Sign in to follow this  
Tom NCFC

How committed are the players?

I''ve always wondered how much commitment is left in the game. Players like Ashton move on after 1 or 2 seasons at a club for various reasons such as more money, higher status etc etc. There isn''t many players really commited to one club any more. For example take Paulo Maldini, he''s been at AC Milan for coming up to 15-20 years because he loves the club. Ryan Giggs he''s been at Man Utd for a very long time. I mean when talking about commitment and Norwich we recently have had players who are committed to the club, like Iwan Roberts, Craig Fleming ever Robert Green but how committed are the rest of the current squad. I mean, is Huckerby here because he likes the club or is he here because where else would he go? I think Safri is committed considered Feyenoord come in for him (Spaculation) and he rejected them. But what about the Robinsons, the Etuhus, the Charltons of the club. I''d like to know what you guys think!

Cheers

How loyal would they be if AC and Man U werent heavyweight teams? Its funny that you consider Green comitted, but are unsure of Huckerby. I put them both in the same category though its not meant as an insult; ie what better chances have they let go by?

Your examples of Giggs & Maldini have one little flaw... They are already at massive clubs who win things & pay good wages! Why would they want to move on when they already have guaranteed success & cash?

Iwan (who is my all time favourite player) gave 100% effort, scored goals & importantly made me smile every week. However, he wasn''t the most skilfull player of all time & big clubs weren''t exactly knocking our door down to sign him. If you look at our players over the years who have played the most games for us, they are never world beaters (unfortunately). But they are always my favourites! Hucks seems to be the exception to the rule. There are bigger clubs than us who would like him in their squads & would pay bigger wages but he seems happy here & has stated on more than one occasion he wants to finish his carreer here. He will become a true canary legend & probably go down in history as the best player to stay here for a long period of time!

Is that loyalty?

I''m sure it would be far easier to claim loyalty when your club is winning tropies every year in the cases of Ryan Giggs and Maldini.

Loyalty is:

Steve Bull - Wolves from 1986 to 1999. Total of 306 goals, 18 hatricks and and once scoring 52 goals in one season.

All of these clubs tried to sign him:Aston Villa, Coventry City, Newcastle United and even Juventus. And after 13 England caps, some of which he gained whilst playing for Wolves in the old division three, you would have thought he if anyone would move on to bigger and better things. But no. He was loyal to the core.

Mathhew Le Tissier is another one but I can''t be bothered to dig up the stats.

Ok I see your point about my examples, so i''ll give you another (sorry if i get his name wrong but) Gary or Graham Alexander of Preston. He has been at Preston for a long time and a few bigger clubs have wanted his services over the year.

Graham Alexander:

Joined Preston in 1999 from Luton who signed him in 1995 from Scunthrpe who he signed for in 1990 from trainee.

21 Scotland Caps.

Been around a little bit. Just Mildly slutty but not a complete slag.

As committed as any employee is to its employer - treated fairly and rewarded well then loyalty will follow;  if opportunites dnt arise to make the most of your talents, you feel undervalued or someone head hunters you for more money then who amongst you would find yourself totally committed?

Its no different with footballers.

Look at Craig Fleming, Greeno, even the old stalwart of his Day Daryl Sutch... all loyal footballers to the city cause... they have seen the good and the bad times...havent moved on (in greenos case probably to his hinderance) and have decided to ride the storm....

Say what u want about Sutchys football skills.. he was a loyal servant to the club.. Stayed with us all through europe and Relegation... Showed guts at Cardiff in the playoff final with that Penalty... and was then given the boot without a decent send off.. which surely his professionalism if nothing else deserved?

jas :)