Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Recommended football book

19 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

But I thought Norwich were the worst football club in Britain? 

How dare you!  Look 40 miles south 😂

The Far Corner by Harry Pearson was a great read, as were both of Garry Nelson's books, namely Left Foot Forward and Left Foot In The Grave.

Ronald Reng wrote a really nice one about the German goalkeeper at Barnsley, Lars Leese, called The Keeper of Dreams. He also wrote one about Robert Enke, but I haven't read that.

• Thanks 1

'Provided you don't kiss me' by Duncan Hamilton about his topsy-turvy relationship with Brian Clough at Forest definitely one of the better football reads.

• Like 1

On the subject of books, does anyone remember a parody sort of tale based on Norwich in the late 80s / early 90s? If so, what was it called?

It was written by someone from Wymondham (I think) and there was a foreward that claimed that the work was fiction and not based on any events (or something along those lines). But if you read it, it was quite clear the author referred to a number of events at NCFC in the Chase era.

Das Reboot by Rafa Honeigstien is an excellent look into how the German national team recovered from the lows of the early 2000's.

Forza Italia by Paddy Agnew was a wonderful read on the culture and evolution of Italian football.

3 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

The Far Corner by Harry Pearson was a great read, as were both of Garry Nelson's books, namely Left Foot Forward and Left Foot In The Grave.

Ronald Reng wrote a really nice one about the German goalkeeper at Barnsley, Lars Leese, called The Keeper of Dreams. He also wrote one about Robert Enke, but I haven't read that.

Robert Enke -A Life To Short.Excellent,although very sad book,about the brilliant keeper and his demons.

3 hours ago, Don’t be Krul said:

On the subject of books, does anyone remember a parody sort of tale based on Norwich in the late 80s / early 90s? If so, what was it called?

It was written by someone from Wymondham (I think) and there was a foreward that claimed that the work was fiction and not based on any events (or something along those lines). But if you read it, it was quite clear the author referred to a number of events at NCFC in the Chase era.

I've got that on my bookshelf. Watching Scottish people trying to kill each other on tv so not going upstairs to find out what it's called 🙄

Edited by dylanisabaddog

4 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

The Nelson books were excellent. I have The Far Corner waiting to read. The best sports book I have read is Seabiscuit about the American racehorse. I don't like racing but thought it was excellent. 

This I think is the best one about football 

Screenshot_20220202-200405_Chrome.thumb.jpg.15c5bb05e556b9deed6c508ac437b3e8.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

The Nelson books were excellent. I have The Far Corner waiting to read. The best sports book I have read is Seabiscuit about the American racehorse. I don't like racing but thought it was excellent. 

This I think is the best one about football 

Screenshot_20220202-200405_Chrome.thumb.jpg.15c5bb05e556b9deed6c508ac437b3e8.jpg

Mate, The Far Corner may be the funniest thing I've read on football. The observations in there are first-class.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I've got that on my bookshelf. Watching Scottish people trying to kill each other on tv so not going upstairs to find out what it's called 🙄

If the sweaties have now stopped massacring each other pray tell what it is called? I had the book ages ago and would like to read it again

I also have a book, a published scrap book of 84/5 Milk Cup run and 85/6 Div 2 winning season by a local artist called John Watson who was our "Prudential Man" back in the day. From what I recall there weren't too many of these published. Does anyone else have one?

1 hour ago, Don’t be Krul said:

I also have a book, a published scrap book of 84/5 Milk Cup run and 85/6 Div 2 winning season by a local artist called John Watson who was our "Prudential Man" back in the day. From what I recall there weren't too many of these published. Does anyone else have one?

I've got that as well. And for some strange reason I have 2 copies of On The Ball City. 

10 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I've got that as well. And for some strange reason I have 2 copies of On The Ball City. 

Any idea of the worth of the scrap book? I thought that there were only around 10 ever published

Behind The Curtain, by Jonathan Wilson and Thirty One-Nil, by James Montague, are also very intriguing reads.