cambridgeshire canary

Todays passing and possession stats tell a story

So many muppets once again. 

We can now compete in the prem, we now look strong at the back, we can weather the storm and dig deep to hold on in a game, we have a team who know their jobs and dig in for each other. 

and all we have sacrificed is a few sideways passes / faffing around at the back and people are moaning. unbelievable really. 

Did anyone see how strong Palace team actually is, every single one of their starting 11 is better than ours, their bench is superb. Great point IMO and keeps the unbeaten run going... (until Saturday)

I think we have to get used to the new system. Not just two in the middle but an overall change.

We are not going to invite teams to press us anymore. Hanley and Gibson are normal UK CBs. They are not capable of bringing the ball out when pressed. DF saw possession as our main weapon. Deano is far more happier with position than possession. Certainly with the players at his disposal.

Will Hughes ran the game for the last 70 minutes because he had the ability to take possession while marked and still distribute it to team mates. PLM and Kenny can do it now and again but not confidently. Of course Ollie did superbly last season.

So we adapt to a system which is less of a risk and that is to hit it longer and hence why we play two up front. The energy of Sargent and Rashica is then there to supplement the running of Pukki and Idah. Hence the selection of Placheta who works hard without showing any flair.

Its an easy system. Not difficult to adapt to and keeps the ball further away from our defence. If we stop going one down, our chances of a result improve. It just isn't what we have been used to for 4 years. The next two games will probably show the downside of that system when you play teams that you must not keep giving the ball to, anywhere, on the pitch.

10 hours ago, KeiranShikari said:

Sargent was a huge miss. Makes long balls stick far more often than Idah. Without him we were olways going to surrender possession more often.

I agree - I think that he would have helped hugely against Zaha. Despite some on here "wanting their money back" to me he is one of the first picks for the team for what he brings to the team.

1 hour ago, Petriix said:

It's a bit of a sad state of affairs when we're feeling relieved to come away with a point from a home game against a lower mid-table team. When you look at the stats it shines a light on just how ineffective we were. 

We were "hanging on" without a doubt which is why some of us were relieved to get a point. I would contest that we were ineffective over the course of the game though. The game should have been over at half time and over the whole of the match we had the better chances from open play.

5 minutes ago, Badger said:

We were "hanging on" without a doubt which is why some of us were relieved to get a point. I would contest that we were ineffective over the course of the game though. The game should have been over at half time and over the whole of the match we had the better chances from open play.

but palace are actually really good.... remember what we are. 

1 minute ago, urdie_Canary said:

I'm not sure what you are trying to say. Are you saying we aren't good enough but any points we get are almost a bonus?

I prefer to take one game at a time. That is all you can judge anything on. And last night I thought we missed a trick after going one up so early and Pukki's awful miss. We were dominating a team you acknowledge as pretty good. And while Gunn or Gibson would get stick for a mistake at the back, maybe the game hinged on that Teemu chance. Or maybe Milot should have smashed it himself.

23 minutes ago, urdie_Canary said:

I don't think that they were that good - we were much more effective than them in the first half.

I don't know what you mean by "remember what we are."

6 minutes ago, Badger said:

I don't think that they were that good - we were much more effective than them in the first half.

I don't know what you mean by "remember what we are."

they fixed the issues at half time and their premier league class / ball retention was clear to see second half. 

They have seriously classy players.

also remember what we are, self funded... bottom of the pile in terms of draw to the club etc etc 

look at palace, Benteke on 100+k a week and not even featured. 

29 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I'm not sure what you are trying to say. Are you saying we aren't good enough but any points we get are almost a bonus?

I prefer to take one game at a time. That is all you can judge anything on. And last night I thought we missed a trick after going one up so early and Pukki's awful miss. We were dominating a team you acknowledge as pretty good. And while Gunn or Gibson would get stick for a mistake at the back, maybe the game hinged on that Teemu chance. Or maybe Milot should have smashed it himself.

is this not realistic though? how many of palace players would get into our team. Pretty much every single one. 

15 minutes ago, urdie_Canary said:

they fixed the issues at half time and their premier league class / ball retention was clear to see second half. 

They have seriously classy players.

It’s quite easy to retain the ball when the other side is letting you have it in the way we were got long spells.

I think we got away with it last night although equally had Pukki scored that second chance we may well have gone on to win.

Palace have some very good players but they are not as good as we made them look in spells last night. In the end grateful for the point but I don’t think Smith got it quite right with the selection last night or changed it early enough. 

I get that we are sacrificing a bit of possession for extra bodies up front but we will not keep getting away with having 20-30% possession in this league. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

It’s quite easy to retain the ball when the other side is letting you have it in the way we were got long spells.

I think we got away with it last night although equally had Pukki scored that second chance we may well have gone on to win.

Palace have some very good players but they are not as good as we made them look in spells last night. In the end grateful for the point but I don’t think Smith got it quite right with the selection last night or changed it early enough. 

I get that we are sacrificing a bit of possession for extra bodies up front but we will not keep getting away with having 20-30% possession in this league. 

Fair enough. 

But we didn't 'let' them have the ball, its do with the manager sorting out the issues and the players showing their class. They have better ball players, better footballers, in the premier league we aren't going to dominate games for the entire period, you have to sit and suffer. 

Also re Dean Smith, if you noticed, just before they scored he was about to make the change. 

Decent point on the whole and a game of two halfs. 

1 hour ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

But you need far more than half a game of working hard, in this League. You also need your front players to be having an effect in the attacking zone. I'm afraid he didn't do that last night

You do need more than that, we need players with talent who work hard.  I think he worked hard and as fans we should support them, Kenny and Billy are the same, both worked hard so get my support, does stop me thinking there are better players available in those positions.

I wonder what Tzolis thinks after last night.  Placheta is clearly ahead of him in the pecking order, and it appear Rowe is too.

4 minutes ago, urdie_Canary said:

Fair enough. 

But we didn't 'let' them have the ball, its do with the manager sorting out the issues and the players showing their class. They have better ball players, better footballers, in the premier league we aren't going to dominate games for the entire period, you have to sit and suffer. 

Also re Dean Smith, if you noticed, just before they scored he was about to make the change. 

Decent point on the whole and a game of two halfs. 

We “let” them have it through our choice of formation/personel. We were always going to get dominated in midfield with that line up. It happened at Watford as well after Sorensen went off but we got away with it and the slightly flattering score line took attention away from the point.

Thankfully Smith will change it for the next two games anyway and we have Normann on the way back. 

42 minutes ago, urdie_Canary said:

is this not realistic though? how many of palace players would get into our team. Pretty much every single one. 

I agree some of the Palace players are blossoming under Viera where they were "solid" under Hodgson, but for twenty minutes we were the better team so its not just down to individuals. If Pukki scores the second, the game changes yet again. Viera cannot sit and wait to score with the luxury of 89 minutes up his sleeve.+

I dont pretend to be great at understanding football but i thought Max put a great shift in against Saha but Williams on the otherside was superb in the second half as he was right in my view. 

To me his positioning as a defender was spot on. I wasnt impressed at all when first on board but ive really changed my mind on him.

A tough game that 6 games ago would have been a reasonable loss for sure.

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

We “let” them have it through our choice of formation/personel. We were always going to get dominated in midfield with that line up. It happened at Watford as well after Sorensen went off but we got away with it and the slightly flattering score line took attention away from the point.

Thankfully Smith will change it for the next two games anyway and we have Normann on the way back. 

Rubbish, we played 3 in midfield away to palace and lost 3 nil ....

40 minutes ago, Mr Tea said:

I dont pretend to be great at understanding football but i thought Max put a great shift in against Saha but Williams on the otherside was superb in the second half as he was right in my view. 

To me his positioning as a defender was spot on. I wasnt impressed at all when first on board but ive really changed my mind on him.

A tough game that 6 games ago would have been a reasonable loss for sure.

agreed

hmmmmmm its almost as if there were some tactical thinking involved...

palace passed the ball (a bit farkebally) alot in their own half..  hence nice possession stats

My guess is we didn't want to get pulled into their half pressing and then get hit on the break by their quality and pacey forwards...

..but then i'm not a manager..

• Like 1

I'd imagine the stats at half time would probably have looked quite different, it was a lot more 50/50. Second half Palace shifted tactics and we appeared happy to camp in our own half. Sadly that worked out well