Hughes - 6 average

Huckerby - 8 (MOM) scored a good goal and set up another

Thorne - 6 not spectacular

Earnshaw - 7 scored 2 goals the second a quality finish

Subs

McVeigh - 7 set up a goal

McKenzie - 7 looked lively

Robinson - 6 did a job

Worthy - 6 individually players did ok but no team. left mcveigh out whom impressed when fnally played

Green - 8 - Commanding, kick set up first goal (inadvertantly), quick throw led to second

Fleming - 7 - As well as can be expected for someone played out of position, solid as always

Drury - 8 - Mr. Dependable. ''Nuff Said

Doherty - 6 - Below usual standards, lost a lot in the air against a sub-standard strike force

Rehman - 7 - Not as impressive as at Ipswich, but no-nonsense approach works well for him

Johannson - 5 - Anonymous, did little more than get offside

Huckerby - 8 - Good if you consider he scored one and set up another on a plate. He even made a tackle! [:O]

Hughes - 4 - Worse than Johannson in that his impact was negative whereas JJ''s was non-existent.

Safri - 6 - Below-par, probably due to the lack of real options available for him

Earnshaw - 8 - Looked good with the ball at feet, some really nice link-up play. Not to mention the goals - that''s what he was bought for!

Thorne - 4 - Can''t see the point in a hitman who won''t contest headers . . .

SUBS:

McVeigh - 7 - Calming influence on the team, nice touches and good defensive work.

McKenzie - 7 - Lively as ever, gave the team some much needed impetus, looked promising partnership w/ Earnshaw 

Robinson - 7 - Looks better with every game, some really nice touches in the short amount of time he was on, most notably the through-ball to McKenzie where he should have scored.

Brighton - 4 - Sub-standard, yet unlucky not to get something from the game. Three goals came from three defensive balls-ups.

Personally thought Johansson did a good job down the right tonight. Ran with the ball and looked positive winning a number of freekicks. Would have preferred him to partner Earnshaw in attack though rather than Thorne who just isn''t up to it in my eyes but then everyone sees things differently. I''d have given him a 6/7 for his efforts tonight... Johansson not Thorne who did nothing again.

Hughes A 6, You must be joking. I thought you were a good judge of football, but obviously the last 5 mins of the game clouded your judgement.  The team were crap last night and I would struggle to give a 6 for most of them.  Hughes a 3 because he was probably more involved than Epoopoo would have been.

Positives - Earnie scored, 4th game in a row where the performance improved slightly, 3 crucial points in the bag.

Negatives - we struggled against a poor brighton side down to 10 men, performances have gone from woeful to very poor..  s

Overall - better, still not good enough and overall below average, as flattering a 3-0 as you will ever see. 

Green 7 - MOTM  for me - kept us in game with saves at crucial stages and vision set up killer second goal with best pass of the day! 

Flem 5 - Mixed; some good tackles and headers and some woeful positioning and passing - just like Jurgen! 

Doc 6 - solid

Rehman 6 - solid

Drury 6 - Solid

Hux 6 - In and out - too quiet for too long but far better than recently with well taken goal and provided earnie with tap in.

Hughes 4 - Poor poor poor.

Safri 6 - below normal standards but still the midfield linch pin. Surprise when he came off but reports he requested it.

JJ2 5 - Started very brightly but lost from sight after first 15 mins - looks like another striker in midfield.

Thorne 5 - As Hux said post match he is better with the ball played into feet - so why is so much of the ball played in teh air and nowhere near him?  Little impact.

Earnie - for 86 minutes 4 - limited bright sparks but totally anonymous - did not hold onto ball nor create a thing;  then we finally give him some service unsurprisingly from Hux and Zipper - and he has a brace from 2 chances.   Overall 6

Subs

Zipper - 7 Bright and inventive - through balls for leon (hit post + out) and Earnie (hit post + goal) showed why he has to start.

Leon - 6 Unlucky with his one chance - enthusiasm seems to be back which is good news; suffered from a lack of service like the rest.

Robbo 5 -  On too little to comment.

[quote user="gazban"]Hughes A 6, You must be joking. I thought you were a good judge of football, but obviously the last 5 mins of the game clouded your judgement.  The team were crap last night and I would struggle to give a 6 for most of them.  Hughes a 3 because he was probably more involved than Epoopoo would have been.[/quote]

Well looking back I think the result did cloud my ratings judgement last night....  Thorne was poor first half and totally anonymous 2nd, Hughes was well Hughes I dunno, he just made less errors than usual but is a serious part of why we do so badly. I thought the defenders did well considering how much of the ball Brighton had in the final third,. altho the brighton attackers werent exactly great.  Hucks did well whenever given the ball and the subs impressed

I think the poor performances from Thorne Hughes and JJ2 caused the whole team to play poorly. 

Green 7 dealt well with crosses and great vision to find hucks

Drury 6 still seems a bit cautious to run with the ball but defensivly sound

Doc 7 a few very good tackles and powerful in the air just what you need although saying that we were playing the worst team i have seen this season

Rehman 6 sound on the deck a bit shakey in the air

Flem 6 didnt have much to do and was pretty solid

Hucks 7.5 found confindece after his goal and started to run at players also good run and lay off for our second goal

Safri 6.5 not the best but also he did make good tackles and passes

Hughes 3 the man trys but he isnt very good

Johannson 6 played out of position (worthy loves to play strikers on the right wing) but did ok made a good run in the first 10 mins and won a few free kicks

Earnie 7 This man need opportunies and he will scored and proved that in the last 10 mins other 80 he tried his best.

SUBS

McViegh 7 why wont our baffoon of a manager just give him a new contract

Robbo 6.5 did better than hughes and play quite well

Leon 7 what we have missed all season a bit on enthuisasm up front i was gutted to see his effort hit the post WELCOME BACK LEON!

Worthy 5 shoud have started McViegh and Robbo or Etuhu in front of hughes very poor game and result flattered us.

Green 8 - did nothing wrong, looked determined to put things right after a poor spell, gave his defence a justified rollicking. Much better distribution than previous games.

Drury 7 - the guy is a professional. He has his ups and downs, but I''m glad he''s in the team. He and Hux worked better together than for a while.

Doc 6 - not as solid as he was earlier this season. Not surprising because...

....Rehman 5 - is not anywhere near as good as Davenport. Maybe he''ll settle down.

Flem 6 - OK. He''s still the best right back we''ve got at the moment, but what about that ball that got through and looked as if it was slowly running out for a goal kick, unguarded by Flem, only for a Brighton forward to burst through, reach it just before it went out of play, and get a cross over? A basic error that could easily have cost.

Hucks 8 - flashes of the old Huckerby, thank God, showing how much we need him, and reminding me of why we won the League. He''s lost some pace, but when he wants to make a point he makes it.

Safri 7 - He was better than previous games, and definitely tried to close down. He worked hard, but I''m still surprised he asked to be withdrawn.

Hughes 4 - I want to applaud this guy, and I''ve seen him do good things. However... last night he didn''t.

Johansson. 6 - Ineffectual, not as good on the right, judging from this game.

Earnshaw 8 - I love him, he fights for possession, holds it well, he''s lightning quick, and he looks as if he wants to be here (which Ashton didn''t). We need to get the ball through to him early, and to do that we need a midfield.

McVeigh 7 - I wish he''d started, but where? It could only be on the right, and that''s not his best position. You have to believe that a side with Huckerby, McVeigh, Johansson and Earnshaw would be lethal, so we should try a formation to fit the players, rather than the other way round.

Robinson ? - I didn''t notice him much to be honest.

McKenzie 7 - Great to have him back, and (seen from the Barclay) his goal effort looked good.

I''ve been too generous all round really, because we looked totally out of confidence, still the same 6-0-4 formation that Mook talked about in the previous match. Passing generally dire, organisation diarroeah.

Green         8            Made crucial saves and looked good in the air.

Fleming      7            Solid

Drury         7            Neat and tidy, looks good going forward

Doherty      6            Not at his best, 1 0r 2 nervy moments.

Rehman      6            Average , no world beater

Safri            7            Good first half, but not near his best

Hughes      -1            Thd ironic chears when he passed the ball to a yealow shirt summed it all up. Cant pass, doesnt track back, mistimes tackles etc etc.

Johansen      7            Bright first half but clearly not a winger

Huckerby      9         MOM      Superb performance, always a threat and a crucial goal.

Earnshaw      8         Always looked tidy on the ball, and a well taken 2nd.

Thorne           4        Complete Donkey, rather play mckenzie

Mcveigh         7         Looked good, set up earnies 2nd. Should play ahead of JJ.

Robinson         7         Looked confortable

Mckenzie         7         Looked lively, better than thorne!

Totally agree with ZLF, only things i would change would be Flems score i think he was awfull 4 for me and Hughes doesn''t even deserve a rating.

[quote user="Old Boy"]

Flem 6 - OK. He''s still the best right back we''ve got at the moment, but what about that ball that got through and looked as if it was slowly running out for a goal kick, unguarded by Flem, only for a Brighton forward to burst through, reach it just before it went out of play, and get a cross over? A basic error that could easily have cost.

[/quote]

I saw that incident Old Boy and went apoplectic when he then turned round and blamed hughes when it was always his ball!  My daughter had to calm me down again....   It was slack defending but there were good bits from him too -

but nothing that tells me overall he is better than Colin for the future...  All 6 full backs have performed to a very similar standard all year so give the young one learning the English game a full season and see if he gets any better. 

Obviously Colin has a longer career ahead of him than Flem but he''s truly awful ZLF. In fact I would say he''s the worst player to have played in that position this season (David Wright was the best ). Do you really want to give Jurgen a full season? Its a bit of a gamble don''t you think?

Green 7 - Commanded his box well and a good save when Earnshaw lost the ball and everybody stood still and waited for Brighton to score.

Fleming 6 - No surprise with your score there ZLF but i thought he had a decent game.

Drury 7 - Steady and reliable (as usual).

Rehman 6 - A stupid booking and not as impressive as the debut (but i spose it wasn''t difficult to stand out that day!)

Doherty 6 Average performance. Found his dazzling wingplay hilarious

Johannsen 6 - Looked threatening to start with but faded badly.

Hughes 0 - Shocking. Why give him 4? He doesn''t merit a single point. How he outstayed 3 substitutions baffles me. Don''t think Robinson is the answer though as Safri needs a defensive partner with Hucks and JJ2/PM on the flanks. Therefore either JJ1 or DE to be given another chance to either prove their potential (or prove they are worse the AH).

Safri 6 - Still looking a bit sluggish and the scissor kick clearance nearly back-fired too!

Huckerby 8 - Our main attacking threat all night.

Thorne 5 - Poor. On the ground and in the air. perhaps he needs to receive the ball waist-high! 

Green - 7 - The boy did good

Fleming - 8 - He''s still got it

Drury - 7 - Solid as ever

Rehman - 8 - Sign him Nigel!! (or whoever)

Doherty - 9 - Player of the Season

Hughes - 0.5 - Well, what can we say?

Safri - 7 - Good again

Johansson - 6 - Looked good, improving at RM

Huckerby - 10 - Absolutely Brilliant, Man of the Match well deserved.

Thorne - 6 - Not a target man.

Earnshaw - 8 - He got his Goals, and the Celebration is really all Nigel has bought him for. But i like him.

Subs

McKenzie - 8 - Suprisingly good along with Earnshaw

McVeigh - 7 - Looked slightly better than JJ

Robinson - 7 - A better, more skillful version of Hughes.

some of these marks awarded by posters on here are laughable! and i dont just mean for andy hughes! how the hell fleming or rehman or doherty get more than a six is beyond me, they were average last night nothing more nothing less. johansson was ok but showed hes not a wideman and thorne was bloody awful!

the way people have given 7 or 8s makes it look like we were awesome! we were pants and the fact is nobody deserves more than a 7.

[quote user="FilletTheFishWife ."]Obviously Colin has a longer career ahead of him than Flem but he''s truly awful ZLF. In fact I would say he''s the worst player to have played in that position this season (David Wright was the best ). Do you really want to give Jurgen a full season? Its a bit of a gamble don''t you think?[/quote]

I am trying to be balanced with Flem honest FTFW!   I just thought yesterday was a mixed bag from him and he was the wekest defender - not weak though.  Old boy pointed out on of the several lapses that I alluded to in my commentary but he also made so good headers and blocks.

As far as right back is concerned not one has stood out from another - while Flem has been solid he has not reached the good bracket just like the previous 5 occupants.  For me wright totally flattered to deceive but I dont see colin as any better nor any worse that flem, hughes, wright or  MLJ in games  I have seen.  

Comparing Colin and Flem directly I would say both have woeful at distribution, colin better at reading a game and in his timing of tackles while Flem is much firmer in the tackle and simply physically more imposing - Colin does not give off that experienced confidence that Flem does which means Colin is more indecisive.  Few goals came down the right when Colin played there  Neither get forward well or effectively.  Colin was improving up to the Reading game when Hughes deserted and slaughtered him more than the reading wide men did.  Improving does not mean good.

As so many ''furriners'' find out British football is twice a physical as any other league and played with half the time available on the ball.  I think (!) he was coming up to speed with the pace of the game but needs 30+ games to do so and then we can judge whether RB is another position we need to replace in the summer - having spent the money on him give him some time in a mid-table tem going nowhere to see just how much he can improve - if he doesnt then we sell him.

Also you have to recall most of Colins dutch experience was at centre back and not full back, which is a different role to come accustomed too.

If Flem stays at right back this season he will be OK at least every game (which is a 5 or more) and I will not complain; our big problems are not in the back 4.  

However Colin may move from a 5 to a 6/7 and save expenditure in the summer with a few more games - thats the only place I am coming from - and as few goals come from down that flank and with us neither getting relegated nor near the play offs where is the gamble?  Something to gain and nothing to lose.