Sign in to follow this  
East Rider

The next 6 games

Looking at the next 6 PL games for us (Crystal P, Man City and Brentford at home, Liverpool, Saints and Leeds away) it gives us a great chance to build on the momentum we have certainly begun and really set our stall out.

However, I think it is a must for 3 points next Wednesday then at least two competitive games against the top two before we look at lower table teams again

Other than the top two the rest are within 9 points and 5 places of us at this moment so, these 6 games are pivotal for us and a great run could swing it in our favour. I feel this next group of 6 games will determine our chances of survival. After these there are 9 left

Points total?     I'm hoping for minimum of 9, but would take 6 (leaving us at 22-25 points)

This competition is not lost yet

This really is the crunch point. Our awful first half of the season gives us little room for error. I can't imagine us managing to stay above Newcastle after all their spending so we absolutely have to drag one of those other teams into the mix.

If we don't win at least two of these six then we'll be pretty much relegated already. I still think it's a massive ask which is likely beyond us. 

4 is not enough. We have to beat palace for a start as we will lose the next 2. We then ideally need to beat Brentford and one of Leeds/saints. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I would like to think we could get 7 points but I guess 4 would be ok. Any less and we are down

I think a total of 4 points only in the next six games will seal our fate, 6 is an absolute minimum. This is the moment for us and four of those games are ones we can take points from. 

It's now or never for me

12 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I would like to think we could get 7 points but I guess 4 would be ok. Any less and we are down

4 points?

Nowhere near enough. Accepting we will get nothing out of the big 2 we need 7 to 9. We can't afford to lose against Leeds or Brentford either.

37 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

4 is not enough. We have to beat palace for a start as we will lose the next 2. We then ideally need to beat Brentford and one of Leeds/saints. 

Who says we will lose the next two?  Some fortune teller?  I'll never understand this attitude going into matches. Last three times Man City visited us in the league we got points off them. 3-2, 0-0, 0-0.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Petriix said:

This really is the crunch point. Our awful first half of the season gives us little room for error. I can't imagine us managing to stay above Newcastle after all their spending so we absolutely have to drag one of those other teams into the mix.

How much did Wood cost? Is he better than Wilson? Maybe less injured...

Proof is in the pudding with Newcastle. Solid but unspectacular signings. Need to hit their rhythm consistently and from the off. I don't think they'll be sprinting away from the bottom as fast as you suggest.

In the next six games they have Everton(H), Villa(H), West Ham(A), Brentford(A), Brighton(H), Chelsea(A). Undoubtedly an easier looking run than us, however, perhaps that's not great. Unless those players settle quick, it could burn up games in which points would be seen as a realistic achievement. Quite crunchy games too, must wins Vs Everton and Brentford. 

9 minutes ago, chicken said:

How much did Wood cost? Is he better than Wilson? Maybe less injured...

Proof is in the pudding with Newcastle. Solid but unspectacular signings. Need to hit their rhythm consistently and from the off. I don't think they'll be sprinting away from the bottom as fast as you suggest.

In the next six games they have Everton(H), Villa(H), West Ham(A), Brentford(A), Brighton(H), Chelsea(A). Undoubtedly an easier looking run than us, however, perhaps that's not great. Unless those players settle quick, it could burn up games in which points would be seen as a realistic achievement. Quite crunchy games too, must wins Vs Everton and Brentford. 

Wood vs Wilson

wood.png

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

Wood vs Wilson

wood.png

So you think Wood is an improvement and will start ahead of a fit Wilson? 

Probably.

If that's the case, I don't think we have a lot to worry about in all honesty. Replacing one 1 in 3 with another 1 in 3 striker... 

Beat Palace and Brentford, siege mentality. Bonus-free-hit territory against Liverpool and City, one point from the other two games.

I've attached my predictor from the games from here. Now, I'm not going to say the squad knew Brentfords finishing tally at the time of our rearranged fixture with Leicester, but...

IMG-20220202-WA0003.jpg

6 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

Beat Palace and Brentford, siege mentality. Bonus-free-hit territory against Liverpool and City, one point from the other two games.

I've attached my predictor from the games from here. Now, I'm not going to say the squad knew Brentfords finishing tally at the time of our rearranged fixture with Leicester, but...

IMG-20220202-WA0003.jpg

Brentford getting relegated and us getting 6 points from them?

i-would-love-it-if-we-beat-them-kevin-ke

Brentford getting relegated and us getting 6 points from them?

i-would-love-it-if-we-beat-them-kevin-ke

Feels to me like we're 'that team' for Brentford at the moment, like Fulham for us. We always seem to niggle a result off of them whatever the weather.

We need a massive atmosphere vs Palace. Win that and it's game on. Lose and it's very unlikely we can stay up.

• Like 1

I suspect a point a game average is pretty much the benchmark to give us a chance, but probably not enough to be certain (because of GD). So 6 will keep us in the mix, anything more will mean we host Chelsea outside the relegation zone, anything less and we will be bottom three.

9 hours ago, chicken said:

If that's the case, I don't think we have a lot to worry about in all honesty. Replacing one 1 in 3 with another 1 in 3 striker... 

Having two '1 in 3 strikers' is a massive advantage over having just one. They might even play both of them at the same time on occasion.

8 minutes ago, Petriix said:

Having two '1 in 3 strikers' is a massive advantage over having just one. They might even play both of them at the same time on occasion.

Yep it’s not like Wilson has been replaced. He will probably stay as no.1 when fit but considering he is injured half the time they now have a very competent alternative.

• Like 1

It will all depend on how well other do with points as well. 

also when do Burnley have to play all there games in hand by?

We’ve got momentum . That’s seriously important. I believe we can beat Palace , if we do then momentum is bloody massive . You can’t put a price on that . Possibly even enough to nick a point v Liverpool or Man.City or at least come through with belief intact . Then go undefeated against Southampton , Brentford and Leeds . At least one win , maybe two. Why not three ? 
Few games ago we were written off . Football is bloody nuts . Let’s just be brave , fans and players , and let the other ****s worry about us . The pressure is all on them as far as I’m concerned.

OTBC . 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Petriix said:

I'm just not convinced at this point, that Wood is better than Wilson. Great that they have two. I don't think Burnley have found better either though.

I think it actually goes to show that even with money, Newcastle either haven't wanted to, or haven't been able to attract a better calibre of player. Wood, Burn and Trippier do have experience though, and that may well be what counts in the end.

I think the fixtures up until the middle of March will be key, as all of the bottom four have winnable games. 

Norwich: Palace (h), Man C (h), Liverpool (a), Southampton (a), Brentford (h), Leeds (a), Chelsea (h)

Newcastle: Everton (h), Villa (h), West Ham (a), Brentford (a), Brighton (h), Chelsea (a), Palace (h)

Watford: Burnley (a), West Ham (a), Brighton (h), Villa (a), Man Utd (a), Arsenal (h), Southampton (a), Everton (h)

Burnley: Watford (h), Man Utd (h), Liverpool (h), Brighton (a), Palace (a), Chelsea (h), Brentford (a), Southampton (h)

Points to note:

- Hoping for a draw between Burnley and Watford, which is on Sunday.

- Norwich's squad have become more resolute under Dean Smith, and have key players coming back from injury. I'll be interested to see how we approach the Man City and Liverpool games. 

- Newcastle have just spent heavily but need them all to gel quickly. They play four out of their five 'green' fixtures at home.

- Watford have Woy, which worries me a bit. They only play Brighton and Frank Lampard's Everton at home, which isn't ideal.

- Burnley play 5/8 games at home, however they're against Watford, Utd, Liv, Chelsea and Saints.... They need their new troll to hit the ground running.

- Norwich, Watford and Burnley all play Brentford. It would be great if all three could at least draw - dragging them into the dogfight.

12 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

IMG-20220202-WA0003.jpg

you an Arsenal fan eh?

It was said the break came at the wrong time for us, but I disagree. Pukki looked devoid of any energy, presumably from his COVID bout, the extra time will have helped him recover, and Normann is close to being available again.Add some extra rest for Rashica, Sargent’s nipper learning to sleep at night, and eliminating the Cantwell distraction and things are looking up.

33 minutes ago, Surfer said:

It was said the break came at the wrong time for us, but I disagree. Pukki looked devoid of any energy, presumably from his COVID bout, the extra time will have helped him recover, and Normann is close to being available again.Add some extra rest for Rashica, Sargent’s nipper learning to sleep at night, and eliminating the Cantwell distraction and things are looking up.

Yep, I agree with most of that, especially when we only had two central midfielders fit.

The only thing that they might say is that playing Palace before the break would enable them to keep the momentum going. They would also then have three weeks to focus on Man City and Liverpool.

We never beat Palace - Liverpool tend to smash us. Man City ought to do the same. Then there are the other games..

Amazing what two wins can do for optimism but I fear we were down some time ago. sargent unlikely to carry on scoring - 

10 hours ago, chicken said:

I think it actually goes to show that even with money, Newcastle either haven't wanted to, or haven't been able to attract a better calibre of player. 

Haven't been able to attract a better calibre of player, really? 

There's no way a Mike Ashley Newcastle would sign in the way they have done. In what world would Trippier have left the La Liga champions to Newcastle under Mike Ashley at the bottom of the prem...? And there's no chance the likes of Dan Burn and Matt Targett would be joining from objectively better premier league positions to Newcastle in their current plight if it wasn't for massive financial incentive. I honestly can't say I could see Wood upping and leaving Burnley for Newcastle under Ashley either, would be the side step to beat all side steps!

They've also signed a Brazilian international too in Guimaraes you appear to be completely ignoring in your posts, I didn't know much about him personally as they signed him from the French league but all I've read / watched about their business suggests he's by far their biggest coup. 4 caps for Brazil at 24 is not to be sniffed at..

So of course they're attracting a better calibre of player, its not even close. Its just a question of whether they can all hit the ground running and gel as a team, they don't have time to chop and change different things - its certainly not a foregone conclusions.