Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

"He believes we have the ability" - Ben Gibson

The implication being that the previous manager didn't.

And this comment is very telling: “We do a lot more tactical work”

Is there anybody left who feels that we shouldn't have sacked Daniel Farke? 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

That comment doesn't mean the previous manager didn't. 

It's not an exclusive comment, necessarily. 

• Like 5

The full quote puts it in context. Gibson talks about the different training regimes and as we all know change can be good. 

https://www.pinkun.com/sport/norwich-city/gibson-sheds-light-on-smiths-impact-at-ncfc-8683220

“So we’re basically just getting the basics right and the manager’s message is to get the basics right, to have a foundation and then we can build from there, because he believes that we’ve got the ability to do so.” 

I’ve been a critic of TNC, and still am, but it was a good interview with Ben Gibson. So much so the EDP have no choice but to cover it. I’m sure they’re annoyed they can’t seem to be able to get the same access.

But Chris Reeve is at his sycophantic, name dropping best at points in the video. If only it was just Jack. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

The hyped Farke 'love in' was an embarrassment and thankfully Dean and Shakey have brought some desperately needed reality back to Carrow Road.

18 minutes ago, Nora's Ghost said:

The hyped Farke 'love in' was an embarrassment and thankfully Dean and Shakey have brought some desperately needed reality back to Carrow Road.

Says it all really that Farke worked more on possession and Smith works on tactics.

Trying to win the possession game against £500m squads is ridiculous, and this bizarre stubborness to never deviate from playing out of the back, Smith is a pragmatist like Lambert was in his time here.

Looking forward to seeing what we look like when Smith has had the opportunity to do a bit of business.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

9 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Looking forward to seeing what we look like when Smith has had the opportunity to do a bit of business.

Remember he apparently wanted Todd at Villa so he’s not a genius on the scouting side! But yes, he will know it’s about pace and power as we’ve all been saying and will hopefully recruit accordingly. 

11 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

stubborness to never deviate from playing out of the back

There was still lots of playing out from the back on Wednesday evening too - Quite nerve wracking at times. 

I'm sure that will continue too. 

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Farke was an idealist and that is what I like about him and at it's best, his style of football is unplayable.  In that sense the method is more important than the tactics and I believe he would have found a way to make this season work as it went on.  Lets face it we had an awful start in so many ways and it had started to improve - and that improvement would have continued. So yes, I would have stuck with him.

That said, it is a pretty pointless thread imo, because we have moved on. The overiding factor - whether it was with Farke or Smith in charge - is the way the squad was always going to develop through the season after starting it with so many circumstances against it. 

• Like 1

Dean Smith's presser this morning is like a breath of fresh air.

Farke's tenure was for the most part one of the most exciting in recent times but it was fairly obvious this season that he has lots to learn about top level managment and the EPL was a step too far.

Now we appear to go into games with confidence and a determination not to roll over if things start to go wrong.

I like Smith a lot and think he's a good coach. There is no doubt he has us doing a lot of the basics better in terms of presing and defending. We also have a bit more threat. 

That said, some of the football played in the Watford and Palace games has been pretty awful so as the next part of our evolution I hope to see us getting back to better quality on the ball and a bit more possession. If we let Man City have 72% possession and play 4-4-2 they will put 8 past us. I appreciate though they are going to have the majority of the ball!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

as the next part of our evolution I hope to see us getting back to better quality on the ball and a bit more possession. If we let Man City have 72% possession and play 4-4-2 they will put 8 past us. I appreciate though they are going to have the majority of the ball!

Will be interesting to see how he approaches that Man City game, but this is what I like about Smith, he's got a few strings to his bow

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

59 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Says it all really that Farke worked more on possession and Smith works on tactics.

Trying to win the possession game against £500m squads is ridiculous, and this bizarre stubborness to never deviate from playing out of the back, Smith is a pragmatist like Lambert was in his time here.

Much as Palace dominated the game in the week I said at the time it reminded us under Farke at times.

In control of the game, have all the possession yet do nothing with it and look toothelss

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

1 hour ago, WD40 said:

I’ve been a critic of TNC, and still am, but it was a good interview with Ben Gibson. So much so the EDP have no choice but to cover it. I’m sure they’re annoyed they can’t seem to be able to get the same access.

But Chris Reeve is at his sycophantic, name dropping best at points in the video. If only it was just Jack. 

I used to feel exactly the same, but they've completely won me over.  Take them as two excitable, incredibly passionate and ridiculously optimistic fellow fans and I think you'll find yourself warming to them.  Definitely my favourite NCFC podcasters now.  

Further to which, Jack's a talented broadcaster.  That spot he did on BBC recently (was it Football Focus?) was excellent and infinitely more insightful than Michael Bailey (who I personally find unwatchable) when he does his BBC Radio spots.

11 minutes ago, Kingston Yellow said:

Further to which, Jack's a talented broadcaster.  That spot he did on BBC recently (was it Football Focus?) was excellent and infinitely more insightful than Michael Bailey (who I personally find unwatchable) when he does his BBC Radio spots.

Is there a link to the spot Jack did? Google isn’t being helpful

2 hours ago, WD40 said:

Yeah agreed. Chris tried his best to ruin that interview.

1 hour ago, WD40 said:

Remember he apparently wanted Todd at Villa so he’s not a genius on the scouting side! But yes, he will know it’s about pace and power as we’ve all been saying and will hopefully recruit accordingly. 

I remember a lot of so called interest from alot clubs but also we received no bids. 

I was and still are a big fan of DF but im also really starting to understand that he was just a bit short of what is needed in this league and Smith and Shakey are a step up.

Just now, Kingston Yellow said:

Here you go:

https://t.co/LPrj52yafC

37 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Is there a link to the spot Jack did? Google isn’t being helpful

It seems that link doesn't work.

Have a look on Jack's Twitter Page.  It was mid-December.  There's also a more recent Sky Sports feature.

Have to say, he's very good on both.

Very good interview with Ben Gibson. Very refreshing to listen to a level headed guy , give his undoubted honest opinions. 👍 

2 hours ago, Nora's Ghost said:

I don't think that's entirely fair, on either Farke or his supporters. He won two promotions  - one of which at the time was described as the best season ever and the other recorded our highest ever points total in the Championship. 

Farke was naive in the PL but I did admire his unwillingness to play hoofball. He stuck to his beliefs and that deserves respect.

Smith is indeed realistic and knows what is needed in a dog fight. It's good to see us competing more but I hope (and believe) that he will be able to get us playing attractive football again - whichever division we're in next season. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Yellow and Green said:

I don't think that's entirely fair, on either Farke or his supporters. He won two promotions  - one of which at the time was described as the best season ever and the other recorded our highest ever points total in the Championship. 

Farke was naive in the PL but I did admire his unwillingness to play hoofball. He stuck to his beliefs and that deserves respect.

Smith is indeed realistic and knows what is needed in a dog fight. It's good to see us competing more but I hope (and believe) that he will be able to get us playing attractive football again - whichever division we're in next season. 

I guess we all want something different from our team and a bit of 'hoof ball' from time to time has it's own excitement value.

What I like is that Smith and Shakey are prepared to do what is needed, when it is needed and that the players are no longer conditioned to play one way.

That was the only real criticism of DF. Very rigid in what we were to do on the pitch. Whereas under Deano we seem to be adapting to the situation whether where we are in the table or during a game.

But I will never forget exactly what DF achieved at Carrow Road. Two seasons of exciting and winning football. Which is all I personally need to make me happy.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

I like Smith a lot and think he's a good coach. There is no doubt he has us doing a lot of the basics better in terms of presing and defending. We also have a bit more threat. 

That said, some of the football played in the Watford and Palace games has been pretty awful so as the next part of our evolution I hope to see us getting back to better quality on the ball and a bit more possession. If we let Man City have 72% possession and play 4-4-2 they will put 8 past us. I appreciate though they are going to have the majority of the ball!

Good one Jimbo👍

That mythical 'half way house' football that that grinds out results and entertains the fans. 

3 hours ago, WD40 said:

they've had some great interviews with recent and current players a while back which is how I got into the channel. I guess if you don't take the other stuff too seriously it's a genuinely great channel. Compared to the likes of AFTV we're lucky really! I think the stick they got from some about Farke earlier on in the season was unwarranted since they were pretty fair in what they said.

I don't even really mind the name dropping to an extent. The guy is a genuine fan and is probably buzzing that he's got the opportunity to rub shoulders with so many at the club. I find some of the personal insights when he talks about Angus Gunn for example pretty interesting. Sure it's a bit cringeworthy but I'd probably be dropping names left right and centre if I was in his position 😆

I find that those who actively don't like the channel (and are vocal about it) are generally pretty bitter and cynical people with the rest of their online interactions. As the old adage goes, if you've nothing nice to say, just stay quiet. Not to say that constructive criticism isn't okay though.

There's something special about the fans on here going on about how "Farke would write off games against the big teams" and how we'd be "beaten before we stepped on the pitch" when tomorrows match happens to be Man City at home.... 🙂 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

I’ve never agreed that the best way to beat the top sides is to put 10 men behind the ball and hope to nick one. At the end of the day you need to offer a threat to them going forward to push the game up so it’s not entirely played in their half. If you’re defending a corner leave one up they have to leave two be brave and leave two they have to leave 3 and all or a sudden your defenders have more space to defend rather than inviting pressure. Good hold up play will be essential as we can’t play the whole game in our own half like we didn’t second period against palace. 

3 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

they've had some great interviews with recent and current players a while back which is how I got into the channel. I guess if you don't take the other stuff too seriously it's a genuinely great channel. Compared to the likes of AFTV we're lucky really! I think the stick they got from some about Farke earlier on in the season was unwarranted since they were pretty fair in what they said.

I don't even really mind the name dropping to an extent. The guy is a genuine fan and is probably buzzing that he's got the opportunity to rub shoulders with so many at the club. I find some of the personal insights when he talks about Angus Gunn for example pretty interesting. Sure it's a bit cringeworthy but I'd probably be dropping names left right and centre if I was in his position 😆

I find that those who actively don't like the channel (and are vocal about it) are generally pretty bitter and cynical people with the rest of their online interactions. As the old adage goes, if you've nothing nice to say, just stay quiet. Not to say that constructive criticism isn't okay though.

you forgot to mention their charity work too! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hogesar said:

There's something special about the fans on here going on about how "Farke would write off games against the big teams" and how we'd be "beaten before we stepped on the pitch" when tomorrows match happens to be Man City at home.... 🙂 

Sorry as I know I've just replied to another similar post, but...

1. Farke literally did write off the first 4 games though didn't he? Like quite vocally? Games which included an injury-riddled Leicester at home (who were very very poor on the day) and a bang-out-of-form Arsenal away (who in fairness did have a better side together for our game).

2. How else you could describe the Man City and Chelsea performances other than 'beaten before we stepped on to the pitch'? That's the exact way I would describe it?

Agree with the general thrust of this but would just add that a player is hardly going to come out and say he preferred the previous coach's training sessions.

• Like 2