Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Pinkun App or The Athletic

I haven't tried the Pink Un app, but I do like the Athletic, which has City news and other relevant football information as well.

• Like 2

Agree I have the athletic which has a heck of a lot of content in it that a local version will struggle to compete with 

or you can ignore and just follow sexy Bennett on Twitter for all the latest ncfc gossip 

Edited by Uncle Fred

47 minutes ago, Chelm Canary said:

But it's not like we're posting on the pinkun right now

Message board is fine ( when it’s working ) it is the rest  that I’m querying

2 hours ago, crab man said:

Pinkun homepage is not even worth looking at any more. Such a shame 

Agreed. I won't be paying - for any of them - and it's a shame the main page isn't worth it anymore.

Athletic is soooooo much better. The Pink Un suffers from being too one dimensional that readers just get channelled down into thinking we are the only club with ‘problems’ or dissatisfied fans and unfortunately doesn’t have the bravery to offer neutral and objective insight. The recent Brandon Williams article proves this, with the author openly talking about disliking Man Utd and it biassing his first impressions of him. Well done for admitting you were wrong, but really? You’re a journalist, grow up and put aside your 12 year old irrational dislike of another teams success in the 90s-00s. How can anyone now trust your POV when we know you wrote an article as ill informed as you did? Maybe we can read it and then decide a few months later if we should’ve taken it as some indication you have a clue!? 
Shame not to have quality insight more close to home, but the athletic offers scrutiny rather than ‘let’s not annoy our the club we represent in case they bin us off’. 

The forums are a good read now and then. Some good characters on here, but I do fear for the pink un long term. That said Im not sure the athletic will do so well at covering us in the Championship (they barely care when we are in the EPL), so the pink un may yet cling on. I am interested in wide football issues and other sport as well which means if you are only going to spend a few on one it has to be the Athletic 

that’s my two pence 

sweary

I subscribed to Pinkun+ at the annual rate of £19.99. At 38p per week, I reckon that's good value.

The Athletic are the enemies of local journalism. If you care about your local news, support your local paper. Not some American company that couldn't care less about Norwich and Norfolk.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Pyro Pete said:

I subscribed to Pinkun+ at the annual rate of £19.99. At 38p per week, I reckon that's good value.

The Athletic are the enemies of local journalism. If you care about your local news, support your local paper. Not some American company that couldn't care less about Norwich and Norfolk.

Yet their norwich information is written by a local journalist. The quality of the journalism in the pink un isn’t as good. I don’t blindly buy products just because they happen to be made near where I live for so many reasons but mainly if I can actually get better elsewhere. The Pink un need to make it so that their local knowledge and insight can’t be beaten, but so often their articles are quoted from one someone’s already written or are just written poorly and offer nothing but opinion, which is mostly subjective. 
Each to their own, but I work hard for my money so I want it spent on the best I can get, which completely objectively is not the Pink Un. 

Edited by SwearyCanary
Better make my point

I haven’t tried the pinkun app but personally the athletic left me cold even at £1 a month they now want to offer it to me at $1. Michael Bailey is ok but the shoehorning of pointless stats into everything was very odd. Most article start off well then all of a sudden someone is telling about how many positive carry forwards a player has this season. Without any context at all. I actually liked the more magazine style articles about past and current players but these disappeared from the athletic.The podcasts are dreadful as well. I agree the pinkun website has fallen off a bit of cliff.

I suppose what is happening to Norwich coverage is that people are having to decide if they want to pay for Journalism or not.

16 minutes ago, Paint Me Yellow said:

I don't need an app, I've got a Canary from Cambridgeshire to tell me all I need to know...

In fairness I use the message board to keep up to date with stuff now the local rag has gone paywall. 

I subscribed to pinkun+ and think it's well worth it. I listen to some of the podcasts and videos while I'm working or washing up etc. They seem to have more articles (and longer/better articles) since the switch, and things like the Chris Sutton Q&A were pretty good. Hopefully we get more of that kind of thing. 

I think I would miss the pinkun if they couldn't afford to keep it going, so I am more than happy to pay £20 a year for it. 

As for the Athletic, I've had a couple of free trials to that in the past and I think some of Michael's articles were really good, some I wasn't as bothered about. I didn't read enough to make it worth it.

At the end of the day I'm happy to pay a couple of quid a month for the convenience of reading pinkun articles knowing the money (mostly?) goes to local journos, rather than an American company that said they wanted to kill off our local journalism! (Although that was probably mainly a marketing tactic to grab attention...)

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Argos said:

rather than an American company that said they wanted to kill off our local journalism! (Although that was probably mainly a marketing tactic to grab attention...)

I think it is a called a business plan. Kill the competition then once it’s dead ramp up the prices.

3 hours ago, Argos said:

At the end of the day I'm happy to pay a couple of quid a month for the convenience of reading pinkun articles knowing the money (mostly?) goes to local journos, rather than an American company that said they wanted to kill off our local journalism! (Although that was probably mainly a marketing tactic to grab attention...)

Fair point. We should do more to encourage local journalism - we would miss it if it went! (Especially if the Tories get rid of Radio Norfolk as well!)

• Like 1

It doesn’t strike me as comparing like with like, and so I would have thought which one prefers depends whether one is interested in the non-NCFC and non-football coverage I assume The Athletic has. I have no idea, not having looked at The Athletic, but I doubt that at least in terms of quantity it has as much coverage of Norwich City as the pink un app has, or will increasingly have.

19 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Those with sense subscribe to both. 

Exactly this.

Those with money and sense will get both. Those with no money but lots of sense will support the Pink’Un. Those with money and no sense will just get the Athletic.*  Those with no money and no sense will come on here to say everyone & everything in the world is useless, we may as well give up and it’s all the BBC’s fault

*because they may have MB and good articles, but they weirdly removed his podcast from their app, plus they want to kill all local journalists

Edited by GenerationA47

I liked The Pink Un, kept me informed but when it got flooded with adverts found it a pain. Actually sent an email in September to ask whats going on, and  guess what, no reply !!.

If I cannot get up to date then don't bother.

Pity.

I have been a Norwich supporter for 70 years and never lived in Norfolk and used to travel to the city for many matches in my younger days.

PinkUn+ is poor IMO.  What I want is audio / podcasts / multi media, but the audio app is dreadful and Archant’s broadcasting on match days is beyond amateur. This is not a criticism of Connor and Paddy btw, but their equipment.

As far as the written content is concerned, it’s long winded, full of padding and I have to skip through the waffle to find the actual content. If there is any. 

Edited by Kingston Yellow