cambridgeshire canary

Todays passing and possession stats tell a story

we lack the quality to play the possession game and capitalise on it at this level therefore we have to go direct and make the most of it. 80 mins vs 10 men up at Newcastle proved that. It was only when we had to go direct and up the tempo we managed to get a goal.

7 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Now can we agree to never play two in the middle again?

stats.png

Not that two anyway. That two doesn’t work. We got away with it at Watford even though we were overrun after Sorensen went off. Both decent players alongside the right partner or as part of a three. But not together in a two, 

Central Midfield offered nothing to the defenders who then had to go long for much of the game where the ball pretty much came straight back and we won very few second balls. 

Outclassed tonight, but take the point and move on.

Kenny was good.

Sargent was a huge miss. Makes long balls stick far more often than Idah. Without him we were olways going to surrender possession more often.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Let's be honest, the football tonight was long ball, boring and ineffective.

Don't know about ineffective. We probably had the best chances in the game, and restricted them to scoring a stunner and a penalty chance. The rest weren't clear chances for them, whereas we had two clear arguably three.

Second half of course, we were poor all over but still defended well.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Don't know about ineffective. We probably had the best chances in the game, and restricted them to scoring a stunner and a penalty chance. The rest weren't clear chances for them, whereas we had two clear arguably three.

The game was there for the taking in the first half unfortunately we blew it. A point in the circumstances  👏 

• Like 2

Placheta awful I thought. We looked a bit solid after Gilmour  came on but too late having left Zaha wide open for his worldy.

A point is a point thanks to the worst penalty I have ever seen. We are still in with a shout, but the missed first half chances may have cost us.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Placheta awful I thought. We looked a bit solid after Gilmour  came on but too late having left Zaha wide open for his worldy.

A point is a point thanks to the worst penalty I have ever seen. We are still in with a shout, but the missed first half chances may have cost us.

I would take a point all day , we was hanging on in the second half , but your right about placheta not good enough at this level and probably not championship class either.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Canary dwarf said:

I would take a point all day , we was hanging on in the second half , but your right about placheta not good enough at this level and probably not championship class either.

What an absolute load of b*llocks. 

23 minutes ago, Mr Tea said:

Normann nigh on changed the game when he came on.

I'm a big Normann fan, but he looked a tad rusty when he came on. He got better as the final whistle approached but he was bullied off the ball on a few occasions. Hopefully he'll be back up to speed soon.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I don't think McLean or Lees-Melou played badly, but they were simply outnumbered and overrun at times. We clearly need to do something else against Man City.

They played okay, but they did make a few odd decisions, both played the ball into the dangerous areas for us by mistake, and were shaken off the ball too easily.  

2 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

I thought Placheta was okay, he worked hard, but offered nothing going forward, he just looked knackered after half time.  I felt the same about Gilmour when he came on.  Incredible how differently some people see the same game, we stopped for a coffee on the way home, overheard to Crystal Palace talking about how amazing Gilmour was when he came on, and how poor Olise was, I thought he looked threatening till he went off.  Perhaps we should have offered to swap him for Cantwell.

Funny that. I thought Olise was starting to cause Williams real problems in the second half. I was delighted/relieved when he got subbed.

As for Placheta, he offered nothing going forward. But did track back well and backed up Aarons. Personally, I thought Aarons was at fault for the goal, for not coming out to support Placheta. Instead he held position leaving Zaha 1v1 against a winger, not a defender.

We didn't have 2 in the middle other than on the big screen.

Kenny's job was 100% to follow Connor Gallagher which he did a pretty decent job of, so we actually only had PLM in there for most of the game. It was one of those games where every knock down and loose ball went to the opposition too, we rode our luck but Palace weren't without a bit of it themselves. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hogesar said:

Angus Gunn made two outstanding saves 

It's a bit of a sad state of affairs when we're feeling relieved to come away with a point from a home game against a lower mid-table team. When you look at the stats it shines a light on just how ineffective we were. 

Those with thoughts of survival need to consider just where the required points are supposed to come from. We're running out of 'winnable' games. Last night was firmly in that category.

The sad thing is that we never looked like threatening their goal after the 20th minute. Fair enough while we were winning, but there has to be some attacking intent after the equaliser.

With every third pass resulting in a loss of possession, it's not hard to see what's wrong. Aimlessly lumping the ball forward is painful to watch. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, hogesar said:

We did have the best chances but they all fell within the first 20 minutes. After that we were dreadful and just kept punting it long.  Had Pulis, Allardyce etc have been our manager last night this board would be seething about it. For 70 mins, that was as close to hoofball as I've ever seen a Norwich team. 

6 minutes ago, Petriix said:

It's a bit of a sad state of affairs when we're feeling relieved to come away with a point from a home game against a lower mid-table team. When you look at the stats it shines a light on just how ineffective we were. 

Those with thoughts of survival need to consider just where the required points are supposed to come from. We're running out of 'winnable' games. Last night was firmly in that category.

The sad thing is that we never looked like threatening their goal after the 20th minute. Fair enough while we were winning, but there has to be some attacking intent after the equaliser.

With every third pass resulting in a loss of possession, it's not hard to see what's wrong. Aimlessly lumping the ball forward is painful to watch. 

I’m with you on this but equally our squad is one of the weakest in the league. Palace are an established Premier League club who have players that can change the game as we saw. We don’t have that, maybe Rashica? 

I think it’s just the taking of chances which frustrates me, if you look at Newcastle away and Wolves at home. 

Things are far from over but as you say, we’re starting to enter the end game of winnable fixtures. I think it’ll be close but the absence of a ‘weapon’ in the squad mixed with both that terrible opening run and Xmas will have cost us. 

• Like 1

This game tells me precisely why Idah and Sargent should be on the pitch together (obviously not possible as Sarge was still ill), as those two are particularly effective as out balls when the game goes long. One of them on their own isn't enough - you generally need a second to push at least two, if not three men back.

• Like 1

Palace outclassed us for the most part but our style of hardwork, hassle and hoof meant that we could have won it.

All played their part in a game against a team who's league position perhaps defies their talent.

After last night I don't feel that we should be any the less confident about our chances of scraping some sort of miraculous survival. We do what we do well and now seem to be finding a way of getting on the scoresheet at regular intervals. That means a lot.

The "every game's a cup-tie" mentality instilled by Smith and Shakespeare means that points could pile up. We could even spring a surprise or two soon, or could we?

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Newtopia said:

I thought Placheta was okay, he worked hard, but offered nothing going forward, he just looked knackered after half time.  

But you need far more than half a game of working hard, in this League. You also need your front players to be having an effect in the attacking zone. I'm afraid he didn't do that last night

• Like 1