Sign in to follow this  
Old Boy

Another perspective

Driving home from the game listening to Canary Call, I heard a Brighton fan, who had heard several City fans ringing in complaining about the situation we''re in, suggest that we should try being a Brighton fan. He pays £500 for a season ticket, and travels all over the country, just to watch his team try (and most likely fail) to avoid relegation. It made me realise that our season tickets are very cheap (notice I didn''t say good value!), and, for all the current problems, there are many other fans in an even more depressing situation than us.

Well he may travel all over ther country to support Brighton but I do the same for City.  In fact every home game is a 10 hour round trip let alone away days to Hull.

That''s all well and good Old Boy and I understand the argument but with all due respect to Brighton they are pretty much where they and everyone thought they would be.  Mark Mghee has not spent 10% of what we have on players and they do not have a squad with the quality of players such as Huckerby or Green.  No doubt it could be worse and other clubs are in more depressing situation.  So what?  They are not Norwich City.

By the same token, do you think there are many Arsenal fans who will accept that despite being 5th and 25 points behind 1st that it could be worse, they could be mid-table in the Championship?  Don''t think so.  Do you think it''s any comfort to Birmingham fans that despite the squad they have and the money they have spent that Sunderland are worse off than them?

If we are going to make comparison''s, lets compare like for like.  The closest comparable club to us is Palace, not Brighton and where are Palace?

Our season ticket cheap! my first ticket in Block ''C'' was £6-17-6d  per season to watch players earning £12 per week plus a pound a point (2 points a win     1 point a draw) we finished at the botton and had to seek re-election a time or two. but with gates 20,00Plus and visiting teams getting a share, some taken home more than their home gate money. No sack the manager (A few went) on the hole they knew what they were doing if not did the honourable thing and walked. As many of the old brigade will know the team at the bottom then, tried every week all eleven of them and came off the field proud in defeat knowing they had TRIED their best 

It''s impossible to compare the two clubs though old boy.  It''s all about expectations.  We''re appalled at the season we have had.  If Brighton had had our season they would be over the moon!  They''re aiming to stay up, we''re aiming to go up.  When we scrape past teams like Brighton (and lose to countless teams this season which we should have beaten) I think we reserve the right to be pretty p***ed off!  You always have to think of other fans (Rotherham at the moment of course) but just because others have it worse, doesn''t make excuses for our failures

[quote user="Old Boy"] He pays £500 for a season ticket.[/quote]

No wonder Brighton get rubbish crowds at home. I wonder how much it costs to sit on the hill with a picnic...

Saint and DD - I totally agree it''s about expectations. We regard ourselves as a Premiership Club, and understandably, because we''ve got support that many Premiership clubs would envy, and we have a pretty distinguished Premiership history. But at the same time, we weren''t paying Premiership prices last season, and seemingly not even high Championship prices this season. I think the Club should get some credit for the pricing policy, which will have played a big part in increasing the gates over the past few seasons.

The Brighton guy said he came up here last season and found the support superb, but this time it was very muted. And it was - it was the quietest I can ever remember, bearing in mind the number of people in the ground. It was very depressing, like the football. But at least we''re better off, certainly looking at the non-football aspects, than Brighton and many other clubs. That was his view, and I agree.

[quote user="Oneandonly"]

[quote user="Old Boy"] He pays £500 for a season ticket.[/quote]

No wonder Brighton get rubbish crowds at home. I wonder how much it costs to sit on the hill with a picnic...

[/quote]

Brighton sell out every week.  The capacity is about 7000.