cambridgeshire canary

Are you ok with the fact that we signed no one?

Are you ok with the fact that we signed no one?  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Are you ok with the fact that we signed no one?

• Yes
    • No

I suppose it depends what you mean by 'OK'. I'm disappointed that we didn't bring in a defensive midfielder and/or an attacking player, but I'm not exactly furious either. 

Personally, I would've liked to see us get a guaranteed fee for Cantwell (either a permanent deal or loan with obligation) and then use that money for a defensive midfielder, and then let go of Gilmour and bring in an attacker on loan from a Premier League club.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man
  • Like 1

Apparently the sum total incomings of all PL sides this window was just thirty players. Not quite all of them to Newcastle evenso.

Their total outgings amounted to a quite staggering 110, most of them being loans. City have had nine out (?)

The lower leagues are awash with players, mostly on the young side. 

Edited by BroadstairsR

It's difficult but I think on balance I'm slightly unhappy. Whilst not every club in the Division have bought players, those that needed to probably have. If anything we are weaker now with the loss of Cantwell too, I was hoping he would come good for us for the end of the season.

Can't help thinking we could have been a bit more creative with loans really and I'm just hoping we aren't drawn into contractual obligations to play Gilmour and mess up our midfield again. 

The damage was done in the summer allied to our **** poor start under Farke. It's whether we could and should have used the January window to right those wrongs.

I don't want us to go down having regrets  but I think we might.

This is hard one.

In a way I was hoping that we could get one incoming that would surprise as all and give us clear boost. However, with our experience on earlier windows and how hard it has been to get those players up to speed with us, I think that it would have been quite a gamble. Or it should have been someone who would've improved us with when performing in 80% of his top level. Of those that moved in this window, Christian Eriksen would've likely been one such. Getting player whose 80% performance level is enough to improve us and who would not cost totally silly sum just feels like something that is near to impossible deal to get done during January window. 

Therefore, I feel that in the long term it was most reasonable thing to not to try to invest into such a gamble.

Of course loans are bit different beast, but mostly available loan players are really expensive to get during January or massive gamble as they are likely available only due to having failed in their earlier loan stint and being called back due to that.

• Like 1

No, I'm not and nobody else should be okay with it either!

You can't tell me that we couldn't have pooled together £2-3 million somehow to get in a young, promising L1 or L2 player who might come good? One CM + one attacking player, both athletic and with physicality, would have made a big difference. Sign one and then loan one in. Should not have been hard!?

• Like 1

Daft thing for me, Aaron Ramsey to Rangers, he’d been exactly what’s needed here, a real premiership quality player! Still not to be.

An apology.* I said we would bring in a player during this transfer window. We did not. I was wrong. In my slight defence I was assuming we would get in a striker. But then Idah and Sargent started scoring goals. Not the most easily foreseen of events but I still should have factored in this possibility, however remote.

*This word may be as unfamiliar to some posters as it is to the prime minister of the UK. It means a public expression of contrition for an error.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Indy said:

Daft thing for me, Aaron Ramsey to Rangers, he’d been exactly what’s needed here, a real premiership quality player! Still not to be.

I'd have terminated both the Gilmour and Kabak loans to make room for Ramsey... 

• Like 1

The thread on squad value adds an interesting angle. Proves that dispassionately we are declining not progressing which suggests an inability or refusal to strengthen this window is short sighted even if necessary in terms of making a go of staying up. Pretty clear board are going to just see how it pans out and cross their fingers 

No I'm not happy. I think it's appalling planning by the Board and SW not to have budgeted for Jan window, and to gamble everything on summer signings.

Lets remember that not two game sago we were on a six game defeat run and looking in dire straits. Those two wins appear to have lifted a huge weight, but we cannot guarantee we'll continue with upturn in performances

Nor can we guarantee on Idah &Sargent getting more goals, just because they've finally got on the scoresheet

And up top end of the pitch, with us playing Rashica, Sargent, Idah & Pukki (although expect 1 to be dropped to allow Normann back) we're perilously close to danger with any kind of injuries. if one or more of those gets injured, we're again in big trouble. 

Placheta, Dowell, Tzolis have looked well off the pace and give us very little strength in depth. Rowe is a teenage gamble.

It's back to Doncasters prudence with ambition, just lacing any ambition

8 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Honestly curious to see and feel the general attitude. Yes, we broke our transfer record twice the last window. But could we have at least showed some classic 'Hambitionn'  and at least tried to strengthen us given we are now out of the relegation zone rather than just sending players we might need as backup out.. Nevermind how many of the teams around us in the table have gone and spent big this window. I do get the feeling there's a lot of anger across social media right now in regards to this window..  

I would have liked to see a couple of players in. We are in a relegation fight and I think it would have shown ambition to bring in some new faces to freshen things up. If we do get relegated the knives will be out for poor spending in the summer and failing to put that right in January. Relying on our current squad alone is a big gamble because we haven't impressed so far apart from 3-4 games.

We really need Sargent, Lees Melou, Idah and Williams to carry on the good form of late

7 hours ago, Move Klose said:

a new creative, wide, forward etc player would've helped. I'm not saying go spend £20m, but we still had a overseas loan space we could've used.

Realistic suggestions for players in that bracket who would have come to Norwich for 4 months?

48 minutes ago, Indy said:

He was on £400,000 a week at Juventus. Even if they paid half his salary that would have cost us £5m. And why would he come to Norwich? Same with Eriksen. Why would he come to Norwich? I think some posters on here need some realism.

3 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

That’s what scouts are paid to do, 

Oh right, is that what scouts do, I had no idea. In that case could they find us a new team of £20m players in every position who will come and play for £15k a week. We'd have a chance then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree we need realism. I also agree the entire problem is our ownership has outstayed its welcome and we are therefore unable to fund premiership players for a premiership season. I don’t agree those who say we needed to bring someone in should necessarily know who 

• Like 1

I'm somewhat frustrated that we didn't mitigate for future signings this window at the beginning of the season. Having spent all available cash during the summer on, what, 11 new players, we left nothing in reserve for this window, when it would be quite possible that certain positions would require additional help. We basically hoped that all the summer signings would come good, and we wouldn't need to do any business in this window. Naive at best, I think it's safe to say that there would be a few failures, it happens all the time. 

I'm not going to go into specifics of where reinforcement is needed, that's a judgmental thing and people have their own opinions, but I do think we should have held some funds back for this window to bolster the squad. I feel a couple of signings in the summer could have been held back, and the funds used for additions in this window. I just feel there was a lack of forward-thinking in this regard, and we are now left with the consequences.

49 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

He was on £400,000 a week at Juventus. Even if they paid half his salary that would have cost us £5m. And why would he come to Norwich? Same with Eriksen. Why would he come to Norwich? I think some posters on here need some realism.

I think they're paying around 30% of his wages, so what about £3 mil for half a season? 

But you're right. Why on earth would he or Eriksen come to Norwich? No way could we expect to sign these kinds of player when they are signing for prestigious clubs as big as Brentford, or Rangers playing the same team every other week in the Scottish Premier League. This should be a realism check for everyone. 

Its funny, you are clearly sticking up for the club, but don't seem too realise how much you are indirectly insulting it at the same time. If Brentford and Rangers are capable of making such short-term deals, then there is absolutely no reason why we can't - if we wanted to. But I think that is what the point is, its not that we can't possibly do it, but that we simply don't wish to. We are so risk averse. 

Presumably we are expecting much more from Gilmour and Kabak for the rest of the season, which would justify our lack of action, I certainly will be looking out for some improvements from them to come!

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler
  • Like 1

NO- WE ARE NOW DOOMED TO Championship, Hope there is to be a sale in comparison with the Next shop clear out sale , lets  start again from scratch, letting some of the fringe young players play in alongside some of the reliable experience players . 

Edited by baldy09
add

1 hour ago, Indy said:

I was shocked at that one but Ramsey gets to play for 4 months and then collect a couple more winners medals, and gets 2 x games against Dortmund in Europe in the process.

Can we still sign free agents? Jack Wilshere available! 

21 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

But you're right. Why on earth would he or Eriksen come to Norwich? No way could we expect to sign these kinds of player when they are signing for prestigious clubs as big as Brentford

If you can't work out why Eriksen would choose Brentford then none of your posts are ever worth reading again,

1 hour ago, sgncfc said:

Yes indeed, dose of realism, in that four months we’ll get five million alone in additional TV rights not to mention 40 odd million for being in the premiership! But you’re correct we can’t be seen as a premiership club! We’re little old Norwich!

I was making the point Ramsey going to a club in Scotland over any premiership club is an eye opener!

I am not really that sure. Yes and no. I think whilst we are still in the battle we maybe should and could have signed someone. However we are likely to get releagted and maybe it's wise to keep an attentive eye on the bank balance and next season.  In truth our buisness model doesn't work at the highest level and even if we stay up this season we can't stay up long term. 

1 minute ago, Indy said:

Yes indeed, dose of realism, in that four months we’ll get five million alone in additional TV rights not to mention 40 odd million for being in the premiership! But you’re correct we can’t be seen as a premiership club! We’re little old Norwich!

I was making the point Ramsey going to a club in Scotland over any premiership club is an eye opener!

Didn’t he turn down 3/4 premiership teams? He hasn’t played a lot of football, I think he knows he’s not up to the pace. Much easier to bang in a couple against Kilmarnock without having your credentials questioned.

2 minutes ago, hertfordyellow said:

Didn’t he turn down 3/4 premiership teams? He hasn’t played a lot of football, I think he knows he’s not up to the pace. Much easier to bang in a couple against Kilmarnock without having your credentials questioned.

Exactly, but he’d be the type of player who’d possibly make that small difference in tight games….but he chose Scotland!

Cat amongst the pigeons, but if you applied pressure on the club to negate on the BK8 contract and also questioning why we didn’t have funds this window…. You have your answer. There were always consequences involved.

2 minutes ago, Indy said:

Exactly, but he’d be the type of player who’d possibly make that small difference in tight games….but he chose Scotland!

That kind of signing does add a buzz to training etc but I’d worry he isn’t the player we remember after some lean years and some hefty injuries in his early years.

Just now, hertfordyellow said:

Cat amongst the pigeons, but if you applied pressure on the club to negate on the BK8 contract and also questioning why we didn’t have funds this window…. You have your answer. There were always consequences involved.

I don’t think three million is really a big loss considering this season is worth around 150 million with all the parachute payments! It’s concerning that we didn’t feel like we wanted to take any risk on players given we’re in 17th and a chance of staying up! But that’s up to the club! Nothing we can do but hope we have enough in our squad!

17 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

If you can't work out why Eriksen would choose Brentford then none of your posts are ever worth reading again,

Yes I know the Denmark connection, that’s fine…  but I don’t understand why these kinds of players have to be such a pipe dream for Norwich fans when teams of arguably a similar size are doing just that!