Sign in to follow this  
Declan

Anyone else got thoughts on our U23s?

Took the opportunity this evening to walk the twenty minutes or so down to Princes Park and take in our game against Charlton’s U23s, which we ended up losing 3-1.

Not quite sure what I was expecting to be honest, but have to admit I was surprised as to how basic the football was…if anything Charlton were knocking it about a little better whilst we were looking long at every opportunity (haven’t seen that many offsides since Iwan was at his peak!).

I anticipated being impressed by Tomkinson, Springett and Kamara based on reports I’ve heard so far but it was only the latter that did anything of note with a good finish in the first half - there’s honestly nothing in the side I saw tonight that I’d particularly be excited about which is a bit of a worry if we’re planning on bringing them through to remain self-funded.

I’d be staggered if the eccentric Nathan Harvey in Charlton’s goal ever made it as a professional but their right back, Richard Chin, looked impressive throughout. Comfortably my man of the match and expect to see him have a good career at a decent level.

B3757DBB-0223-4D54-9004-B8EB2D9D5A04.jpeg

Aren’t quite a few of our better lads on loan and isn’t the U23s mainly 18-19yr olds who might be a little way behind other teams?   Asking as I’m not sure but if they are younger than opponents, performances could be deceiving.  

• Like 2

Generally our U23s have been going well this season and at the moment they look quite likely to get promoted to Div 1 of the Premier League U23 league. 

It's worth bearing in mind that we've got a number of players who might have been playing tonight already out on loan in men's football. Omotoye at Carlisle, Dickson-Peters and Adshead both at Gillingham, Mumba at Peterborough, Soto at Livingstone, McAlear at Inverness Caledonian Thistle and Dennis at Southend. In addition Jonathon Rowe is now with our first team. I don't know for sure, but I doubt Charlton are doing the same.

35 minutes ago, Declan said:

Took the opportunity this evening to walk the twenty minutes or so down to Princes Park and take in our game against Charlton’s U23s, which we ended up losing 3-1.

Not quite sure what I was expecting to be honest, but have to admit I was surprised as to how basic the football was…if anything Charlton were knocking it about a little better whilst we were looking long at every opportunity (haven’t seen that many offsides since Iwan was at his peak!).

I anticipated being impressed by Tomkinson, Springett and Kamara based on reports I’ve heard so far but it was only the latter that did anything of note with a good finish in the first half - there’s honestly nothing in the side I saw tonight that I’d particularly be excited about which is a bit of a worry if we’re planning on bringing them through to remain self-funded.

I’d be staggered if the eccentric Nathan Harvey in Charlton’s goal ever made it as a professional but their right back, Richard Chin, looked impressive throughout. Comfortably my man of the match and expect to see him have a good career at a decent level.

It is worth noting that despite Charlton's status as a mid-table League One side, they are on the cusp of being awarded Category One status (we are one of the 28 clubs who already have it), so you wouldn't expect the gap in quality between our U23s and their U23s to be particularly wide (unlike our first teams at current).

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/it-wont-be-long-addicks-owner-thomas-sandgaard-confident-on-gaining-category-1-academy-status/

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

19 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

That look's a tidy stadium for non-league.  Recommended for non-FL action?

Is it Dartford's ground? I went there years back for the pre-season friendly that I think was part of the Cody McDonald transfer. It is a cracking little venue.

• Thanks 1

Dartford’s ground is also probably the most environmentally sustainably built ground  in Britain though may soon be overtaken in that regard by Forest Green Rovers all wooden (I kid you not) ‘Eco park’

• Like 1

Depends who you're comparing them with. Are our better u23s the ones being sent on loan - or, conversely, are the ones being sent on loan also the ones we're not sure are going to make it, so finding them a place lower down the league is part of the "model" in return for a small fee? Or are we doing both?

If we're comparing us to the youth teams of the big clubs we are nowhere near them in quality or depth, but we do seem to source some prospects who either don't want to get lost in their systems or who want to progress quicker. Plus we nick the better ones from academies who have taken a good player as far as they can. If we can produce one player a year from the academy into our first team squad that is success.

Personally I think U23 is a misnomer. There are almost no regular players in that league over 21. If they haven't progressed by then they get moved on these days.

Every club makes mistakes and lets the occasional gem go, but I can't recall too many recently. Previous "stars" of our youth set up include Ashley Seal and Glenn Middleton (apart from Angus) but they haven't exactly set the world on fire since leaving, currently at St Johnstone and Northampton Town.