cambridgeshire canary

The differece between Farke and Smith

7 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Talk the talk. I seem to remember us winning against the previous year’s league champions when Farke was in charge during our previous PL spell. This entire thread is making me think I must have dreamt it.

One swallow and all that.

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

One swallow and all that.

Let’s see DS do the same before we de-cry DF. 

32 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Sorensen in back to being ignored as soon as the rest were fit shocker.

Was Sorenson not back to being injured just as.he started establishing himself and others became fit?

30 minutes ago, corbs said:

Let’s see DS do the same before we de-cry DF. 

Well Smith gets more of a benefit of the doubt as he doesn't publicly say we have no chance in these games.

I don't think Sorensen is back to being ignored by Smith yet. He's only back in full training now. I hope that Smith learnt a lot from his impact in the Everton game and start of the Watford game. I think in certain games we have left (such as Chelsea or Man U away) he will have a crucial role to play and think he will play a fair bit over the remainder of the season.

That said, I thought that until they tired, the midfield performed pretty well against Liverpool and would expect the same team to start tomorrow night.

In terms of the other points discussed above, I have to say i thought the Palace game was one of the few games under Smith (perhaps Newcastle away as well where he was too slow to change it down the left) where he got it a bit wrong in terms of the team and the formation. That midfield was always going to get overrun and that proved to be the case. We also gave their wide men a lot of space. In fairness to Smith, Pukki should have put us two up and again there weren't that many midfielders available to him that night but the PLM/Kenny duo as a 2 in the middle is a disaster. In contrast, at liverpool with Gilmour and Normann's presence freeing Kenny up to charge all over the place, he was back at his most effective. If you are going to play a 2 in there then Sorensen needs to be one of them and hopefully that will be the case from now on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Well Smith gets more of a benefit of the doubt as he doesn't publicly say we have no chance in these games.

Interesting. Benefit of the doubt for saying it rather than doing it. So if I say we’ll get 37 points and stay up that’s enough. There was me thinking we actually had to get them.

2 hours ago, Commonsense said:

Talk the talk. I seem to remember us winning against the previous year’s league champions when Farke was in charge during our previous PL spell. This entire thread is making me think I must have dreamt it.

You really going to categorise Farke as an elite level manager because of a single game? In a season where we gained our lowest ever points haul?

Righty-o, well you do you.

Just remember that Chris Hughton managed wins against Man Utd, Arsenal, and Man City before you give your answer (3 of the top 4 that season), then reconsider your choice of username.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

Given the sanctions about to be imposed, I would imagine that the main difference is that Smith will be paid in hard currency while Farke will be paid in turnips.

10 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I always said Farke should have gone back to Germany..

Don't thiink he made the smartest choice going to Russia

As you keep saying money talks. As it stands he'll be a coach in a league that goes nowhere, that nobody cares abouts,  in a country that will lose its FIFA and EUFA affiliations.

It was his choice and I have little sympathy.

Both are / did struggle to get us out of the bottom 3. 
Same result, same outcome. No differance. No coloumn in the league table for artistic impression. 

Unlike many on here, I'm still not totally convinced by Smith. Yes, he's done well since he took over and we are now competitive, but how much of that improvement would have happened anyway as a group of new players got to know each other better? 

I want to make it clear that I'm not criticising what he's done so far. Just saying that he's still got a lot to prove and making the right noises about being able to win every game is not the same as actually winning those games.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

You really going to categorise Farke as an elite level manager because of a single game? In a season where we gained our lowest ever points haul?

Righty-o, well you do you.

Just remember that Chris Hughton managed wins against Man Utd, Arsenal, and Man City before you give your answer (3 of the top 4 that season), then reconsider your choice of username.

No I’m not. I’m merely saying that stating you are going to give a top team a game is rather different than actually winning it. You would see that if you had read the comments.

I’m 100 % behind the managers, having said that I always am, so my judgment is not anything special, but no point in having a go at Farke. A look at the table shows where we are. In my view the main difference now is we play a more pragmatic game, and have slightly improved at the back. This may of occurred anyway. In terms of principles I’m with sticking to em, best example is Bielsa, long may he continue / if Leeds go down they can hold their heads high, super side. 

• Like 1

I love the fact he’s certainly got the team playing in the right manner and he’s a lovely guy so want him to do well, but I still have reservations in his ability, he spent a shed load to get Villa up, his loan fees were very high and he ended up buying a lot of that team on promotion. If he can do anything near Farke has on a budget he’ll be doing a great job. Next season will be very pivotal to our future. Good luck to him, as Farke was he’s a great coach and nice guy to boot.

• Thanks 1

I think Farke probably thought it would work as a method to try and make sure that we didn’t take any team for granted. Every game is winnable - we proved it against Man City last time round. The only difference is the likelihood of victory. The answer is not to go into a game expecting to win, draw, or lose but to know that victory is always possible 

Jury is out after tonight's performance.  It was not Smith's best night.  I hope for more versus Brentford and Leeds.