Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

The first Cantwell interview..

Considering its a Bournemouth interview, quite a lot of Norwich chat in there. Pretty funny that he asked his Nan for permission to go, I guess she is a Norwich fan!

Thats because his Grandfather Passed away Recently.. Thats why he missed alot of Training as he was seeing his Grandfather poor fella has been through alot so this move is good for him a change of scenery.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I prefer not to speak. If I speak I am in big trouble.

Well CC everything seems rosy in the garden. What the f**k went wrong.

Very easy to have generated some level of ill feeling towards him after everything that has happened with him this season, but hearing him speak he always does come across as fairly switched on and quite well grounded (okay maybe not so much on social media). All the more of shame things couldn't work out at Norwich, he really could've been worshipped after Buendia left, instead he is going to leave without any fanfare and with the door slammed firmly behind him...

The 'I wanted out' comment did sting a bit though, does anyone anticipate any route for him back into the Norwich team. Seems like there is absolutely no chance of that happening. Best case scenario would still be for him to sort himself out and come back into the first team.

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler

13 minutes ago, Satriales said:

Considering its a Bournemouth interview, quite a lot of Norwich chat in there. Pretty funny that he asked his Nan for permission to go, I guess she is a Norwich fan!

Even his Nan had enough of him here and demanded he leave. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Very easy to have generated some level of ill feeling towards him after everything that has happened with him this season, but hearing him speak he always does come across as fairly switched on and quite well grounded (okay maybe not so much on social media). All the more of shame things couldn't work out at Norwich, he really could've been worshipped after Buendia left, instead he is going to leave without any fanfare and with the door slammed firmly behind him...

The 'I wanted out' comment did sting a bit though, does anyone anticipate any route for him back into the Norwich team. Seems like there is absolutely no chance of that happening. Best case scenario would still be for him to sort himself out and come back into the first team.

He had a way back into the Norwich first team when Dean Smith came in and did nothing but publicly supported him and talked about how amazing he is how he's a great player and a good kid  and put him straight back into the team and yet Cantwell was still able to blow it.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

It is a huge shame how this has all played out. 

I think Todd hopefully will have learned some lessons and use this experience to grow and move forward.

Equally I'd hope the club is also looking back and considering whether there is anything for us to learn and what we may need to do differently to support players so another 'one of our own' doesn't end up feeling desperate to get out. 

3 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

He had a way back into the Norwich first team when Dean Smith came in and did nothing but publicly supported him and talked about how amazing he is how he's a great player and a good kid  and put him straight back into the team and yet Cantwell was still able to blow it.

Oh yes, no doubt the situation is mostly his fault, I wonder if there was an underlying resentment of Webber after his 'sitting on the pitch' comments post 19/20 relegation which ultimately spread to his desire for the pitch / training ground. 

Whatever it was, its sad he couldn't put it aside for his own career, nor for his reputation at his local club and its fanbase. 

It seems clear from that interview what a sensitive lad he is, talking about his family in the way he does. Nothing wrong with that, but it does seem things went sour on several fronts and it has looked poor from the outside.

Contract difficulties and implied conflict with Webber, issues with the agent maybe not doing the best for him, transfer hype, problems with Farke with the style of football changing this season, family considerations, adverse reaction to him by abusers, a lot of genuine criticism too.  At 23/24 you could expect that he might have been a bit more mature in his approach to the footballing side of things, but it is what it is.

All in all it has led to him going to Bn'****.  It's a good thing imo, for him and for us as a club. He can focus on a new challenge without so much baggage, we can move on from having "one of us" in the team -which I've always thought was a bit overplayed - after all, the bottom line is that he is a professional footballer being paid a lot of money and all the responsibility that goes with that.

• Like 1

Ah so Cantwell can talk properly not in a stupid mock Jafraican accent. 

He needs to shave that bumfluff off of his chin as well, what is he 17?!

Edited by Nexus_Canary

1 hour ago, Leedsy83 said:

Thats because his Grandfather Passed away Recently.. Thats why he missed alot of Training as he was seeing his Grandfather poor fella has been through alot so this move is good for him a change of scenery.. 

Do we know this for a fact ? 

lots of things have been speculated about, including this.  

Good luck to him.  He had some magic moments here, and for whatever reasons things haven't quite worked out this season for him.  There'll be different perspectives on that, but football is no different from any other walk of life, it just means a parting of the ways - no reason it can't be amicable.

17 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Do we know this for a fact ? 

lots of things have been speculated about, including this.  

Dont forget Cantwell himself saying that mental health had nothing to do with whatever was going on on one of his social media posts

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Dont forget Cantwell himself saying that mental health had nothing to do with whatever was going on on one of his social media posts

I havent !

• Haha 1

If we sell a player then so be it when they talk of the future. But this seems unreal. He is only on loan to a club we were ridiculing for a while. Its quite upsetting to watch that. I really hoped he was going to be the best of the lot.

2 hours ago, Leedsy83 said:

I fully respect such family matters and the fact that he appears to have been close to his grandfather but leaving his recently widowed grandmother to up sticks and move over 200 miles away for a fresh start and the fact he states that he could not wait to get out of the club or words to that effect suggests that there was far more at play.

How about a statement from Todd or the club saying that he was dealing with a family bereavement and asking that his privacy be respected would have stopped speculation in it's tracks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

It seems clear from that interview what a sensitive lad he is, talking about his family in the way he does. Nothing wrong with that, but it does seem things went sour on several fronts and it has looked poor from the outside.

Contract difficulties and implied conflict with Webber, issues with the agent maybe not doing the best for him, transfer hype, problems with Farke with the style of football changing this season, family considerations, adverse reaction to him by abusers, a lot of genuine criticism too.  At 23/24 you could expect that he might have been a bit more mature in his approach to the footballing side of things, but it is what it is.

All in all it has led to him going to Bn'****.  It's a good thing imo, for him and for us as a club. He can focus on a new challenge without so much baggage, we can move on from having "one of us" in the team -which I've always thought was a bit overplayed - after all, the bottom line is that he is a professional footballer being paid a lot of money and all the responsibility that goes with that.

This post excellently surmises the situation to a T.

4 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

I fully respect such family matters and the fact that he appears to have been close to his grandfather but leaving his recently widowed grandmother to up sticks and move over 200 miles away for a fresh start and the fact he states that he could not wait to get out of the club or words to that effect suggests that there was far more at play.

How about a statement from Todd or the club saying that he was dealing with a family bereavement and asking that his privacy be respected would have stopped speculation in it's tracks.

That's a bit unfair, he said he wanted "to get out and get playing".

The Pinkun seems to have been a bit creative with what Todd said in the interview.

Cantwell hopes to kickstart his career with Scott Parker’s side and help them get back in the Premier League. 

“It’s something I wanted to get done. I wanted to get out and as soon as I knew it was a possibility it was a pretty easy option for me,” he told the Bournemouth website. 

“The manager (Parker) said everything that made me think this is definitely the right move for me. I like the direction the club is moving in and we both want success.” 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Europe_93 said:

Good luck to him.  He had some magic moments here, and for whatever reasons things haven't quite worked out this season for him.  There'll be different perspectives on that, but football is no different from any other walk of life, it just means a parting of the ways - no reason it can't be amicable.

Agreed. But there seems to be a huge assumption that Bournemouth will be promoted. That really isn't a given and if Todd is as bad as some on here make out then he isn't going to help matters either.

If Bournemouth fail to get promotion they won't be buying Todd Cantwell, they'll be having a fire sale.

I hope they stay down. Slimey little club.

2 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

I can confirm that this is 100% correct........

fair enough if that is the case, sympathy to him and his family too if that is the case, 

We all deal with issues differently, but not sure ive seen many people stop work for such a long period and then change employers over such a matter, whilst being very active on social media. 

I had a battle with my employer at the time when one of grand-parents passed, as it 'wasnt a close enough relative to warrant a day off for the funeral' I still went, but returned to work thereafter. 

As said on here many times I'm not the biggest fan of Todd as a player. I honestly believe he's a good championship player but is not top level. Despite a lot of the usual media trained answers I think he came across quite well. On a club level it's a shame what ever has gone wrong this season has cost us a good fee. On a personal level it was best for all he moved on. Let's hope he has a great half a season but Bournemouth miss out in the playoffs. Then we might be able to get a better price for him with his rebuilt and enhanced reputation.

4 hours ago, king canary said:

It is a huge shame how this has all played out. 

I think Todd hopefully will have learned some lessons and use this experience to grow and move forward.

Equally I'd hope the club is also looking back and considering whether there is anything for us to learn and what we may need to do differently to support players so another 'one of our own' doesn't end up feeling desperate to get out. 

Yep, the club have failed as much as Todd here. Maybe it all started with that Webber comment after relegation, maybe it started with the Farke fallout but there's no way things should have played out the way they did.

Todd speaks really well in the interview, as he typically does. Some on here were desperate to stamp on him even when he was flying with us so I dread to think the sort of abuse he got online from some of 'our own' . 

Bournemouth looks a decent fit for him to try and find his form back but it's a desperate shame it appears one of our more talented players, who's come through the academy, won't be playing for us again - and this time not for a career step-up.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

That's because a lot of folks don't think of bereavement as "mental health". That's not to say it isn't, but the grieving process isn't often considered it by a lot of folks I have worked with. Some folks are diagnosed with depression as a result of loss, but it's also possible for people to just be grieving too.

Edited by chicken

10 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Yep, the club have failed as much as Todd here. Maybe it all started with that Webber comment after relegation, maybe it started with the Farke fallout but there's no way things should have played out the way they did.

Todd speaks really well in the interview, as he typically does. Some on here were desperate to stamp on him even when he was flying with us so I dread to think the sort of abuse he got online from some of 'our own' . 

Bournemouth looks a decent fit for him to try and find his form back but it's a desperate shame it appears one of our more talented players, who's come through the academy, won't be playing for us again - and this time not for a career step-up.

Hoggy.

I agree 💯% with you on this. Fault from both sides maybe?. But for sure it's been a huge internal mismanagement and very embarrassing for the club. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

I can confirm that this is 100% correct........

Mick Dennis has often said on twitter that it is a "personal family issue". So it certainly marries up there.