Sign in to follow this  
pete

The English Game

Interesting programme on Netflix concerning football in the 18th Century. The early years of the fa cup and the rise of proffesionalism and the decline of the of the public school influence in football.  Within the background of the English class system.  Downton Abbey meets MOTD.  It is really good worth a view.   

2 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I think I'd prefer one about football in the 19th century 😉

Pop down to Portman Road. They love history about football.

I liked the change from a more rugby style tactic of charging forward with the ball in groups to actually passing the ball about.

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Back when football was a working class sport and not a trumped up superstar show.

Do we have a working class anymore?  To me working class meant you got a sore lug hole if you left the bathroom light on when coming downstairs!  🙂

That said, when I was younger, I can't remember many people talking halftime over the pros and cons of a double pivot midfield within a 4-2-3-1 system operating behind a lone number 10 versus that of a narrower 4-4-2 formation at half-time. 

The price of pies was considered quite a classy topic, ...or having clean trainers.

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Do we have a working class anymore?  To me working class meant you got a sore lug hole if you left the bathroom light on when coming downstairs!  🙂

That said, when I was younger, I can't remember many people talking halftime over the pros and cons of a double pivot midfield within a 4-2-3-1 system operating behind a lone number 10 versus that of a narrower 4-4-2 formation at half-time. 

The price of pies was considered quite a classy topic, ...or having clean trainers.

Back when working class meant down the mines or working on the fields of course 😉

35 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

I liked the change from a more rugby style tactic of charging forward with the ball in groups to actually passing the ball about.

The early days of Farkeball

5 hours ago, Google Bot said:

And nobody argued or got stroppy on social media because there was none

No Google to find the answers . How life has changed and our game has been stolen from us. Where's Robin Hood when you need him ffs.

That was a superb series. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Completely unrelatable to the modern game though in all but the basic rules. 

Edited by JB

I watched it too. Really enjoyed it. 

Best footballers in the UK back then were Scottish... Who'd have thunk it? 😉

18 hours ago, KiwiScot said:

It was the Scots that invented the passing game. When they tried it first in an International match against England they were accused of cheating in the report by The Times. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

When they tried it first in an International match against England they were accused of cheating in the report by The Times. 

Wow, never knew that. Very interesting.

40 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Wow, never knew that. Very interesting.

Read all about it 

1485897072_Screenshot_20220209-131111_AmazonShopping.thumb.jpg.e7e667d4d676e70d8f30b1faa908de60.jpg

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Thanks 1

On 08/02/2022 at 15:49, pete said:

Interesting programme on Netflix concerning football in the 18th Century. The early years of the fa cup and the rise of proffesionalism and the decline of the of the public school influence in football.  Within the background of the English class system.  Downton Abbey meets MOTD.  It is really good worth a view.   

Its very good  Well worth watching