canarydan23

England v Spain

52 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

I have been to wembley previously when the match hasn't sold out, or been anywhere near that, but the seat allocation has been such that the stadium looks full on the TV. IE fill the seats opposite the TV camera if you aren't going to price it attractively to sell out. 

I paid £7.50 for my ticket and kids were £3.75. I went as a group, so that was discounted on normal prices but I doubt by that much.

How attractively priced did you want it?

How much £ was it for the Germany game. If the number of tickets sold is what I was told then it wouldn't even cover the cost of turning on the flood lights. Does anyone know if we get paid a flat fee for using the ground or if we get a share of ticket receipts. 

25 minutes ago, Canaries north said:

How much £ was it for the Germany game. If the number of tickets sold is what I was told then it wouldn't even cover the cost of turning on the flood lights. Does anyone know if we get paid a flat fee for using the ground or if we get a share of ticket receipts. 

I expect the club got a fair share of the TV broadcasting rights to make a profit on the whole day.  Both matches were broadcast remember.

9 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

I expect the club got a fair share of the TV broadcasting rights to make a profit on the whole day.  Both matches were broadcast remember.

How much do you think the TV rights are worth? It's miniscule compared to the premier League. I also don't trust the FA as far as I can throw them to be fair about anything 😂

14 minutes ago, Canaries north said:

How much do you think the TV rights are worth? It's miniscule compared to the premier League. I also don't trust the FA as far as I can throw them to be fair about anything 😂

The England match was shown on main ITV channel, and they would have outbid the BBC at least for the right's, if not Sky or BT.  On that basis I wouldn't be too worried over any losses. 

However its main benefit may not be in immediate financial terms, but in the ability to attract potential new young supporters to the ground and the club.  As I keep harping on about, Norwich need to find a way to "secure" the next generation are introduced to football at Carrow Road.  This is difficult in the absence of re-development of the City Stand and an increase in ground capacity, as this prevents the capability of offering discounted rates to new supporters.  So even a small loss may not be too bad in the future if it has hooked a few new supporters to the ground / club.

10 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

No, me neither. But did you get bored at the £30 part and stop reading the rest of the page?

Didnt get bored - I saw it advertised on the scoreboard at FCR, and the listed prices. 

Not qualifying for any concessions personally, I (incorrectly it appears) assumed that £30.00 was the full paying adult price, and to me it wasn't worth it so I looked no further.  Yes maybe if I was more interested I would have looked into it a bit more. Or maybe their marketing could have been better? Interesting to now see the pricing structure and  it appears the empty seats were the more expensive ones. 

I certainly would have priced it / allocated tickets to have had the City Stand and the lower  N&P & Barclays stands full to show it in a better light on the TV as they do at Wembley. 

16 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

The England match was shown on main ITV channel, and they would have outbid the BBC at least for the right's, if not Sky or BT.  On that basis I wouldn't be too worried over any losses. 

However its main benefit may not be in immediate financial terms, but in the ability to attract potential new young supporters to the ground and the club.  As I keep harping on about, Norwich need to find a way to "secure" the next generation are introduced to football at Carrow Road.  This is difficult in the absence of re-development of the City Stand and an increase in ground capacity, as this prevents the capability of offering discounted rates to new supporters.  So even a small loss may not be too bad in the future if it has hooked a few new supporters to the ground / club.

They woud only have to outbid other broadcasters who were bidding - do you know that BBC did? or Sky / BT would have? Sky already had two live EPL games yesterday.

Or it could work they other way - and people think why go, If I cannot, reasonably follow it up with another game there, watching Norwich first team, due to availability / cost etc of the tickets. 

Lets see what you could have won type thing.    

Edited by Greavsy

3 hours ago, Greavsy said:

Didnt get bored - I saw it advertised on the scoreboard at FCR, and the listed prices. 

Not qualifying for any concessions personally, I (incorrectly it appears) assumed that £30.00 was the full paying adult price, and to me it wasn't worth it so I looked no further.  Yes maybe if I was more interested I would have looked into it a bit more. Or maybe their marketing could have been better? Interesting to now see the pricing structure and  it appears the empty seats were the more expensive ones. 

I certainly would have priced it / allocated tickets to have had the City Stand and the lower  N&P & Barclays stands full to show it in a better light on the TV as they do at Wembley. 

I don't even know what the £30 seats were. Barclay and River Ends were £10, South Stand £20 and at least some of the City Stand was £20 as well.

2 hours ago, Canaries north said:

Does anyone have accurate attendance figures for the second game? The story I was told was so low I can't believe it to be true.

Looked like double figures on the TV to be honest.

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

I don't even know what the £30 seats were. Barclay and River Ends were £10, South Stand £20 and at least some of the City Stand was £20 as well.

image.png.30c3aec939834beac0fdfdf557b1463f.png

Source - https://ticketingcontent.thefa.com/Arnold Clark Cup - ENG v ESP

Assume you got bored too - and didn't get to the link 

No £20.00 seats in the City stand according to that - all £30 or I assume corporates - which looks poor on the TV being so empty. 

£10.00 in the River end and Barclay is reasonable to be fair. 

So i guess their advertising could have been better, and maybe I should have looked more, which if I was more interested I would have done.

Shame with, in my opinion, so many empty seats, they couldnt offer to the NHS / key workers as a thank you, and fill the ground up.  

If the attendance for the Germany game was well under a thousand as i have been informed (if anyone has an exact figure that would be great) why hold it at a 20,000 + stadium. I understand people are trying to push women's football but if the figures are as bad as rumours say then hold it somewhere smaller. How horrible it must be for the players to play in an empty stadium and what what a waste of money opening it. Why did they not do both games for one ticket price and have the games follow each other. 

10 minutes ago, Canaries north said:

If the attendance for the Germany game was well under a thousand as i have been informed (if anyone has an exact figure that would be great) why hold it at a 20,000 + stadium. I understand people are trying to push women's football but if the figures are as bad as rumours say then hold it somewhere smaller. How horrible it must be for the players to play in an empty stadium and what what a waste of money opening it. Why did they not do both games for one ticket price and have the games follow each other. 

It does seem a big missed opportunity to not have the next game kick off almost straight after the England match, without question a good few hundred, maybe even a few thousand, would have stayed to watch. The benefit of that for the club is that people spending 4-5 hours in a stadium are pretty much guaranteed to spend more money on food and drink. They did something similar at London 2012; your ticket got you access to two games which were pretty much back to back. I'm pretty sure Arsenal did the same thing in a pre-season tournament.

It's not likely to have been anything to do with the club, it will have been the FA calling the shots and those guys could not be anymore useless if they tried. In fact, they're that abject that if they went out and tried to be useless, they'd probably end up being competent.

Edited by canarydan23

On 21/02/2022 at 12:31, canarydan23 said:

No, me neither. But did you get bored at the £30 part and stop reading the rest of the page?

Did you miss the bit where he said he thought the empty seats on the TV were embarrassing. 

I assume he was talking about the City Stand, where an adult ticket was £30, he's not talking about the Riverend upper.

Greavsy is in the right on this one.... £30 is overpriced, and the punters voted with their feet. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Canaries north said:

DW have it at more like 200

On 15/02/2022 at 14:01, TIL 1010 said:

It all started to go wrong when they got the vote.

US women's national team reach agreement with US soccer over equal pay

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Did you miss the bit where he said he thought the empty seats on the TV were embarrassing. 

I assume he was talking about the City Stand, where an adult ticket was £30, he's not talking about the Riverend upper.

Greavsy is in the right on this one.... £30 is overpriced, and the punters voted with their feet. 

Voted with their feet. With an attendance of over 14,000. For a largely meaningless friendly competition.

"A great turnout" - The Guardian

Not bad considering the tickets were overpriced (they weren't).

4 hours ago, Mengo said:

US women's national team reach agreement with US soccer over equal pay

I have no problem with this as the USA women's team I believe gets higher attendance and TV viewing figures than the men. They should in all fairness get more. There was an argument recently about the prize for the women's FA cup being so low in comparison to the men's. This is where I do have problems. The men's game and the men's FA cup funds the FA. The FA and the men's game fund the women's game. In the search for equality we are pushing the women's game before it has had a chance to grow organically. On sky they had a women's game on main event that had just over 1000 people attending while I believe it was a Sheffield Wednesday game with over 15000 in attendance was pushed to another channel. I'm sure more people did watch the Wednesday game but it was not the main game. We are trying to push it when it hasn't got the fan base yet. Let it grow and don't force it. 

19 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

£30 is overpriced, and the punters voted with their feet. 

Above quote is from TVB not Dan as stated.

19 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Not bad considering the tickets were overpriced (they weren't).

The £30.00 tickets were, which is what TVB's comment was about. 

I still stand by my original comment, that it looked poor on the TV having so many empty seats. 

3 hours ago, Greavsy said:

Above quote is from TVB not Dan as stated.

The £30.00 tickets were, which is what TVB's comment was about. 

I still stand by my original comment, that it looked poor on the TV having so many empty seats. 

Wembley always looks rubbish on tv because of the corporate seats not being filled but that’s nothing to do with atmosphere.

The atmosphere on Sunday was decent for what was a 0-0 with a very passive (and often) boring Spain side trying to walk the ball in the net and not creating much in terms of clear cut chances. England tried to make the most of attacks and had the better opportunities. The crowd reacted.

And whether people want to believe it or not, the band most definitely made a difference to the atmosphere. Would I want that at NCFC games… probably not, but I also want a decent atmosphere which far too often there isn’t at CR anymore. It’s not PL thing as the crowds haven’t been great for a number of years unfortunately. If some musical support isn’t the answer…what is?