TheBaldOne66

All the Cantwell haters

12 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

If he wasnt able to perform to a level be it either in training or in games that warranted a place in a 20 man matchday sqauad ahead of the likes of Tzolis,Placheta ,Dowell or even Jonathan Rowe, in a struggling side then that is alarming.

It may as you say be as simple as him not being as good as his early promise had indicated.

But we werent asking him to be good enough for Liverpool...we were asking him to be better than Dowell etc and roll up his sleeves and help out his team and team mates when they needed him

I thought to look unfit in Dean Smith's first game, 3 or 4 weeks after he was put in the U23's by Farke to get match fit, was the moment alarm bells really sounded for me. 

I hope he gives a good account of himself at Bournemouth though, just so we can get some sort of fee for him in the summer even if its just a couple of million. 

Because he comes from just up the road, he can do no wrong as far as many are concerned. The "one of our own" syndrome.  If he were an imported player, he would have been "a waste of space" according to almost all on this board with his antics over the past two years.

Putting everything aside, it’s a real shame that it has come to an end like this. When Emi left, Todd had an opportunity to step up to the plate and be the “main man” this season. For whatever reason, that never materialised. He’s now dropped a division and, while there is every possibility that we may trade places, it’s a gamble. If that does transpire, he’ll get the same opportunity he has just had here but a year later in his career. Whatever happens, he had a chance to build a legacy of gratitude and goodwill that now seems to be permanently soured. His contribution to two championship winning seasons and those premier league goals can never be taken away, yet it still feels like what should have been a farewell laced with pride for what he achieved here is now tarnished.

He’s undoubtedly a talented footballer though, maybe it’s just best for everyone that  this ongoing saga is finally - possibly - at its end. 

Edited by Duncan Edwards
  • Like 8

I think this from Duncan summarises the situation vey well. I remember defending Todd C before a home game in his breakthrough season. He's lightweight, loses the ball & similar. The lad played a blinder and he performed at the same level many times in that season. IMHO he often looked more suited to the  Prem than EFL where refs would allow him to be physically dominated. I wish him well in his future career as I hate to see talent of any sort go to waste.

And we got f*** all for him other than he is off the wage bill to some extent! Great for a self funding modelled club!

6 hours ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

You happy now? 

Yes.

Could you please also convey my happiness to his imaginary family member via your imaginary family member.

Please and thank you.

• Haha 1

Not really sure how anyone can be happy with the way the last year has turned out, and the total waste of one of our bright young talents, and all because seemingly the lad has a very poor attitude 🤷‍♂️, and I say that as someone who has always defended him on here. 

The whole saga is a sorry state. 

• Like 1

No hate here but he had to go and I’m glad he’s gone. He’s obviously talented but you need more than that. Never struck me as a team player and in our situation you need everyone pulling in the same direction. Hope he does well at Bournemouth so we can potentially get a good fee. Got a feeling this is the beginning of the end of his career though. 

Edited by vlad666

4 hours ago, Bali Canary said:

Because he comes from just up the road, he can do no wrong as far as many are concerned. The "one of our own" syndrome.  If he were an imported player, he would have been "a waste of space" according to almost all on this board with his antics over the past two years.

On the contrary I feel. Because he’s a local lad he’s had to endure more abuse than your average player. Being away from local idiots that will him to fail may just be the best thing that happens to him. Good luck Todd

• Like 4

6 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

I suppose we wil now be subjected to numerous Cantwell threads every time he turns out for Bournemouth.

As for me i will have more interest watching paint dry or spiders crawling up a wall.

You could always combine the two to spice things up a bit. 

Bigger question is, why do so many talented young player self destruct themselves!

In Cantwell’s case where has it all gone wrong.

Too much to young. Ego , thinking he was better than he was?  Doing his best in running down his contract, hoping for a bigger pay day with a new club?
Who knows?

But the overriding factor for me is than two managers decided he was not worth the agro, and did not play him, that shows he was the problem.

Speaking personally I will not miss his dyed blond hair coupled with his Jack Gealish Alice band one bit.

44 minutes ago, Bradwell canary said:

Bigger question is, why do so many talented young player self destruct themselves!

In Cantwell’s case where has it all gone wrong.

Too much to young. Ego , thinking he was better than he was?  Doing his best in running down his contract, hoping for a bigger pay day with a new club?
Who knows?

But the overriding factor for me is than two managers decided he was not worth the agro, and did not play him, that shows he was the problem.

Speaking personally I will not miss his dyed blond hair coupled with his Jack Gealish Alice band one bit.

You give a 20 year old a ton of cash, adoration from fans and lots of imaginary internet points and it’ll go one way or the other. See Max Aarons for the correct work ethic, guy will go much further than Todd cantwell in his career as a result.

• Like 1

Happy he's gone, to end the circus it became. Disappointed, because at one point it looked like he would be another star for us.

As I've said before, there's scores of young players that cite Farke & City as great for their development. Suddenly where Todd is involved, DF just developed an irrational hatred for him and the club became a prison? Colour me skeptical

15 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

He's gone now, so can't we just stop arguing about him?

Problem is he’s not! He’s on a loan with opinion! If he’s not played in 6 months and his last showing for us was really bad, there’s no guarantee he’ll get a regular place and could well be back this summer when this ****e could start again!

I don't think anyone is 'happy' with the situation but for two top managers to decide he wasn't up to a place in the matchday squad, let alone the first team, should ring alarm bells in his ears.

He won't walk into the side at Bournemouth either.

3 minutes ago, Indy said:

Problem is he’s not! He’s on a loan with opinion! If he’s not played in 6 months and his last showing for us was really bad, there’s no guarantee he’ll get a regular place and could well be back this summer when this ****e could start again!

If he stinks the place out down there you can see a termination of contract by mutual consent. Stating the obvious but Norwich don’t want him back creating again. 

8 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

I suppose we wil now be subjected to numerous Cantwell threads every time he turns out for Bournemouth.

As for me i will have more interest watching paint dry or spiders crawling up a wall.

Don’t read them then!!

6 hours ago, Bali Canary said:

Do you read this board at all. This is the exact opposite of what has actually happened over the last 2 years.

Not a hater. Actually really liked him and certain flair he has brought to team.
However, I am also really happy to see him gone for now. It seems like he had become unnecessary disturbance for rest of the team with all this drama nonsense going on. 

I also truly hope that he can get his act together and his loan trip will be wakeup call that gets his mind and career back to right track.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coneys Knee said:

On the contrary I feel. Because he’s a local lad he’s had to endure more abuse than your average player. Being away from local idiots that will him to fail may just be the best thing that happens to him. Good luck Todd

Yes it definitely cuts both ways

I'm sad to see him go. It was great to see a Norfolk boy playing for Norwich in the Premier League, and it's such a shame it hasn't worked out for him here this season, whatever the reason. Hope he can use the loan to get his career back on track.

The point is we will get **** all for him now as Bournemouth will only need to buy 1 years worth of contract.

A kick in the teeth for the project and self funding model as we will have to sell others now.

If he is fit enough to pass a medical at Bournemouth then we can rule out some of the reasons for his failed season. Long COVID, nope, complicated injury, nope. The reasons for sudden withdrawals etc have now been shown to be not physical. 

We await the real reasons but it now doesn’t look favourably on him.

Glad he has gone, not covered himself in glory the way it’s happened, I can’t see a good reception if he plays at Carrow road again.

probably for the best, Bournemouth’s gamble, 2 different managers have questioned his effort in training and is why he has been drop on numerous occasions (which had been mentioned publicly by the managers)

Reminds me of the Dele Alli situation 

2 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

You give a 20 year old a ton of cash, adoration from fans and lots of imaginary internet points and it’ll go one way or the other. See Max Aarons for the correct work ethic, guy will go much further than Todd cantwell in his career as a result.

As it life and work in general it’s all about attitude. max has a good one, clearly Todd an awful one.

See where both are in 12 months time………

Why does it have to be so black and white. Haters is a word that crops up in so many posts.

I doubt anyone hates him. Some give him a tough time for whatever reason. Some of us cut him some slack because we thought there was a £20M footballer in there. Same as we cut Emi some slack with his temper or Teemu some slack when he misses a sitter.

It hasn't happened this season for whatever reason and we don't know the reason. For all we know, he could have been promised a move then the club reneged. Or he just hasn't got the backbone for a fight. Its all conjecture.

We do know he shines in the Championship and he is going to a team at the top with a decent manager. Lets hope he does well, signs a contract with them and makes everyone eat their words.

Wasted his golden chance with us for whatever reason. All stems from Emi going, thought he could do as good in the pocket and on the pitch.

whatever reason he fell out of favour with Daniel or Dean we will never know but if he passed a stiff medical at Bournemouth it definitely wasn't fitness.

Good luck Todd, keep your head down and listen

4 hours ago, Coneys Knee said:

Its funny really I've always been the opposite, because he's Todd from Dereham and not Timo from Dresden I've always cut him more slack and why his behaviour feels more of a kick in the teeth than it would any other player.