Sign in to follow this  
Mengo

Everton sign up big Frank Lampard

Everton have reportedly brought their drawn-out managerial search to an end two weeks after Rafael Benitez was sacked, with reports suggesting on Friday that Frank Lampard has been offered the job at Goodison Park.

I'm not sure how this will go... Do they have 3 or 4 young players with talent for FF to bring through? 

Hope the wheels really fall off.  

I don't get the hatred with Frank, but must say this feels a bit like he's gone there cause they play in blue.  Surely another championship club where he can develop players and come up via promotion is a better fit?

It may not be all that likely, but it could easily go wrong and breaking their consecutive top flight record is quite damning as a manager.

Personally think he'll do a good job, like most clubs there's plenty of young players to work with.  Rafa always held a poisoned chalice.

A real gamble. If an experienced guy, who has won titles at the top level can't stop the rot, it will be very interesting to see what Lampard will be able to achieve.

I get why Frank wants to go, and Everton is a better fit for him than we would have been, but surely this is a bit of a gamble for Everton.  I reckon most toffee fans will be nervous, I would want someone who had been in a relegation dog fight before.   Equally I thought Viera was a bad appointment, so what do I know

Edited by Newtopia

Purely on coaching ability - what a huge downgrade.

From Ancelotti and Benitez to Lampard.

Precipitous. 

53 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

I get why Frank wants to go, and Everton is a better fit for him than we would have been, but surely this is a bit of a gamble for Everton.  I reckon most toffee fans will be nervous, I would want someone who had been in a relegation dog fight before.   Equally I thought Viera was a bad appointment, so what do I know

I think Viera has surprised quite a few people, although annoyingly not those simpletons who think “big name=good appointment “.

Edited by Nuff Said

1 hour ago, kirku said:

Purely on coaching ability - what a huge downgrade.

From Ancelotti and Benitez to Lampard.

Precipitous. 

Agreed. Two Champions League winners to the bloke who got Derby to 6th. It is a big downgrade and I'd be nervous if I was them.

• Like 1

Lampard as a coach is one of the great frauds of British football. Completely inept tactically with the Champions league winning Chelsea team

If he doesn't have Jody Morris with him we'll  see a very  lost looking FL on the touchline. Jody has the 'nous' , Frankie has the image, between them , they are a manager. 

Didn't want him here because his teams ship goals from counter attacks and set pieces, that's extremely problematic at PL level, if I was an Everton fan I'd be gutted

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann

I seem to remember, but forgive me if I misrepresent things, that Lampard at both Derby and Chelski actually left both clubs in either the same position or worse when he departed?  Is that right?  If so, they may well get pulled into the relegation places.

Edited by shefcanary

41 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

I seem to remember, but forgive me if I misrepresent things, that Lampard at both Derby and Chelski actually left both clubs in either the same position or worse when he departed?  Is that right?  If so, they may well get pulled into the relegation places.

Yeah, I think he took Derby from 6th to 6th and Chelsea from 4th to 9th.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Agreed. Two Champions League winners to the bloke who got Derby to 6th. It is a big downgrade and I'd be nervous if I was them.

It was an expensively assembled Derby side with a load of very promising loan players (unless I'm mistaken) - 6th was pretty awful in the circumstances

For the umpteenth time - just because he was a good footballer in no way does it suggest he will be a good manager. 

On 28/01/2022 at 19:13, Mengo said:

Everton have reportedly brought their drawn-out managerial search to an end two weeks after Rafael Benitez was sacked, with reports suggesting on Friday that Frank Lampard has been offered the job at Goodison Park.

Breaking news

Everton confirm the appointment of Frank Lampard as the club's new manager on a two-and-a-half-year deal until 2024. 

Edited by Mengo