Pete Raven

2022/23 season ticket prices announced

3 minutes ago, Diane said:

Here's this seasons premier prices, copied from a newspaper article, these are the cheapest adult seats.

It says only Bournemouth in the Championship are more expensive than us  again using the cheapest adult prices

I was expecting an increase after 9 years of frozen prices so 7% -  £3pm isnt too bad

Screenshot_20220114-174408_Chrome.jpg

Its a nothing stat though because our cheapest tickets for probably two thirds of the capacity. 

Now if we made the corners £100 cheaper and added £100 to the Barclay and riverend centre blocks ours would look more comparable and our club would get even more revenue.

and 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Ah, so we agree, raising season ticket prices isn't defensible. Not only do we agree, but so does everyone else, according to nutty nigel.

Christ on a bike.

I should have a lay down Dan. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Diane said:

Here's this seasons premier prices, copied from a newspaper article, these are the cheapest adult seats.

It says only Bournemouth in the Championship are more expensive than us  again using the cheapest adult prices

I was expecting an increase after 9 years of frozen prices so 7% -  £3pm isnt too bad

Screenshot_20220114-174408_Chrome.jpg

Spot the self-funded club in there

On the surface it’s easy to consider how long prices have been frozen for, and conclude that the club has been doing us some kind of favour all these years. So yes of course the prices were going to go up, after so much gratitude from the club in locking their prices…

But the tickets have consistently been far more expensive than the vast majority of clubs in a similar position to us, and even more than clubs with far more success. 

So I guess thanks to the club for all those seasons where you didn’t make us pay even more for the going rate than we already we?

Until now anyway…

Also, the ‘if you don’t like it then don’t go’ argument might just be the worst one I’ve heard. If that’s how you view your support of the club and attending games then you clearly are just a customer and not a fan. 

5 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

As expected. I will pay it because that’s what I do but am not impressed. Could do without the spin in the release as well. I don’t think it’s anything to do with the pandemic. But at least the Stowmarket 2 get propped up for another year.

But Brighton have a much richer owner, but their season tickets are more expensive?

Maybe you're just trying to find a way to blame the owners?

The increase is totally reasonable.

9 minutes ago, hogesar said:

But Brighton have a much richer owner, but their season tickets are more expensive?

Ah yes, why benchmark our prices against the average of all teams of a similar size and stature when we can simply cherry pick one example?

26 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Ah yes, why benchmark our prices against the average of all teams of a similar size and stature when we can simply cherry pick one example?

I'm not. I'm pointing out that the sarcastic comment about our owners is unwarranted and in this case irrelevant.

Equally, most on here are cherry picking in comparing vs cheapest season ticket, rather than the average season ticket price.

I expected a rise, I think anyone sane and in touch with the financial world expected a rise and its less than I thought it would be. A season ticket isn't a human right, there is a choice. And the choice isn't dont go - an alternative is to get a membership and choose a few select games to go to. There's other alternatives too.

42 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Spoken like a true customer 

I'm going to hedge my bets that @ricardo has been peddling down to Carrow Road for much longer than you've been alive - if he isn't a fan, I dont really know who you think is.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I'm going to hedge my bets that @ricardo has been peddling down to Carrow Road for much longer than you've been alive - if he isn't a fan, I dont really know who you think is.

You’re absolutely right Hoggy, so you’d think he’d be able to offer a shred of sympathy for his fellow supporters who maybe were priced out thanks to the increase, or not? Perhaps he’d be a bit more empathetic if it affected him... It’s so strange the total distain shown to supporters who question / are disappointed in the club’s pricing.

7 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I'm not. I'm pointing out that the sarcastic comment about our owners is unwarranted and in this case irrelevant.

Equally, most on here are cherry picking in comparing vs cheapest season ticket, rather than the average season ticket price.

I expected a rise, I think anyone sane and in touch with the financial world expected a rise and its less than I thought it would be. A season ticket isn't a human right, there is a choice. And the choice isn't dont go - an alternative is to get a membership and choose a few select games to go to. There's other alternatives too.

Dress it up how you want, we’re pricing in competition with some of the best and biggest clubs in the PL, yet not competing with them, and will likely take these prices down to the championship next season.

Yes it’s a choice to buy a season ticket or not, but the club you support certainly isn’t, otherwise you’d be getting a whole bunch of NCFC fans migrating to Manchester right now… so it doesn’t really feel in good nature increasing already overpriced tickets knowing that the loyal support will oblige.

Its already very expensive to go and watch NCFC play, and now it’s even more, so let’s just call a spade a spade shall we? It’s not perfectly reasonable, it’s bloody expensive…

I think @canarydan23 called it perfectly to be honest.

7 hours ago, ricardo said:

If you can't afford it or don't think its worth the money, you have a choice.

Agree. I think all things considered the price increase is fair and reasonable. I will be renewing

9 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

The sad thing is, the club will use the price rises in energy, petrol costs, shopping etc etc, and inflation as an excuse to justify what they are doing to raise an extra £500k or so from their most loyal fans. Treating the club like a business, not the community asset that it should be. I guess that's modern football. The sad thing is how many fans are prepared to man the barricades defending their nefarious actions.

We are only a community club when it suits them (ie when the club needs funding). We find the club, the owners get to pass on their train set. 

7 hours ago, hogesar said:

It is linked to the ownership. Many clubs with wealthier owners have actually been cutting the cost of season tickets in recent years. 

our ticket prices (especially our disgusting casual prices) are always on the high side because we need to grasp every penny we can get from the fanbase to try and inflate our budget, due to the fact our owners put nothing in and have not been able to afford to expand the ground. 

That said, this increase inflates our budget by a sum that is insignificant in the grand scheme of things (especially if we stay up). It’s not justified whilst we are receiving prem tv monies or parachute payments. 

6 hours ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

You’re absolutely right Hoggy, so you’d think he’d be able to offer a shred of sympathy for his fellow supporters who maybe were priced out thanks to the increase, or not? Perhaps he’d be a bit more empathetic if it affected him... It’s so strange the total distain shown to supporters who question / are disappointed in the club’s pricing.

Dress it up how you want, we’re pricing in competition with some of the best and biggest clubs in the PL, yet not competing with them, and will likely take these prices down to the championship next season.

Yes it’s a choice to buy a season ticket or not, but the club you support certainly isn’t, otherwise you’d be getting a whole bunch of NCFC fans migrating to Manchester right now… so it doesn’t really feel in good nature increasing already overpriced tickets knowing that the loyal support will oblige.

Its already very expensive to go and watch NCFC play, and now it’s even more, so let’s just call a spade a spade shall we? It’s not perfectly reasonable, it’s bloody expensive…

This is a good point. We are pricing in line with a bunch of clubs we are consistently told we “can’t compete with” financially. 

9 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

As a matter if interest why is the price for over 65s so cheap?

Same product, same seat.

Why do children get a discount? Why do we have an under 21 rate?

Probably because everybody does and not just in football.

I think the key point is that the Scum article is just looking at the cheapest season ticket. Most other clubs have huge variations, so as has been said, we should look at the average price. After years of freezes I think the increase is modest and reasonable.

11 hours ago, Uncle Fred said:

We are a captive audience they know we will pay

I feared those groups that represented the fans had done a poor job of lobbying to hold down any increase and my fears have been realised 

With this being the OSPs first year of operation it is disappointing that the Club's statement doesn't thank them for their diligent work and contribution on season ticket pricing.

Also no numbers in the Club statement. They could have mentioned that a 7% increase for the punters will enable them to keep their wage bill 1% higher. Then again perhaps not.

Communication still Work in Progress.

8 hours ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

I have empathy towards those who may have been priced out - although at £2 a game approx increase i'm not sure it's such an increase that's likely to cause that realistically. But like I say, you're not then shut out completely, you can go to less games casually instead.

2 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

It is linked to the ownership. Many clubs with wealthier owners have actually been cutting the cost of season tickets in recent years. 

Again, Nutty's point is incredibly relevant. Looking at the ground map, take the 'best owners in the prem' in Leicester, and there's only about 6,000 fans getting cheaper season tickets than us. The rest are paying similar or more. Brighton was my other example. I've not looked elsewhere but the point is we could make the Community Stand £150 cheaper and we'd have one of the cheapest-cheapest season tickets but it would only benefit 2000 people.

28 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

As a matter if interest why is the price for over 65s so cheap?

Same product, same seat.

I guess the traditional justification for this is that children and over 65s were generally not of working age.

However, given the generational shift, it does become harder to justify younger people subsidising things for the over 65s. It's the boomer generation currently or recently turning 65 and they are the wealthiest generation, by far. The trouble is, there will be uproar if you take it from them; it's one of life's great ironies that millennials are called entitled largely by a generation who had free higher education, easy access to the property market, a much more stable job market and will die in a ditch arguing about how they've earned their cheap season tickets.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Why do children get a discount? Why do we have an under 21 rate?

Probably because everybody does and not just in football.

I think the key point is that the Scum article is just looking at the cheapest season ticket. Most other clubs have huge variations, so as has been said, we should look at the average price. After years of freezes I think the increase is modest and reasonable.

I would hazard a guess that for every U21 there is an adult paying £534, that's a huge chunk out of a household income.

Makes the over 65 rate look even cheaper.

You can see why the age distribution of ST holders is what it is. Can't help thinking the club is missing a trick here.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I have empathy towards those who may have been priced out - although at £2 a game approx increase i'm not sure it's such an increase that's likely to cause that realistically. But like I say, you're not then shut out completely, you can go to less games casually instead.

Again, Nutty's point is incredibly relevant. Looking at the ground map, take the 'best owners in the prem' in Leicester, and there's only about 6,000 fans getting cheaper season tickets than us. The rest are paying similar or more. Brighton was my other example. I've not looked elsewhere but the point is we could make the Community Stand £150 cheaper and we'd have one of the cheapest-cheapest season tickets but it would only benefit 2000 people.

There are some interesting wrinkles in our pricing structure. I do find it odd that an adult season ticket is currently the same in the Barclay and the family areas but the under 18 season ticket is almost half the price depending on which stand you're in. Also it is odd that a seat that has a restricted view in a corner stand is the same as prime lower Barclay. I think the club could stand to relook at those. 

Edited by king canary

11 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

For me, supporting your club is closer to a chemical addiction

If fans support is closer to "chemical addiction" (which I basically agree with) you could argue that the suppliers of the addictive drug have been amazingly restrained in only raising the price by 3.5% in the last 10 years or so.* Prices have risen nearly about 30% in the last 10 years. so this is a big real terms cut.

Not many businesses would be so restrained if the were in possession of an addictive product.

* or whatever the exact details are

20 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

I would hazard a guess that for every U21 there is an adult paying £534, that's a huge chunk out of a household income.

Makes the over 65 rate look even cheaper.

You can see why the age distribution of ST holders is what it is. Can't help thinking the club is missing a trick here.

Good point - also look at the relative wealth of those concerned. I know that there are exceptions, but in general, older people have far more assets that those in their late teens and early 20s.

+ as a club we have to look to the future, we mustn't "price out" our future supporters.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I guess the traditional justification for this is that children and over 65s were generally not of working age.

However, given the generational shift, it does become harder to justify younger people subsidising things for the over 65s. It's the boomer generation currently or recently turning 65 and they are the wealthiest generation, by far. The trouble is, there will be uproar if you take it from them; it's one of life's great ironies that millennials are called entitled largely by a generation who had free higher education, easy access to the property market, a much more stable job market and will die in a ditch arguing about how they've earned their cheap season tickets.

Wow, you’re not bitter are you ? 

4 minutes ago, Badger said:

Good point - also look at the relative wealth of those concerned. I know that there are exceptions, but in general, older people have far more assets that those in their late teens and early 20s.

+ as a club we have to look to the future, we mustn't "price out" our future supporters.

I do think we're getting more and more into the 'do we need to expand the ground' debate.

I'm one of those fans who were hooked in due to low prices in the late 90's/early 2000's- first few games were 'kids for a quid' and my first season ticket was about £30, as I grew up I was paying a full £500 odd for about 6 or 7 years. So longer term its worth it for the club. It obviously makes no sense for the club to charge prices that low for people when the ground sells out no issue but we do need to make sure younger fans have access and the chance to get hooked which probably means we need more seats. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Its a nothing stat though because our cheapest tickets for probably two thirds of the capacity. 

Now if we made the corners £100 cheaper and added £100 to the Barclay and riverend centre blocks ours would look more comparable and our club would get even more revenue.

and 

Exactly Nutty, I don't really see how this is a point of contention.

Man City have a seat for £325, apparently they also have an unbelievable amount of pricing tiers for various different factors including going back to the Maine Road grandfathered seats.  And yes they have a seat priced at £325, but that might only cover 100 fans.  I'm sure someone here would be complaining if our 'cheapest' seat was £300 yet only a handful of people could access it.

Ultimately the club hadn't raised season ticket prices for 9 years, our cheapest ticket, if prices had gone up with inflation should have been £609 this season, not £499.  For the sake of a couple of quid a game, I think this rise is fair.