Someone at the club? I'm intrigued as to your source as it's quite the statement to make.

Waking up? You mean some posters weren't aware that Chelsea are owned by a Russian billionaire? Have they been in a coma since 2003? I think everyone is well aware of how the Premier League and the football clubs in it are funded; it's not exactly a state secret.

OTBC

I was referring to calls on national tv for a thorough investigation into how our PL teams are funded.

There have been lots of suggestions on here saying our owners are racist for their views on how some football clubs are funded. It has also been suggested more than once that my views on this are racist. If you need to see examples I suggest you look back over the years at relevant threads.

Surprisingly ManUre doing right by cancelling Aeroflot sponsorship!  I know with them it's only a small drop in their income, but sign of things to come.  UEFA to follow suit with Gazprom soon?  What of Chelski?

Edited by shefcanary

A very interesting discussion . One or two corrections I think pants when talking about Newcastle you forgot about Yemen. And sweary it's a British QAnon myth that India gets any development money from the UK they haven't since 2015. 

However what a great bit of insight that the west has not done anything to engage the Pacific in the sanctions debate. Such that imran Khan was meeting Putin yesterday.

Not sure what any of this has to do with football although the Scots might end up playing Finland in the world cup qualifier on 24 march if Ukraine have to withdraw. Tickets for Hampden ?

And yes 1959 was the year Norwich started their rise from the lower reaches of division 3.

I know I was there.

OTBC

Nice to see Manure terminate their Aeroflot sponsorship deal. Now UEFA have stripped Russia of the CL final I also think they should ban all Russian teams from Europe. Would also love to see Abramovich stripped of the Chelsea ownership, as it might have disastrous consequences for them

7 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Surprisingly ManUre doing right by cancelling Aeroflot sponsorship!  I know with them it's only a small drop in their income, but sign of things to come.  UEFA to follow suit with Gazprom soon?  What of Chelski?

They are American owned. Surprised they teamed with Aeroflot but money talks and the Glazers love money

On 25/02/2022 at 00:46, Midlands Yellow said:

We love those Sky payments and the parachute payments that follows though hey!! 

Not as good as a second or several more seasons in the premier league.

Statement from Abramovic

"During my nearly 20-year ownership of Chelsea FC, I have always viewed my role as a custodian of the Club, whose job it is ensuring that we are as successful as we can be today, as well as build for the future, while also playing a positive role in our communities. I have always taken decisions with the Club’s best interest at heart. I remain committed to these values. That is why I am today giving trustees of Chelsea’s charitable Foundation the stewardship and care of Chelsea FC.

I believe that currently they are in the best position to look after the interests of the Club, players, staff, and fans."

So that's how to get around sanctions. Still good to know he recognises the current "difficulty". But who are the trustees?

53 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Obramavich has just left Chelsea

He still owns it

Meanwhile in t’Barnsley 

image.thumb.png.ddaa960e796e0d2313df0931cc8c5a50.png

Edited by GenerationA47