canarydan23

England v Spain

13 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I meant to reply to TIL, not you. You're an innocent party in this fracas and for that I applogise

You do get some unnecessary - constant stick - from a select couple. 

Take it as a compliment!

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

It all started to go wrong when they got the vote.

I guess that tells us where you stand on Cressida ****'s resignation and you are right there.

12 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Can't make it I'm afraid....down to be repeatedly slamming my fingers in a car door for 90 mins that evening instead...

Not to worry, sounds like you're useless with your fingers anyway.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, hogesar said:

You do get some unnecessary - constant stick - from a select couple. 

Take it as a compliment!

He needs no encouragement Hoggy. 

17 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Hate to tell you guys, but by almost any metric women's football is much more of a sport than men's football.

The idea that Man City v Norwich, a game in which one team possesses a single player worth more than the other's entire squad and has a referee who applies different rules depending on what shirt the players are wearing, constitutes sport is pretty amusing.

Too right Dan. Women's football is a much more competitive game....

.... Oh.

Screenshot_20220216_114651.jpg

1 hour ago, ? said:

Too right Dan. Women's football is a much more competitive game....

.... Oh.

Screenshot_20220216_114651.jpg

Awwww, bless you, thinking you've made a valid point.

• Haha 1

Oh, no doubt you meant that there's more sporting integrity in women's football, and the game isn't dominated by money, like the men's game.

Of course, you're absolutely right with that one too...

... Oh.

Screenshot_20220216_140733.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ? said:

Oh, no doubt you meant that there's more sporting integrity in women's football, and the game isn't dominated by money, like the men's game.

Of course, you're absolutely right with that one too...

... Oh.

Screenshot_20220216_140733.jpg

Wow. One shocking decision from 9 years ago. Well played.

There are healthier ways to dealing with women hating you.

• Haha 1

'Women hating'. Deary me. 😂

On a more serious note, I have my ticket and I'm looking forward to the game.

But let's not pretend the women's game is any more a pure form of football than the men's game is, nor any more a level playing field. It's the same FA, same UEFA, same FIFA in charge. Money is king and 'sport' doesn't come into it.

Oh, and that 'one decision from 9 years ago' is about as deplorable a decision as has been made in any sport, at any level, across any gender bracket, in modern times.

• Like 1

On ‎15‎/‎02‎/‎2022 at 19:35, canarydan23 said:

Hate to tell you guys, but by almost any metric women's football is much more of a sport than men's football.

The idea that Man City v Norwich, a game in which one team possesses a single player worth more than the other's entire squad and has a referee who applies different rules depending on what shirt the players are wearing, constitutes sport is pretty amusing.

So is my son's U10's games, but I wouldn't pay to watch that either. I don't get the negativity around it, women play football, good, I hope everyone involved enjoys it. It' just holds zero interest to me.

31 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

So is my son's U10's games, but I wouldn't pay to watch that either. I don't get the negativity around it, women play football, good, I hope everyone involved enjoys it. It' just holds zero interest to me.

Nothing up with not being interested in it. To be honest, beyond the main tournaments I don't pay any attention either; I'm vaguely aware that Man City, Chelsea and Arsenal are the top teams but beyond that I'm clueless.

What I don't get is the weird mentality that it has to be belittled at every opportunity by people who spend a fortune on following a corrupt, unequal corporate entertainment spectacle more akin to WWF Wrestling than proper sport.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Whatever floats anybodies boat is fine by me, as long as they don't float that boat by pi$$ing all around them.

Not to be confused with having people inside the barrel pi$$ing out, which is preferable to being outside the barrel pi$$ing in

2 hours ago, Greavsy said:

Not to be confused with having people inside the barrel pi$$ing out, which is preferable to being outside the barrel pi$$ing in

Exactly Greavsyo, I mixed my metaphors deliberately, as it amuses me. This forum is the limit of my social media activity. Unless you count a couple of watsapp groups. Like yourself I like a pint but not a hangover, I did have a bet365 account way back as a way of watching Naaarich live in Ireland, that has now stopped, as has my patronage of that site, it took me several weeks to gamble away nine of the ten euros I deposited,( had to leave one euro in to carry on watching for the rest of the season😇👍😉). 

I dont really enjoy watching womens footy, tried a couple of times but it just didnt grab me. I did notice that at Womens internationals particularly, the crowd noise was more akin to a Robbie Williams concert( never been but seen it on telly) ..... lots of high pitched girly screaming as opposed to songs , chants and roars.  Not my cuppa. But good luck to them, theyll be fine without me. As are all the others sports I dont watch.

Got my ticket, and must say I'm looking forward to it.The standard of the women' game has been steadily improving, while it could be argued that the entertainment derived from watching the higher echelons of the mens' game has decreased in recent years, particularly since the introduction of Video Assisted Rigging. Hopefully the players will not stoop to the levels of kidology that some in the PL have - difficult to tell sometimes if they are playing for a football trophy or an Oscar nomination.

The bloopers video is just a cheap shot.... I am sure that it would take no time at all to put together an equally dismal compilation for the men's game, at any level, or probably any sport. But for those who like videos, how about this one that aptly demonstrates the difference .......

• Like 1

21 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

lots of high pitched girly screaming as opposed to songs , chants and roars.  Not my cuppa. But good luck to them, theyll be fine without me. As are all the others sports I dont watch.

Watched the match versus Canada last night - a 1-1 draw, with England looking much like the men's team with plenty of possession but lack of nous to unpick the opposition. Canada grew into the game as they could see England weren't going to punish them.  Overall a very competitive match with plenty of strong physical challenges and only a couple of minor mistakes from the keepers.  If repeated on Sunday I'd say those with tickets are in for a treat but don't bank on an England win.

2 hours ago, bringbackchippy said:

The day l go and watch women play football, the world will ice over! 

Its sh.te! Get back behind the sink!

That's hilarious! Got anymore really funny and original material?!

Quite enjoying the highlights of women's football on the BEEB website. As mentioned earlier, the standard is definitely improving, as you'd expect when the FA in their not so infinite wisdom banned women from playing in stadia for 50 years or so.

The problem in women's football is that there's not as much depth yet, so 20-0 whuppings against Latvia are more likely until far more women play sports in other countries and the structures are in place to help them improve. Same problem in quite a few sports that were the preserve of men, boxing being a fine example.

A couple of old friends of mine also manage a girl's team within a club that is only for girls. I referee them fairly frequently, getting hauled out of retirement to do them, and by their teens, there are some very decent players in there, just not with the same pure physicality of boys.

• Like 1

On 15/02/2022 at 19:29, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Can't make it I'm afraid....down to be repeatedly slamming my fingers in a car door for 90 mins that evening instead...

Must be tricky fitting all 6 fingers in - let me know if you need any help with it.

11 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Oh dear....is that all you have

Is that what you say to those with the normal amount of digits?

• Like 1

I’ll be at the game today. I like competitive sport. The levels and skill and physicality or whatever can be argued but it’s all just about competitiveness.

Sport the the main focus. If anybody has an issue with womens sport I’d suggest they watch a bit of womens MMA. The womens fights in UFC are often better than the mens and absolutely brutal. If you want an easy intro go and watch weili zhang vs joanna jedrzejczyk. Possibly the most brutal fight I’ve ever seen.

hopefully a competitive game today will be a nice antidote to the muck we see every week in the premier league, a billionaire plaything full of soulless robots terrified of saying the wrong thing and losing Twitter followers.

It would be fantastic if Chicken or anyone else set up a live match thread. I’d imagine most posters on here will be off to Carrow Road or viewing live at home.