Sign in to follow this  

Couldnt see this posted anywhere.

https://www.pinkun.com/sport/norwich-city/canaries-ncfc-chris-sutton-reunion-8653666

Seems odd. Why wouldnt you take Sutton in that situation? Worthington was sacked on October 1st 2006. Sutton says he offered his services in 2006 meaning either end of 2005/6 season or beginning of 2006/7 season. Doesnt mention a fee. Says wasnt asking for much in wages.

These were our forwards in 2005/6 and 2006/7

1.png

2.png

Can't remember it myself for some reason but why on earth would you not take someone like Chris Sutton when in the championship and at that stage is beyond me.

Would have been superb to see him back in our shirt

Worthy signed Dion Dublin. The worthy outers certainly didn't like it. One of the many sticks was that he was past it and was blocking our own youngsters.

Not sure if Sutton would have done better than Dion. I doubt it TBH.

So Worthy was right?

Chris joined (Premier League) Birmingham, before joining Aston Villa. 

With hindsight, it would have made a good story, at least, for Chris to have returned. As it was with Dion.

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

Worthy signed Dion Dublin. The worthy outers certainly didn't like it. One of the many sticks was that he was past it and was blocking our own youngsters.

Not sure if Sutton would have done better than Dion. I doubt it TBH.

So Worthy was right?

Tbh, Sutton is 4 years younger than Dublin. One might ask why it has to be one or the other, it could have been both?

With Huckerby out wide, I think Sutton would have done well leading the line.

3-4 years doesn't sound like a lot, but Dublin was 36-37 in 2006, Sutton therefore would have been 32-33. Considering Pukki is still going at 31 and Dublin wasn't prolific for us... indeed, he ended up playing CB. I don't regret that signing either. Just pointing out the obvious differences.

Hindsight is brilliant though - wasn't he advised to retire due to an eye condition / injury?

Edited by chicken

16 minutes ago, chicken said:

Tbh, Sutton is 3-4 years younger than Dublin. One might ask why it has to be one or the other, it could have been both?

With Huckerby out wide, I think Sutton would have done well leading the line.

3-4 years doesn't sound like a lot, but Dublin was 36-37 in 2006, Sutton therefore would have been 32-33. Considering Pukki is still going at 31 and Dublin wasn't prolific for us... indeed, he ended up playing CB. I don't regret that signing either. Just pointing out the obvious differences.

Hindsight is brilliant though - wasn't he advised to retire due to an eye condition / injury?

Super Chris played 8 games for Villa scoring once and 1 game for Wroxham.

Big Dion played 70 games for Norwich scoring 12 goals. Came second and then first for the prestigious Barry Butler over the two seasons he was here.

Edited by nutty nigel

22 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Big Dion played 70 games for Norwich scoring 12 goals. Came second and then first for the prestigious Barry Butler over the two seasons he was here.

Yeah, updated my response because my memory is hazy.

From memory though, he suffered an eye injury and was advised to retire or risk the very likely chance of making it worse. Could be wrong there though.

I think in hindsight, yes, probably ended up with the better end result. But at the time, I think Sutton returning, having been part of the sides that did well in the Premier League and Europe, probably would have won Worthington more favour than Dublin who never really made that impact early on in his career with us.

On paper, both were towards the end of their careers, but you wouldn't have expected to get 70 appearances out of a 36 year old, but you probably would hope to get at least that many from a 32 year old. Or at least, if you were to put money on either...

1 minute ago, chicken said:

From memory though, he suffered an eye injury and was advised to retire or risk the very likely chance of making it worse. Could be wrong there though.

I think in hindsight, yes, probably ended up with the better end result. But at the time, I think Sutton returning, having been part of the sides that did well in the Premier League and Europe, probably would have won Worthington more favour than Dublin who never really made that impact early on in his career with us.

On paper, both were towards the end of their careers, but you wouldn't have expected to get 70 appearances out of a 36 year old, but you probably would hope to get at least that many from a 32 year old. Or at least, if you were to put money on either...

He got the eye injury when he played for Villa. Presumably it was a specific event that caused it, rather than an inherent weakness, so what are the chances that he would have suffered the injury if he’d joined us?

2 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

He got the eye injury when he played for Villa. Presumably it was a specific event that caused it, rather than an inherent weakness, so what are the chances that he would have suffered the injury if he’d joined us?

We'll never know. Like I say, hindsight is fantastic. If we are comparing using hindsight, then yes, certainly got more from Dublin than Sutton perhaps was able to deliver.

But if you are comparing the point at which they were signed, 2006, one being 36 and the other being 32 and a genuine club legend, I think you would find it really hard to argue Dublin would be sought out first.

As I also said, why does it have to be either or? We could have had both! 

20 minutes ago, chicken said:

Yes it's conjecture and I have no idea how Sutton may have fared here. But I was replying to the unfair attacks on Worthy in the first few posts.

I'll bet his poor replacements Grant and Roeder were grateful to inherit Dion.

Edited by nutty nigel

14 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Yes it's conjecture and I have no idea how Sutton may have fared here. But I was replying to the unfair attacks on Worthy in the first few posts.

I'll bet his poor replacements Grant and Roeder were grateful to inherit Dion.

Indeed. I always felt it was all a bit harsh with Worthington. He'd more than done us well. And I think some people had forgotten where we were only a couple of seasons before. I always felt that Worthington would ensure we would build towards something, we were certainly under no threat of being relegated under his management.

Grant then Roeder stripped us bare. The only lasting impact either of them made on the club was Wes Hoolahan. Though if he had had his way, we would have lost Chris Martin as well as Huckerby.

26 minutes ago, chicken said:

We'll never know. Like I say, hindsight is fantastic. If we are comparing using hindsight, then yes, certainly got more from Dublin than Sutton perhaps was able to deliver.

But if you are comparing the point at which they were signed, 2006, one being 36 and the other being 32 and a genuine club legend, I think you would find it really hard to argue Dublin would be sought out first.

A

27 minutes ago, chicken said:

That would have been a great centre back pairing 🤣

So it was presumably summer 2006 he is talking about. Dublin didn't join until September, a few days before Worthington left. I think it's bizarre that Worthington would have turned down that option for Sutton - just imagine how many goals Hucks would have made for him.

16 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

So it was presumably summer 2006 he is talking about. Dublin didn't join until September, a few days before Worthington left. I think it's bizarre that Worthington would have turned down that option for Sutton - just imagine how many goals Hucks would have made for him.

https://norwichcity.myfootballwriter.com/2008/05/19/sutton-speaks-of-his-eye-injury-heart-ache-after-being-voted-into-the-greatest-ever/

I don't know why Worthy continually gets stick over this. It's not like either were on his 'a' list  I seem to remember he was chasing Hulse among others. 

11 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

I loved Sutton when he was here, but it’s a bit rich him expecting to just be able to return when the bulk of his career was over. He says his wage demands were ‘reasonable.’ What exactly does that mean? What happened subsequently tends to show Worthy was right.

Also Sutton says he doesn’t hold a grudge, whereas the article quite clearly shows that he does.

I can see why Chris wanted to return at the end of his career, it would have been nice to see Chris return.  Worthy obviously had recruited Dion Dublin, and he was superb, I guess that is why Worthy was employed to make those calls.  Shame we could not have had both

Just one of the many bizarre decisions and choices made by Worthington when he totally lost the plot in his final 18 months in charge. And how can you say he was right about signing Dublin when we never got to see the alternative of having Sutton, who was only 33 at the time? 😂

Terrible manager.

2 hours ago, alex_ncfc said:

Just one of the many bizarre decisions and choices made by Worthington when he totally lost the plot in his final 18 months in charge. And how can you say he was right about signing Dublin when we never got to see the alternative of having Sutton, who was only 33 at the time? 😂

Terrible manager.

Sutton went on to play a total of 18 games for Birmingham and Villa after leaving Celtic.

Dion played 70 times for us.

Worthy got us into the premier league.

Terrible poster!!

1 minute ago, Commonsense said:

Sutton went on to play a total of 18 games for Birmingham and Villa after leaving Celtic.

Dion played 70 times for us.

Worthy got us into the premier league.

Terrible poster!!

Yes because of an unfortunate injury that he probably would not have got here. He was fine before moving to Birmingham and Villa.