Sign in to follow this  
Lewis NCFC

The Relegation Scrap

You would have to say it's 3 from 7 to go down;

We still have Brentford, Newcastle and Burnley all to play at home.  Massive game v Palace tonight to try and keep the momentum going before tough fixtures v Man City & Liverpool. 

Anyone else think Brentford are bang in the mix?   

Brentford

Leeds

Everton

Newcastle

Norwich

Watford

Burnley

Leicester were seriously awful against Forest in the Cup and seem similar to Everton - some good players, but not a lot of blood and thunder about them. They could easily get dragged in if the next 3 or 4 games go against them. As could Palace. A win tonight and they are only 5 points ahead of us.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

After last night replace Newcastle with Leicester (yes seriously) and it is indeed 3 from 7.

Leicester are 10 points clear of us. By that token Villa and Southampton are also in the mix. Personally I don’t see it. I even think Brentford are a stretch because one win and they’re then 10 clear of us (as it stands).

To me, you’re looking at Leeds and below. As others have said on another thread, Newcastle beating a terrible Everton doesn’t mean they’re going to string a bunch of results together. 

Still lots to play for but I think those sitting on a mid 20s point total right now will probably be fine.

The point I would make about Brentford is that they were hopeless under pressure in the championship therefore I am hoping for them to arrive in choke city any time now.

But really quality wise I think it’s us Burnley, Brentford. Watford are awful but Sarr is a high quality player.

8 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

Leicester are 10 points clear of us. By that token Villa and Southampton are also in the mix. Personally I don’t see it. I even think Brentford are a stretch because one win and they’re then 10 clear of us (as it stands).

To me, you’re looking at Leeds and below. As others have said on another thread, Newcastle beating a terrible Everton doesn’t mean they’re going to string a bunch of results together. 

Still lots to play for but I think those sitting on a mid 20s point total right now will probably be fine.

I agree I think it's highly unlikely Leicester will join the pack. Villa may be there on points at the moment but their squad now looks like a top 8 team after the January window. Leicester on the other hand have done nothing and are missing Vardy. 

Brentford's form is abysmal they are on the long slide and will be with us come the end of the season. Eriksen was a marquee signing but isn't going to be involved for weeks apparently.

Everton are terrible. Full stop. Without Richarlison they are nothing.

Palace's form is poor, beating them tonight would make them contenders too, although I think they are probably too strong to get drawn in.

Given our terrible start I'm just glad there is some remote hope now.

• Like 2

We've got to remember we are likely to get thumped versus Man City and Liverpool so I think the look of the table after those games will be a good measure of our chances - whether those around us pick up lots of points during those games. Beating Palace tonight will be amazing but it might look tricky again after those two super hard games

I thought palace looked good in the fa cup at the weekend , this is a toughie and our record against palace is poor.but we've raised our game.😙

11 minutes ago, JB said:

We've got to remember we are likely to get thumped versus Man City and Liverpool so I think the look of the table after those games will be a good measure of our chances - whether those around us pick up lots of points during those games. Beating Palace tonight will be amazing but it might look tricky again after those two super hard games

Way to look at Man City and Liverpool is free hits. Anything from those games even a low goal tally loss is better than an outright hiding both in terms of GD (though that couldn’t get much worse 😂) and confidence moving forward. 

18 minutes ago, Thumbbass said:

I agree I think it's highly unlikely Leicester will join the pack. Villa may be there on points at the moment but their squad now looks like a top 8 team after the January window. Leicester on the other hand have done nothing and are missing Vardy. 

Brentford's form is abysmal they are on the long slide and will be with us come the end of the season. Eriksen was a marquee signing but isn't going to be involved for weeks apparently.

Everton are terrible. Full stop. Without Richarlison they are nothing.

Palace's form is poor, beating them tonight would make them contenders too, although I think they are probably too strong to get drawn in.

Given our terrible start I'm just glad there is some remote hope now.

If I may respond. Brentford’s form dipped as soon as Raya went off injured and he has been out for 3 months include Ajer 2 months and Henry 1 month. Raya is now back as is Ajer and Henry. With the addition of Josh DaSilva who’s been injured a year. They will be getting back to form soon. Re Eriksen, he’s expected to possibly be in contention for the Arsenal game ( probably off the bench) after a behind closed doors game next week. 

Think Leicester will be fine this season, but they could be one to drop in following years. Vardy's been a proper talisman for them for so long and without him they look a bit bereft.

For me, Brentford are the one that could get dragged in and when put under pressure....

I have to say that it's almost certainly two from the bottom three and highly likely to be just those three. That's certainly reflected in the betting with Newcastle now 1/3 to stay up. I could see maybe one of the bottom three escaping, and maybe Brentford getting sucked in, but only if they basically capitulate from here on. Us surviving would be somewhat of a miracle and, at 7/2, worth a few £.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

What is the cliche?  There's always one club that unexpectedly get drawn into the relegation scrap.  This year I can easily see it being Leicester. 

Their defence is shocking so they will have to outscore the opposition to win any games.  On the scoring front though, Vardy is often injured and even when he plays he no longer seems to know where the net is.  Without him they rely on Iheanacho who is one of those strikers who needs 20 chances a game before they get one on target, so much will depend on Maddison and Tielemans (the latter seems to be going trough a very bad patch at moment).  Let's see... 

Agree that Villa & Soton probably have enough to stay well away from the scrap.

2 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

What is the cliche?  There's always one club that unexpectedly get drawn into the relegation scrap.  This year I can easily see it being Leicester. 

Their defence is shocking so they will have to outscore the opposition to win any games.  On the scoring front though, Vardy is often injured and even when he plays he no longer seems to know where the net is.  Without him they rely on Iheanacho who is one of those strikers who needs 20 chances a game before they get one on target, so much will depend on Maddison and Tielemans (the latter seems to be going trough a very bad patch at moment).  Let's see... 

I’ll give you there were dreadful in the cup against Forest, especially when they were the holders, you’d think they’d want to defend it…

Whether than translates to the league let’s see. I wonder think they’d get rid of Rodgers before slipping further down the league though and a new manager might keep that from happening. 

30 minutes ago, SeaPallingBee said:

If I may respond. Brentford’s form dipped as soon as Raya went off injured and he has been out for 3 months include Ajer 2 months and Henry 1 month. Raya is now back as is Ajer and Henry. With the addition of Josh DaSilva who’s been injured a year. They will be getting back to form soon. Re Eriksen, he’s expected to possibly be in contention for the Arsenal game ( probably off the bench) after a behind closed doors game next week. 

That is certainly encouraging for you / Brentford but it is far from rare to see a side who were everyone's favourites 'early doors' to then start losing and basically can't stop and get relegated. Blackpool under Holloway are a classic case in point. IF Man City do the business tonight AND we get over the line then we are four points behind Brentford with a game in hand and we have to play them at home soon. I'm not saying they will go down but I can see them getting seriously sucked in.  

27 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

People often say 'theres always one club that gets drawn into a relegation battle'

Is there any statistical proof on this?

In my mind the 3 relegated clubs usually come from a pack of 4 or so clubs who've largely been down the bottom all season

Last season , Fulham , WBA and Sheff Utd were pretty cut and dried with 2+ months to go

32 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

That is certainly encouraging for you / Brentford but it is far from rare to see a side who were everyone's favourites 'early doors' to then start losing and basically can't stop and get relegated. Blackpool under Holloway are a classic case in point. IF Man City do the business tonight AND we get over the line then we are four points behind Brentford with a game in hand and we have to play them at home soon. I'm not saying they will go down but I can see them getting seriously sucked in.  

TBH, regardless of how well we play, to come away with anything from City will be a miracle. I think our season will be defined over the next 6 games after tonight. During which time ( if there are any games in the Premiership that are easy) we have a run that could see us collect 9 points. Another 3 points from the rest of renaming games should see us safe for next season’s battle. Personally I’d hope you do get out and stay out of the bottom three and any one of Burnley, Watford, Everton, Newcastle or Leeds go down. 

Back in 2015-16, we had 23 points from the first 20 games. We got 11 points from the next 18, including 3 from a home game against Watford when we were already down.

It's not over for anyone in the bottom half, with all the teams at the bottom now collecting points and everyone playing each other. Two or three of the teams above us will be dragged down.

Pant wetting after Newcastle win 2 games.  One lucky victory over Leeds and another against an Everton side who are poor.  We have recent evidence how poor.  Newcastle are still in the scrap for survival. 

A reverse this evening will see any confidence from recent resukts ebb away a win however would be a godsend.  Climbing out of bottom 3 again just the job.  Palace have some impressive attacking talent and must be favourites  

4 hours ago, Ulfotto said:

The point I would make about Brentford is that they were hopeless under pressure in the championship therefore I am hoping for them to arrive in choke city any time now.

But really quality wise I think it’s us Burnley, Brentford. Watford are awful but Sarr is a high quality player.

It’s a bit strange that Sarr played a part in Senegal’s last 3 games at the AFCON, and then wasn’t in Watford’s squad last night. Perhaps they’d written that game off, or didn’t want to risk him getting injured again?

44 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

It’s a bit strange that Sarr played a part in Senegal’s last 3 games at the AFCON, and then wasn’t in Watford’s squad last night. Perhaps they’d written that game off, or didn’t want to risk him getting injured again?

I believe the Senegal players are back in the country today. They all traveled to Senegal to celebrate. 

25 minutes ago, Canaries north said:

I believe the Senegal players are back in the country today. They all traveled to Senegal to celebrate. 

Thanks, I should have read the BBC article which said that Mane wouldn’t be back for the same reason!

• Like 1