Sooty57

Which kop game would you choose?

With two games at Liverpool coming in quick succession, I was wondering... ย If we could win just one of those two games, would you rather take the league game or the cup tie?

No Lakey, it's a hypothetical question - you can't choose bothย ๐Ÿ˜‰

Edited by Sooty57

League. We've got a faint chance of staying up. Until mathematics tell us otherwise, let's go all in on that.

• Like 2

Cup game for me. Hopefully live on BBC/ITV. Win it and we're one game from Wembley. ๐Ÿ’›โšฝ๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ’ช

Edited by nutty nigel
  • Like 1

We've got 15 other matches to get the points to stay up, but the the cup match is our only chance to get to the quarter final this season, so I would choose winning the cup match. We are owed a quarter final as well after lockdown robbed us fans of being there two seasons ago.

Hopefully we win both though!

Should this even be debated?

Now that we are in with a chance of survival (and not languishing in that certs forย relegation spot) we need every point we can get. An unikely three against Liverpool would be a massive, massive step.

Besides, we are only in the last sixteen. Beating Liverpool wouldย ย still mean that we are a fair distance from a Wembley final (another three wins actually), no matter how much it all fires the imagination.

A cup loss is easily forgotten, relegation is "a fate worse than death."

ย 

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Argos said:

We've got 15 other matches to get the points to stay up, but the the cup match is our only chance to get to the quarter final this season, so I would choose winning the cup match. We are owed a quarter final as well after lockdown robbed us fans of being there two seasons ago.

Hopefully we win both though!

100% correct. Very easy to assume that three points in the league game would be 'massive' but it will be irrelevant if we don't win the huge home games coming up v Palace, Newcastle, Burnley and Brentford. Our survival depends (not exclusively but to a considerable degree) on beating those teams around us which deprives them of points (hence 'six pointers').ย Sure we will still need points from other games to get to something like 34 or 35 which MIGHT be enough but you then look to March 12th for another must win game.

Win the Cup game and we're only 90 minutes from a Wembley Semi Final FFS!!ย ย 

Our season in the league won't be defined by an away game at Anfield, especially if we lose to our rivals in others.

To dump the scousers out of the FA Cup would be priceless.ย 

Especially if we did it without Gilmour on the pitch, the media would be in meltdown.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

Is it, though? Relegation last time led to an unforgettable season in the Championship. Without relegation in 2014 we wouldn't have had the play-off final the following year. Etc, etc. Would you have swapped the Milk Cup win for survival in 85?ย 

Putting Liverpool out of the cup at Anfield would be one for the ages, just as the win at Spurs was two years ago.ย 

I really want us to stay up, mostly to annoy TalkSport, but this weekend's cup football has been so great, a real reminder of the joys of football outside the grim seriousness of the Prem.ย 

ย 

I went on the club's ticket site last night - unless anything has changed overnight, the League match is already sold out so no debate.ย  You only have the opportunity of the cup match.ย  OTBC!

Are we even "allowed" to win one of them against a brand-giant such as Liverpool? Shouldn't we be letting the FA / Premier League / PGMOL know our intentions first, just to check it's even possible? ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

I went on the club's ticket site last night - unless anything has changed overnight, the League match is already sold out so no debate.ย  You only have the opportunity of the cup match.ย  OTBC!

Yep, all sold out for the league matchimage.thumb.png.0138e790f0489305061f93b7a5b29667.png

It's unrealistic we would win the cup anyway, so would rather we pick up 3 unexpected points in the league

• Like 1

ย 

1 hour ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Is it, though? Relegation last time led to an unforgettable season in the Championship. Without relegation in 2014 we wouldn't have had the play-off final the following year. Etc, etc. Would you have swapped the Milk Cup win for survival in 85?ย 

ย 

ย 

It was reference to McNally's quote, with a hint of sarcasm.

Some on here, myself included, have some slight concern that we may not be able to continue replicating our successes in the Championship. It's probbaly touch and go.

I've previously saidย that if yo-yoing could be guaranteed for the next ten years, then I would take it. best of both, so to speak.

Our name would likely be mud in the footballing world though, especially after the tirade of abuse we experienced ealier in the season.

Who knows about the Milk Cup success and where the club might be now?ย It might be our only trophy of note, but it's hardly worth a star on the shirt. Besides, beating Liverpool in the next round far from ensures another trophy. A few other big boys will still be there.

ย 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Should this even be debated?

Now that we are in with a chance of survival (and not languishing in that certs forย relegation spot) we need every point we can get. An unikely three against Liverpool would be a massive, massive step.

Besides, we are only in the last sixteen. Beating Liverpool wouldย ย still mean that we are a fair distance from a Wembley final (another three wins actually), no matter how much it all fires the imagination.

ย 

If we beat Liverpool we'd only be one more win away from a Wembley Semi Final, and two wins from the final.

Cup

The purpose of sport is to win trophy's not just survive in a league. Our only chance of winning a trophy is a cup unless something changes dramatically.ย 

ย 

3 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Beating Liverpool wouldย ย still mean that we are a fair distance from a Wembley final (another three wins actually),

Incorrect.ย 

Beating Liverpool in the last 16 would mean we would be two matches from a Wembley final (last 8 =1/4 final, last 4 =Semi final).

ย 

1 minute ago, Greavsy said:

Incorrect.ย 

Beating Liverpool in the last 16 would mean we would be two matches from a Wembley final (last 8 =1/4 final, last 4 =Semi final).

ย 

Quite.

Already been pointed out though.

ย 

1 minute ago, BroadstairsR said:

Quite.

Already been pointed out though.

ย 

didn't realise itย was a speed competition.ย 

Shouldn't you be on the golfย course, or the yacht with your 'mates'ย ย 

Apology accepted.ย 

6 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

didn't realise itย was a speed competition.ย 

Shouldn't you be on the golfย course, or the yacht with your 'mates'ย ย 

Apology accepted.ย 

Jesus Christ! Talk about dumb downing.ย 

Actually the yacht is being re-furbished (new loungers) and I played golf yesterday. Besides I have an important luncheon date lined up for later. You know how it is.ย 

What wine would you suggest should be my tipple of choice this pm?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Actually the yacht is being re-furbished (new loungers) and I played golf yesterday. Besides I have an important luncheon date lined up for later. You know how it is.ย 

image.png.66656c1d69cf267f75fb34e6ace321a1.png

1 minute ago, BroadstairsR said:

Having not said what cuisine you are going for its impossible to offer a choice, i'm not aย ย philistine, having previously worked in an off licence I probably know more about that than you would ever give anyone credit for.ย  But i'm sure you're well versed in such matters too.ย ย 

Still, if you cease the whining that you excel in then everyone will be happy!ย ย ย 

Does your opening comment in your reply constitute another 'Hammering' from you? ouch.ย ย 

Tootle pip old chap, Dont be late, (hope the Alpha starts this time)