Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Worthy Nigelton

Brandon Williams

Recommended Posts

Nice article in the pinkun where he talks about how much he is enjoying it here. I'll admit, I was one of those at the start of the season that felt Dimi should be in but credit to Williams his form is great and he has made the position his own. I still think he needs to work on things high up the pitch, but defensively he is sound and he's as hard as nails. You always get 100% and as fans that's all we can ask. The fact he is saying how much he likes it here will endear him to the fans as well.

Keep it up Brandon lad.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great lad but didn't Ragnarock or whatever his name is say he's in his plans and won't be staying here?

 

Falling in love with loan players sucks

 

Found it. Should not be a surprise but shame how Man United clearly didnt want him until he came to us. Doubt he will start over Shaw either.

https://metro.co.uk/2022/02/17/ralf-rangnick-tells-manchester-united-loan-star-brandon-williams-he-wants-him-back-at-the-club-16120268/

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Great lad but didn't Ragnarock or whatever his name is say he's in his plans and won't be staying here?

CC, didn't you read the pink'un article (I know you never do but ...), if you had in it Williams says that article was pure bunk'em, all he has said to Rangnik is "Hi"!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

CC, didn't you read the pink'un article (I know you never do but ...), if you had in it Williams says that article was pure bunk'em, all he has said to Rangnik is "Hi"!

No, no I didnt. Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, I was also one calling for Dimi to take his place earlier in season. But has great attitude and works hard, even if limited in attacking sense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really decent and combative player with big future in a mid table premier league club and on decent wages. Both of the latter mean he won’t come to us as we are not a mid table epl club and can’t afford to pay decent wages.

it’s a shame but it’s our reality.
 

Sweary  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like a young Matt Damon, so that’s good enough for me. And once you see it you can’t unsee it. What a hero!

Brandon Williams

image.png.be99d5ef48d57de537083ba935306d39.png

Young Matt Damon

image.thumb.jpeg.5df911582d5e654bd176501c1d100a98.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Danke bitte said:

Looks like a young Matt Damon, so that’s good enough for me. And once you see it you can’t unsee it. What a hero!

Brandon Williams

image.png.be99d5ef48d57de537083ba935306d39.png

Young Matt Damon

image.thumb.jpeg.5df911582d5e654bd176501c1d100a98.jpeg

Good Will-iams Hunting?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No nonsense and love his bursts of pace. Bit harsh saying he's limited going forwards too, was a great ball into Idah vs Everton. Also love the fact he hasn't changed his hairstyle since primary school. Almost a throw back in style - I'd recommend a mullet to hit legend status

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Danke bitte said:

Looks like a young Matt Damon, so that’s good enough for me. And once you see it you can’t unsee it. What a hero!

Brandon Williams

image.png.be99d5ef48d57de537083ba935306d39.png

Young Matt Damon

image.thumb.jpeg.5df911582d5e654bd176501c1d100a98.jpeg

Nope

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No surprise that he is enjoying himself here. 

Like all other footballers, of any standing, it is always enjoyable when you are playing the game and very frustrating when you are watching. 

The absurd number of substitutes nowadays denies many excellent players the opportunity to play the game and the paying public the opportunity to see them play.

Nine substitutes sitting on the bench in Premiership matches can get little enjoyment from the game other than that of picking up their pay packets.

Players benefit in so many ways by playing the game. Their games improve, their enjoyment improves and, unfortunately, in the case of loans, their value improves, making it difficult for the clubs giving them the opportunities, in many cases, to buy the player concerned.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he has done well to adapt to a huge change in surroundings. He rents Jordan Hugill's house which is more or less on the middle of nowhere West of Norwich although a couple of other players have houses on the development, but a major change from the big city life he is used to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought he was unfairly not wanted by some here in the first few games despite being abundantly clear he is a step up on Gianoullis. 

Been quality all season and wouldn't be hugely surprised to see him in Uniteds 18 next season

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Thought he was unfairly not wanted by some here in the first few games despite being abundantly clear he is a step up on Gianoullis.

Agreed, even in the early stages of the season the majority seemed to want Giannoulis in the side even though Williams was performing a lot better than he was given credit for. 

Since Normann's injury, Williams has probably been our best player.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Danke bitte said:

Looks like a young Matt Damon, so that’s good enough for me. And once you see it you can’t unsee it. What a hero!

Brandon Williams

image.png.be99d5ef48d57de537083ba935306d39.png

Young Matt Damon

image.thumb.jpeg.5df911582d5e654bd176501c1d100a98.jpeg

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought he had a very impressive second half when we actually had the ball against one of the toughest opponents out there. He drove forward & gave width & support to the forward line, looked comfortable on the ball and was for the most part solid defensively. He's getting better as the season progresses. Shame he's not one of ours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good player and a fantastic attitude, a great signing imo.

To be fair to Gilmour he has a good attitude too, but perhaps we haven't seen the best performances from him. Two cracking young players.

It's a shame their attitude, particularly Brandon's, didn't rub off on one of our so called star players although to balance things I believe TC did well in his loan at a similar stage in his career.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/02/2022 at 13:25, Worthy Nigelton said:

Nice article in the pinkun where he talks about how much he is enjoying it here. I'll admit, I was one of those at the start of the season that felt Dimi should be in but credit to Williams his form is great and he has made the position his own. I still think he needs to work on things high up the pitch, but defensively he is sound and he's as hard as nails. You always get 100% and as fans that's all we can ask. The fact he is saying how much he likes it here will endear him to the fans as well.

Keep it up Brandon lad.

Hold my hands up I wasn't keen. He's won me round the lad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ward 3 said:

Hold my hands up I wasn't keen. He's won me round the lad

Ditto, although I worry what will happen at the end of the season if we go down. Williams will go, but will Giannoulis want to stay after warming the bench all season?

I agree, though, with people who say Williams has earned his place and his attitude seems great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe united would let him stay, loan to buy option if we go up maybe? Can we see him being first choice for them? Being realistic 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Ward 3 said:

Maybe united would let him stay, loan to buy option if we go up maybe? Can we see him being first choice for them? Being realistic 

Maybe they see him as a successor to Shaw, who knows. Mind you it's not like Wan-Bissaka has been ripping up trees at right back either although Dalot has come in and done ok. Like most big clubs their use/progression of youth is sporadic at best.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's been very good after a slightly wobbly start. Doubt we'll see him or Dimi here next season though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As it looks like we will be in the champs again next season I'd imagine Neither will be here next year unfortunately, but Would love Williams to stay for an extra years loan with buy option on promotion or something along those lines.... To be honest I fully expect McCallum to be our LB next season with a new signing/youngling to be the cover 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

Ditto, although I worry what will happen at the end of the season if we go down. Williams will go, but will Giannoulis want to stay after warming the bench all season?

But has he been unfairly treated, or the choice been unjustified? Williams has been better than him, simple as that, so I don't see why he'd want to throw his toys out of the pram and ask to leave on the basis of that.

If we go down, I'm sure Giannoulis would be first choice next season. If he doesn't want to be, that would be on him, but he has no reason to be unhappy, in my opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to say I find the Brandon Williams debate puzzling. Yes we all have our loyalty to our actual players, and yes we might not like Man Utd, and yes it might feel uncomfortable to have a right footer playing at left back (I might be biased here as Im right footed and I loved playing left back, even though my team kept wanting to put me on the right) but Im a bit puzzled by the idea that Brandon Williams suddenly got better.

My brother in law is a Man Utd fan and I messaged him several times in the first few games of the season to say how good I thought Williams was and how several times he was having a great game or was MOM.

This idea that he was poor but is now great to me is bunkum. Right from the start Williams' tackling was exceptional, particularly in its timing, the way he watches the ball, times his challenge and usually wins the ball. His ability to read the game and intercept passes is also very noticeable, no better example being his interception, and then perfect pass for Idah in the Everton win. His surging runs forward have been an important attacking outlet for us this season, and he's done it far more than max on the other flank who you'd expect it from. 

I was impressed with Williams pretty much from the off, even if I did want Giannoulis to see off the challenge.

I never really understood the criticism and aggression he attracted from posters on here, and I wondered sometimes if I was watching a different game to them.

Could this be some ugly prejudice that people are only beginning to see through? Quite possibly the same is true of our welcome of Billy Gilmour - and although Im not impressed with him, I have been hostile - but this is nothing against the lad himself, more to do with the politics of football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

I have to say I find the Brandon Williams debate puzzling. Yes we all have our loyalty to our actual players, and yes we might not like Man Utd, and yes it might feel uncomfortable to have a right footer playing at left back (I might be biased here as Im right footed and I loved playing left back, even though my team kept wanting to put me on the right) but Im a bit puzzled by the idea that Brandon Williams suddenly got better.

My brother in law is a Man Utd fan and I messaged him several times in the first few games of the season to say how good I thought Williams was and how several times he was having a great game or was MOM.

This idea that he was poor but is now great to me is bunkum. Right from the start Williams' tackling was exceptional, particularly in its timing, the way he watches the ball, times his challenge and usually wins the ball. His ability to read the game and intercept passes is also very noticeable, no better example being his interception, and then perfect pass for Idah in the Everton win. His surging runs forward have been an important attacking outlet for us this season, and he's done it far more than max on the other flank who you'd expect it from. 

I was impressed with Williams pretty much from the off, even if I did want Giannoulis to see off the challenge.

I never really understood the criticism and aggression he attracted from posters on here, and I wondered sometimes if I was watching a different game to them.

Could this be some ugly prejudice that people are only beginning to see through? Quite possibly the same is true of our welcome of Billy Gilmour - and although Im not impressed with him, I have been hostile - but this is nothing against the lad himself, more to do with the politics of football.

I don't agree with this. He wasn't great in the first 10 or 15 games at all. I'd argue that going forward he was poor or even very poor at the start of the season. That doesn't detract from the fact that he is now performing exceptionally well and it's great to see, but you can't re-write the story. Nothing to do with Man Utd connections, just that he wasn't doing it but that is what young players are like and is the reason he is here. We are fulfilling our role as the loan-club in much the same way we did with Skipp (who I also thought started the season slowly but got better and better as it went on).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

I don't agree with this. He wasn't great in the first 10 or 15 games at all. I'd argue that going forward he was poor or even very poor at the start of the season. That doesn't detract from the fact that he is now performing exceptionally well and it's great to see, but you can't re-write the story. Nothing to do with Man Utd connections, just that he wasn't doing it but that is what young players are like and is the reason he is here. We are fulfilling our role as the loan-club in much the same way we did with Skipp (who I also thought started the season slowly but got better and better as it went on).

 

Not re-writing anything, as I said in my post, I sent messages praising Williams to my brother in law at the time. For me I dont see any major difference in his performances. Only the perception of the fans. Football is a game all about opinions. Im simply stating mine that I thought he was impressive right from the start, and whilst I thought he was playing well, other fans were slagging him off

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...