Sign in to follow this  
NorthCarolinaYellow

This Week's Relegation Zone Matches ...

Let's talk the Tuesday and Wednesday matches involving the 8-9 clubs at the lower end of the table ...

Tuesday

Newcastle–Everton

West Ham—Watford

Burnley—United

Wednesday

Norwich—Palace

Spurs—Southampton

City–Brentford

Villa–Leeds

West Ham, United, Spurs, and City are all fighting for a trophy/place in Europe and should be highly motivated to beat their opponents. Does anyone see one or more of Watford, Burnley, Southampton, or Brentford picking anything up? Maybe a surprise point by the Saints or Bees? It's hard to see too much there.

Newcastle–Everton will be fascinating ... no result is terrible for us but I think we'd like to see a draw? I'm convinced Everton are a total mess, Lampard was a bad choice, and they are very much in the relegation fight for now.

That leaves our match against Palace. Huge to say the least. Not a "must" win but ... it would be oh so nice to get something out of it and I know that we can. Carrow Road will be buzzing. I cannot wait!!

• Like 2

Everton didn't look much of a mess yesterday. Obviously new manager bounce is a possibility, and Lampard is unlikely to do much for their defence, but they just look to me to have too much going forward to be in serious trouble. I think we want them to stuff Newcastle. It's Brentford we want to drag into it, and they're conceding so many goals at the moment, I think that's entirely possible.

Edited by Robert N. LiM
  • Like 4

Games like Newcastle Vs Everton and Villa vs Leeds you should always want a draw at this point in the season, because that way a point goes missing, and neither team makes full advantage. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Everton didn't look much of a mess yesterday. Obviously new manager bounce is a possibility, and Lampard is unlikely to do much for their defence, but they just look to me to have too much going forward to be in serious trouble. I think we want them to stuff Newcastle. It's Brentford we want to drag into it, and they're conceding so many goals at the moment, I think that's entirely possible.

Everton and probably Newcastle will be fine, as you rightly say its Brentford for me that we have to try and reel in. They are in woeful form lately, we still have to play them at the Carra, which will be a huge game, beat them and they are right in the mire if they arent already by that point.

17 hours ago, NorthCarolinaYellow said:

Let's talk the Tuesday and Wednesday matches involving the 8-9 clubs at the lower end of the table ...

Tuesday

Newcastle–Everton

West Ham—Watford

Burnley—United

Wednesday

Norwich—Palace

Spurs—Southampton

City–Brentford

Villa–Leeds

We’re playing twice on Wednesday then? That’s got to be a stretch for the squad…

• Like 1

17 hours ago, NorthCarolinaYellow said:

West Ham, United, Spurs, and City are all fighting for a trophy/place in Europe and should be highly motivated to beat their opponents. .

That leaves our match against Palace. Huge to say the least. Not a "must" win but ... it would be oh so nice to get something out of it and I know that we can. Carrow Road will be buzzing. I cannot wait!!

LDC would applaud your confidence and high ambition for the season

• Haha 3

Everton won't be in any serious danger and we've already played them twice. Any games they have v the bottom 6 I'd be strongly in favour of them winning.

You lot are very confident in Everton despite their terrible form, having scored fewer goals than Brentford, having the 6th worst GD in the league, now being managed by Frank Lampard, etc. Sure, they'll probably be fine in the end but they are woeful. They're nowhere near mid-table safety alongside Villa etc. at the moment.

1 hour ago, GenerationA47 said:

LDC would applaud your confidence and high ambition for the season

"Look, we've 16 matches left to play for which means 48 points for a total of 64. Being conservative and saying we won't win 2-3 of those matches ... that still puts us squarely in serious contention for Europa League which I believe we should be aiming for. Why not?"

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, NorthCarolinaYellow said:

"Look, we've 16 matches left to play for which means 48 points for a total of 64. Being conservative and saying we won't win 2-3 of those matches ... that still puts us squarely in serious contention for Europa League which I believe we should be aiming for. Why not?"

Excellent 

Now confirm the United you meant was also the one we all assumed?

image.jpeg.652d681f5767860f7e5a6c6af3355022.jpeg

So what are the three teams people think are going come end of may?

I think you can make a case with Brentford but they do have points on the board already

Everton you would fancy will stay, even if poor form, Frank surely can't make that big a mess can he?

We have to have been considered dead and burried but deano and shakey have gave us a chance, we are prob the form team down there 

Watford. Should be gone but Roy is handy, do we fancy him to pull them out?

Burnley. Games in hand, and dyce knows what he is doing as does the squad, but is this one year too many (much like Wigan 6/7years ago)

Newcastle. Hmm, didn't exactly go for it this window, it wouldn't fill me with confidence if I was a fan. Eddie Howe is a 🃏

Is there a side I'm missing who should be considered as part of the scrap?

No, I think you're right. To stay up we need to finish above three out of Brentford, Watford, Newcastle and Burnley. I think it's tough, but just about doable. Going to need a win and a draw from the games against Palace and Southampton to keep us in contention, given that you have to expect two defeats from the Citeh and Liverpool games. Goes without saying that Wednesday is hoooooooooge.

3 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

No, I think you're right. To stay up we need to finish above three out of Brentford, Watford, Newcastle and Burnley. I think it's tough, but just about doable. Going to need a win and a draw from the games against Palace and Southampton to keep us in contention, given that you have to expect two defeats from the Citeh and Liverpool games. Goes without saying that Wednesday is hoooooooooge.

Agreed! Got me ticket and night off sorted and gunna scream me lungs out! Come on you yellows!

3 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Agreed! Got me ticket and night off sorted and gunna scream me lungs out! Come on you yellows!

• Thanks 1

I used to live in Croydon and have experienced so much suffering at Selhurst Park. It's about time a game against Palace brought us some joy. OTBC

I know it looks like they are comfortably placed mid-table, but Leicester yesterday looked dire defensively and have been letting in shedloads since just before Xmas.  Still an outside chance they may get dragged in, and with the behaviour of some of their fans yesterday that would be just reward (although if the Foxes board made a public stand on identifying and banning those idiots I might reconsider that last bit).  

8 hours ago, NeymarSmith said:

So what are the three teams people think are going come end of may?

I think you can make a case with Brentford but they do have points on the board already

Everton you would fancy will stay, even if poor form, Frank surely can't make that big a mess can he?

We have to have been considered dead and burried but deano and shakey have gave us a chance, we are prob the form team down there 

Watford. Should be gone but Roy is handy, do we fancy him to pull them out?

Burnley. Games in hand, and dyce knows what he is doing as does the squad, but is this one year too many (much like Wigan 6/7years ago)

Newcastle. Hmm, didn't exactly go for it this window, it wouldn't fill me with confidence if I was a fan. Eddie Howe is a 🃏

Is there a side I'm missing who should be considered as part of the scrap?

Fat Frank has made a mistake I think. Not because of rejecting us, but a coach with as limited experience as himself would be wise to join a club in the summer to have time to know and shape a squad. Pressure to deliver. Toss of a coin, whether Everton survives.

My prediction - Brentford, Burnley, Newcastle. NCFC finish this season 5 points above relegation.

Everton Seem to have this 'they're too big to go down' rhetoric swirling around their name. They have a decent player in Richarlison. January business was underwhelming and defensively they look poor. Frank's bounce might lead to goals but I bet they concede plenty too. They are very much still in the mix.