Sign in to follow this  
NWC

1J e-sports FIFA team

The club have announced their e-sports fifa team with the winner going on to represent the club against other premier league teams. 
One of my lad’s mates has qualified to play, made more unusual by the fact that we live in North Wales and he supports Liverpool, but he strategically picked Norwich to bypass the better players who have naturally picked the glory teams. 
So I believe, there are 8 from each prem team in a play off, with the winners playing live on tv (YouTube) in Liverpool later in the month. 

He already has his shirt which looks great apart from the absence of Norwich badges!

image.thumb.jpeg.6870bfc635b5a25072f82cb792fca7c4.jpeg

https://www.canaries.co.uk/content/club-launches-first-ever-esports-team-1j-esports

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, NWC said:

The club have announced their e-sports fifa team with the winner going on to represent the club against other premier league teams. 
One of my lad’s mates has qualified to play, made more unusual by the fact that we live in North Wales and he supports Liverpool, but he strategically picked Norwich to bypass the better players who have naturally picked the glory teams. 
So I believe, there are 8 from each prem team in a play off, with the winners playing live on tv (YouTube) in Liverpool later in the month. 

He already has his shirt which looks great apart from the absence of Norwich badges!

image.thumb.jpeg.6870bfc635b5a25072f82cb792fca7c4.jpeg

https://www.canaries.co.uk/content/club-launches-first-ever-esports-team-1j-esports

People will actually watch other people play computer games? Don't get me wrong, I play Fifa and other games, but watching other people play is dull as dishwater.

27 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

People will actually watch other people play computer games? Don't get me wrong, I play Fifa and other games, but watching other people play is dull as dishwater.

They're talking about including e-sports into the Olympics 🙄

6 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

They're talking about including e-sports into the Olympics 🙄

I get that there is skill involved; thinking time is massive, reactions, so there is something to be admired about people who reach the top of a field that has billions of participants. But as a spectator sport? I mean each to their own but it just seems a complete waste of time to me.

But then I like watching Chess, so what do I know?

8 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I get that there is skill involved; thinking time is massive, reactions, so there is something to be admired about people who reach the top of a field that has billions of participants. But as a spectator sport? I mean each to their own but it just seems a complete waste of time to me.

I really enjoy the top e-sports competitions. Fifa a little less so, but Battle Royale games with £250k on the line in a 35 minute game of tactics, gun skill and movement get the geek side of me going!

Conversely, relating to something you enjoy that I dont, I'd rather watch a top E-Sports FIFA tournament than the England Women's game you went to. Sounds bizarre saying it out loud!

9 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

People also watch other people watching television. Some people get very excited about a TV programme where people guess who is singing inside a costume.

I'm with you, I don't get it.

Fortunately we don't have to watch it.

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Sounds bizarre saying it out loud!

Yes, it does. Watching the best 14 female football players our country has to offer in a quality football stadium with a surprisingly decent atmosphere can't even be compared to watching pixelated figures on a screen, however talented the person controlling them is.

In fact, it's very bizarre. Presumably your lack of interest in the England Women's team is due to a lack of quality. But you'll watch figures on a screen with zero quality (because they don't exist) ahead of it? Or you admire the quality of how someone can move their fingers around a controller more than a highly-trained, ultra-fit athlete hit a technically superb volley into the back of the net (see England v Canada last week), presumably because it's not as exciting when a woman does it? I'm not trying to be antagonist, just genuinely curious as to your mindset. I appreciate it's one you share with millions and millions of others as well.

Edited by canarydan23

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

Yes, it does. Watching the best 14 female football players our country has to offer in a quality football stadium with a surprisingly decent atmosphere can't even be compared to watching pixelated figures on a screen, however talented the person controlling them is.

In fact, it's very bizarre. Presumably your lack of interest in the England Women's team is due to a lack of quality. But you'll watch figures on a screen with zero quality (because they don't exist) ahead of it? Or you admire the quality of how someone can move their fingers around a controller more than a highly-trained, ultra-fit athlete hit a technically superb volley into the back of the net (see England v Canada last week), presumably because it's not as exciting when a woman does it? I'm not trying to be antagonist, just genuinely curious as to your mindset. I appreciate it's one you share with millions and millions of others as well.

I'll try answer as best as possible. I think quality has a lot to do with it, but with women's football being new in relative terms, it's also a lack of affiliation. In the same way I guess I have no interest in going to watch some league two football, unless Norwich were in it, then the affiliation takes over.

Unlike women's football, I grew up with the competitive gaming scene so again there's some slight affiliation with different organisations and on top of that, in the e-sports scene (particularly Call of Duty, it must be said) the top tier players are full of both men and women and it's very competitive. 

I tried to get into Women's football with the World Cup, or at least I think it was that. I find it very hard to watch because you've always got men's as a comparison and it's just for me, so painfully dull and slow-paced in comparison. I personally think they should try making it a slightly different sport - smaller goals for starters to deal with the reality of physical differences - that would be a start. Saying that, I'm not sure it would convert me and if those who already enjoy it don't want it to change then I have absolutely no right to say otherwise!

Interesting reading people's perceptions of eSports. It's a huge thing these days and it's pushing a billion dollar industry. Try not to see eSports as just real sports played virtually, but other video game genres are represented at competition level too. Games such as Dota 2 for example has prize money into the millions and attracts vast amounts of spectators. I'm personally not interested in watching competition video games, but as someone who enjoys video games, I can certainly appreciate there is a mammoth market for this. It might seem bizarre to many who don't know much about it all, but it is credible as a growing industry. I wish our eSports team all the best. 

16 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I'll try answer as best as possible. I think quality has a lot to do with it, but with women's football being new in relative terms, it's also a lack of affiliation. In the same way I guess I have no interest in going to watch some league two football, unless Norwich were in it, then the affiliation takes over.

Unlike women's football, I grew up with the competitive gaming scene so again there's some slight affiliation with different organisations and on top of that, in the e-sports scene (particularly Call of Duty, it must be said) the top tier players are full of both men and women and it's very competitive. 

I tried to get into Women's football with the World Cup, or at least I think it was that. I find it very hard to watch because you've always got men's as a comparison and it's just for me, so painfully dull and slow-paced in comparison. I personally think they should try making it a slightly different sport - smaller goals for starters to deal with the reality of physical differences - that would be a start. Saying that, I'm not sure it would convert me and if those who already enjoy it don't want it to change then I have absolutely no right to say otherwise!

I agree with the affiliation thing, it's why I have no interest in women's football at club level because I have no interest in the teams competing in it. However, despite having almost all patriotism stamped out of me by the high proportion of morons that represent our country globally, the flame still flickers for sport. It's why I get so into the Olympics, even the obscure sports, and why I'm still struggling to stay awake due to lost sleep because of the weekend's Curling.

It's why the quality thing doesn't really bother me at all. I just need a dog in the fight. I'd enjoy watching Norwich play out a turgid 0-0 draw in the Conference South against Swindon Supermarine many, many times more than I'd enjoy a 4-3 classic between Man City and Liverpool in a Premier League title race. Similarly, if England Women were playing in a meaningful match at the same time as a Champions League final between Barcelona and Borussia Dortmund, I'd watch the former every single time. And that works across sports as well; I'd sooner watch one of my favourite Snooker players than a football match involving two teams I have no affiliation with, regardless of the standard of the teams.

So, the relative newness of the sport doesn't matter to me, it's an England team competing at the top level of their field. What's in their pants, how fast they run and whether their passing is quick and accurate enough to make Pep Guardiola proud or at a level that would embarrass Salhouse Rovers, is largely irrelevant for me.

But I have to be watching real people doing physical things beyond moving their hands and fingers in a certain way whilst sat in a fancy gaming chair.

Netflix has an interesting "Explained" short documentary about e-sports. I watched it once & that's about the limit of my knowledge & interest in it. It does seem to be a thriving industry which attracts huge crowds & serious sponsorship.

3 hours ago, hogesar said:

Making the pitches 20 percent smaller would make it seem faster 

16 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

14 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

I agree with the affiliation thing, it's why I have no interest in women's football at club level because I have no interest in the teams competing in it. However, despite having almost all patriotism stamped out of me by the high proportion of morons that represent our country globally, the flame still flickers for sport. It's why I get so into the Olympics, even the obscure sports, and why I'm still struggling to stay awake due to lost sleep because of the weekend's Curling.

It's why the quality thing doesn't really bother me at all. I just need a dog in the fight. I'd enjoy watching Norwich play out a turgid 0-0 draw in the Conference South against Swindon Supermarine many, many times more than I'd enjoy a 4-3 classic between Man City and Liverpool in a Premier League title race. Similarly, if England Women were playing in a meaningful match at the same time as a Champions League final between Barcelona and Borussia Dortmund, I'd watch the former every single time. And that works across sports as well; I'd sooner watch one of my favourite Snooker players than a football match involving two teams I have no affiliation with, regardless of the standard of the teams.

So, the relative newness of the sport doesn't matter to me, it's an England team competing at the top level of their field. What's in their pants, how fast they run and whether their passing is quick and accurate enough to make Pep Guardiola proud or at a level that would embarrass Salhouse Rovers, is largely irrelevant for me.

But I have to be watching real people doing physical things beyond moving their hands and fingers in a certain way whilst sat in a fancy gaming chair.

So formula 1 fits into this category too? Not trying to be an antagonist either and also not into E-sports personally. I however have to agree with hogesar on some level. It mostly depends on what you’re interested in personally and your reasons for watching anything. I will watch olympics to see my nation compete, but not if the sport doesn’t interest or entertain me. I will watch any team play a sport which does entertain me if played at an entertaining and high level, eg I’m no fan of Man City or Liverpool but will happily watch and be absorbed by a game between them as it is the best quality in the land. I’m not at all interested in some sports so regardless of who is competing I won’t watch, eg E sports, F1, horse racing. I also have limited interest in woman’s football as at the top level it understandably is way off. This is not a remark on it being ‘bad’ it’s just context. I find it frustrating to watch but will not rule it out long term as quality improves. 
Essentially though, people watch what they find entertaining to them and the reasons for this vary from person to person and sport to sport and questioning anyone on their perception of a sport or reason they don’t watch is pretty moot. I don’t enjoy the music of Prince, but accept other people do. They’re not wrong, neither am I - it’s just preference. Good luck to win end football, it’ll be fine without me watching it and plenty of people love it so it won’t matter if I think currently it just isn’t very good for me. 

sweary 

• Like 1

I think the male football v female football viewership thing can be a little overplayed as gender is one of those subjects that demands friction in current society.

I couldnt care less about F1 or NFL, they don't interest me. Similarly I won't watch Premier League unless it specifically matters to Norwich City, whole lot of 'who cares' otherwise. Not a shocking take, really. But if you were then to say, women's football doesn't interest me, there is an inherent need to make it about male/female prejudice.

It's OK not to like things.

• Like 1

Its almost like the modern day equivalent of being a professional chess player, not too dissimilar from a lot of pub sports too. Younger people were stuck indoors for a long time due to lockdown and Esports exploded because thats pretty much all they could do. It'd be cool to see 1JE go into different markets than FIFA because from my knowledge FIFA is one of the less respected scenes with smaller prizes and viewership. Games like CS:GO and Dota 2 have prize pools in the millions and stadium hosted events, I probably wouldnt turn up to carrow road for it though 😅 

On 22/02/2022 at 16:14, JB said:

Interesting reading people's perceptions of eSports. It's a huge thing these days and it's pushing a billion dollar industry. Try not to see eSports as just real sports played virtually, but other video game genres are represented at competition level too. Games such as Dota 2 for example has prize money into the millions and attracts vast amounts of spectators. I'm personally not interested in watching competition video games, but as someone who enjoys video games, I can certainly appreciate there is a mammoth market for this. It might seem bizarre to many who don't know much about it all, but it is credible as a growing industry. I wish our eSports team all the best. 

It shouldn’t be called e-sports though as it’s not sport. It’s people playing computer games. And whilst I know some games can be good for coordination or indeed helpful to those on the spectrum with certain conditions (so I’m not saying there is no place for it) I think it’s a really bad alternative to getting your kids out there playing sport snd actually exercising thus improving their fitness. We should not be actively encouraging young people to play computer games for excessive periods of time. 

2 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

It shouldn’t be called e-sports though as it’s not sport. It’s people playing computer games. And whilst I know some games can be good for coordination or indeed helpful to those on the spectrum with certain conditions (so I’m not saying there is no place for it) I think it’s a really bad alternative to getting your kids out there playing sport snd actually exercising thus improving their fitness. We should not be actively encouraging young people to play computer games for excessive periods of time. 

Although I take the point it’s probably a good alternative to them hanging around on the streets getting into gangs etc! 

Norwich won the tournament 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼image.thumb.png.66620bb9bb6c50d895551d244cd2af61.png

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NWC said:

Norwich won the tournament 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼image.thumb.png.66620bb9bb6c50d895551d244cd2af61.png

Wow.

I took two ****s today and wouldn't give either of them to that news.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, NWC said:

Great news. A lot of money and 'brand awareness' in e-sports. 

May also help getting young fans on board.

What's not to like?

21 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Wow.

I took two ****s today and wouldn't give either of them to that news.

Yeah, it’s all about you mate. 🙄

8 minutes ago, NWC said:

Yeah, it’s all about you mate. 🙄

I’m with Dan on this one. Well done to the two lads, one of which we suspect is a Liverpool fan from north Wales. The fact the shirts don’t carry the badge tells you how related to football this achievement is. If this in anyway improves our football team then I’m all ears, but in the words of Alan Hansen “you don’t win anything with actual kids or people that can’t tell you what the sun looks like”

Edited by SwearyCanary

13 hours ago, SwearyCanary said:

I’m with Dan on this one. Well done to the two lads, one of which we suspect is a Liverpool fan from north Wales. The fact the shirts don’t carry the badge tells you how related to football this achievement is. If this in anyway improves our football team then I’m all ears, but in the words of Alan Hansen “you don’t win anything with actual kids or people that can’t tell you what the sun looks like”

No he didn't make it passed round 2, and if virtual football is not related to football I don't kniw what is (apart from actual football of course).

Yes I was dissapointed the kit didn't carry the club badge too, and I cannot understand why not. It surely isn't a rhetoric from the club as they are crowing about the victory on the official site home page. 

I still think that anything that raises the profile of the club in a positive light must be a good thing for PR, sponsorship etc., and shouldn't be dismissed as just "something that nerdy kids do".

9 hours ago, NWC said:

No he didn't make it passed round 2, and if virtual football is not related to football I don't kniw what is (apart from actual football of course).

Yes I was dissapointed the kit didn't carry the club badge too, and I cannot understand why not. It surely isn't a rhetoric from the club as they are crowing about the victory on the official site home page. 

I still think that anything that raises the profile of the club in a positive light must be a good thing for PR, sponsorship etc., and shouldn't be dismissed as just "something that nerdy kids do".

Virtual football is as related to real football as virtual brain surgery is to being a brain surgeon. If you’re good at computer games great. But it’s neither physically nor tactically the same thing. Replace the football pixels for tennis balls and I bet these gents would be great at that in an hour or two. Honestly, I don’t feel this raises the profile of the club in any way. Because computer games have no bearing on the performances on the pitch and ask every fan on here whether this sideshow of a victory makes them feel any better about the season we have had in the real world and I think you’d find a tiny tiny number feeling this gives us any kudos. 
If anything it is actually more embarrassing that we mention it at all as it’s likely to make the football world laugh at us for clutching at some straws. 
The only reason we win is literally because they decided to give the prem clubs names over to this tournament. These could’ve been representing Mulbarton Youth and they’d still have won and beaten the might of Man City or whoever. It’s not a giant killing because IT’S NOT F***ING REAL. 

And to clarify, I’m NOT disappointed the kit didn’t carry the badge, I’m over the bloody moon it didn’t. It at gives us some deniability to bring associated with this utter crud 

22 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

I can't wait to hear what the Ipswich fans think of this celebration.

I'm pretty sure they only recently found out about electricity so no risk of them being involved in this as of yet.