essex canary

Supporters Panel Notes of Meeting

Just now, FenwayFrank said:

Hilarious stuff

So do you think £38K is high or low - its unclear from your post. 

35 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

So do you think £38K is high or low - its unclear from your post. 

About the same pay in a year as some of our players will be getting in a week.

Requires close to 2,000 hours input in a year on one hand to build positive relationships with supporters and on the other to deal with supporter sanctions.

Depends on whatever you want to do with your life. Not for me.

5 minutes ago, essex canary said:

About the same pay in a year as some of our players will be getting in a week.

I think that can be said about most "normal" job roles (not just at football clubs) compared to players salaries. 

Its the players salary that is out of step. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

I think that can be said about most "normal" job roles (not just at football clubs) compared to players salaries. 

Its the players salary that is out of step. 

Indeed but in the same way that the football industry needs to be far more sympathetic to its supporters the same could perhaps apply to its administrative staff too with terms and conditions of jobs rather than just the salary.

On 28/01/2022 at 20:51, NewNestCarrow said:

"SH explained that a person does not have to have committed a criminal act for the club to issue a ban if the behaviour of the fan goes against club values."

I think the club needs to be especially careful in this area.

Example, someone (or more) clearly went against club values (please show me wheree these values are formally codified?) by making a commercial partnership with BK8, yet we are unaware of any sanction taken against those who were responsible.

Meanwhile, apparently, supporters that mock other football fans are subject to sanction.

This isn't particularly unusual. If you go into a pub and call the owner a series of rather brash and untasteful names, interspaced with other such unpleasantries, they may well decide to ban you form entering ever again.

In fairness, they could chose to do this if you did something they didn't like of felt distinctly uncomfortable about.

For example, the idiots mocking Man Utd fans by acting out the Munich plane crash. Not a 'criminal' act, but incredibly distasteful and perhaps not one they want to see at one of our games. Remember, bans don't have to be permanent. I do feel though, that if the club has values that the majority are in tune with then yes, it is right for the club to reinforce this.

• Like 1

On 28/01/2022 at 19:30, Feedthewolf said:

<A lot of very good info shared>

Thanks loads for this Feedthewolf. Please thank other panel members for me too.

The long game at this point is the best game. It's early doors with having this sort of panel around and it is all about, like you say, building relationships with various people in different roles at the club. Going in all guns blazing and demanding immediate change will never work. It doesn't work anywhere else, at least not for the long term.

Keep up the good work and great effort, it's much appreciated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Apologies if I’ve missed an answer from one of our resident panel members but for a third time has the panel been consulted by the club on proposed season ticket pricing for next season?

2 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

Apologies if I’ve missed an answer from one of our resident panel members but for a third time has the panel been consulted by the club on proposed season ticket pricing for next season?

This is one area of discussion that the club has asked us not to comment on publicly. In hindsight I should have said that earlier, sorry.

22 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

I suspect there are several thousand season ticket holders who do not use social media at all and as the OSP is there to represent the broad church of Norwich fans i don't quite accept your thought that it would not be worthwhile as not enough would be interested. How can they express any interest if they are unaware what is going on wolfie ?  Surely to grow and flourish the OSP needs to be made available to as many fans as possible not just those on social media. A click of the button at the NCFC end when communications such as season tickets and membership are circulated to include OSP newsletter and minutes is not a technical issue that would require much labour intensity from that end.

You make a fair point here, Tilly. On reflection, I agree with you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Feedthewolf said:

You make a fair point here, Tilly. On reflection, I agree with you.

It was only a matter of time Wolfie! 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, chicken said:

Thanks loads for this Feedthewolf. Please thank other panel members for me too.

The long game at this point is the best game. It's early doors with having this sort of panel around and it is all about, like you say, building relationships with various people in different roles at the club. Going in all guns blazing and demanding immediate change will never work. It doesn't work anywhere else, at least not for the long term.

Keep up the good work and great effort, it's much appreciated.

Sound advice concerning the Supporters Panel.

Equally though the Club has 6,860 shareholders with whom it has or ought to have built a long term relationship. It could call an EGM to discuss the Crouch Report. 

• Like 1

Just now, essex canary said:

Sound advice concerning the Supporters Panel.

Equally though the Club has 6,860 shareholders with whom it has or ought to have built a long term relationship. It could call an EGM to discuss the Crouch Report. 

Or shareholders can raise it at an AGM?

This isn't about shareholders or AGM's though so not really relevant. 

4 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

It was only a matter of time Wolfie! 

No, it was a matter of him actually being right for once... 😛

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

No, it was a matter of him actually being right for once... 😛

Or  maybe you not being right all of the time wolfie. 😛

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TIL 1010 said:

Or  maybe you not being right all of the time wolfie. 😛

Haha, touché 🙂

14 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

This is one area of discussion that the club has asked us not to comment on publicly. In hindsight I should have said that earlier, sorry.

So that’s a yes? I accept you can’t tell me what was discussed or is proposed but the fans panel has been consulted and views were given? 

Just now, Jim Smith said:

So that’s a yes? I accept you can’t tell me what was discussed or is proposed but the fans panel has been consulted and views were given? 

Ps. Thanks for the reply btw.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Yes, we were.

Yes, we were.

Wolfie - appreciate your postion and you rightly cannot say what was discussed in detail - fully respect that. 

However interested to know if it was a 'done deal' before the meeting, or if the OSP had any input into the setting of the (currently alleged) price( increase).   

Just now, Greavsy said:

Wolfie - appreciate your postion and you rightly cannot say what was discussed in detail - fully respect that. 

However interested to know if it was a 'done deal' before the meeting, or if the OSP had any input into the setting of the (currently alleged) price( increase).   

I'd rather wait until the announcement is made before I answer that. Feel free to nudge me when that happens.

• Thanks 2

I'd rather wait until the announcement is made before I answer that. Feel free to nudge me when that happens.

Accept that Wolfie, and trust me ill nudge you! 😉 

hopefully the increase is only a rumour, but if its not the case the club will issue some wording to justify which im sure will raise conversation too. 

I think they're bound to go up, aren't they? Everything else seems to be! 

It's not an enviable position for them trying to strike the balance between a big enough increase that it is worth doing and not too big that it causes mass uproar - and of course everybody has their different trigger points on what or how much that is.

I've seen 9% rumoured (did this surface on Twitter?), which would raise north of a million quid in additional revenue if everyone renewed (guesstimate), is that significant enough? Pfft, I dunno, if there is an increase of any amount the club will likely cop some stick, more if we do get relegated I suspect. 

7 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

I've seen 9% rumoured (did this surface on Twitter?), which would raise north of a million quid in additional revenue if everyone renewed (guesstimate), is that significant enough? Pfft, I dunno, if there is an increase of any amount the club will likely cop some stick, more if we do get relegated I suspect. 

First point - my understanding is it came from SB on twitter. 

Second point - more games - so price per match is effectively less. 

2 hours ago, Greavsy said:

hopefully the increase is only a rumour, but if its not the case the club will issue some wording to justify which im sure will raise conversation too. 

After several years of no rises i am fully expecting a fairly substantial increase but i suspect in order to deflect any criticism and there most certainly will be no matter if it is just a couple of per cent the club wording you speak of Greavsy will contain the words Consultation, Fans Groups and OSP.

Edited by TIL 1010

6 hours ago, chicken said:

Or shareholders can raise it at an AGM?

This isn't about shareholders or AGM's though so not really relevant. 

Not timely re an AGM is it therefore my point about an EGM.

On your second point perhaps the Clubs Constitution is relevant?

7 minutes ago, essex canary said:

Not timely re an AGM is it therefore my point about an EGM.

On your second point perhaps the Clubs Constitution is relevant?

Sure but if you want to raise an issue as a shareholder, surely there are channels for that? Could you not petition a larger shareholder to call for an EGM to discuss it?

The point I was making is that is this panel here to represent fans or shareholders? If you think the club should be reaching out to shareholders more is that a question for the panel or for an AGM? Or another type of shareholder communication? Otherwise it comes across as hijacking.

Edited by chicken

14 minutes ago, chicken said:

Sure but if you want to raise an issue as a shareholder, surely there are channels for that? Could you not petition a larger shareholder to call for an EGM to discuss it?

The point I was making is that is this panel here to represent fans or shareholders? If you think the club should be reaching out to shareholders more is that a question for the panel or for an AGM? Or another type of shareholder communication? Otherwise it comes across as hijacking.

I can't find it now but I was under the impression that 5% of the shareholder base would be needed to call a resolution and I don't know whether that is percentage of shareholders or percentage of value. Either way it would need a lot of effort to achieve amongst minority shareholders and in a sense it isn't the point.

The point is that 20 years ago the Club was promoting shareholding as a means of having a say in the Club. Now it promotes the Supporters Panel as an alternative partially because newer or younger fans haven't had a fair opportunity to become shareholders. Also I do not believe they took account of the shareholders dimension at all in forming the Panel.

The Crouch Report is labelled as 'fan-led' yet our community oriented Football Club seems more interested in taking the issues forward with fellow Premier Leagu  Clubs (query the relevance of that to next season?)  than in consulting its own fans whether shareholders or otherwise. I really wish that with all this fan consultation there was a means of influencing that but apparently not.

5 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

After several years of no rises i am fully expecting a fairly substantial increase but i suspect in order to deflect any criticism and there most certainly will be no matter if it is just a couple of per cent the club wording you speak of Greavsy will contain the words Consultation, Fans Groups and OSP.

Given that the last increase was eight years ago and given that combined UK inflation since then seems to have been somewhere between 16 and 19 per cent it is hard to see how any increase someway below that kind of figure that would attract any criticism to be deflected.🤓

2 hours ago, essex canary said:

I can't find it now but I was under the impression that 5% of the shareholder base would be needed to call a resolution and I don't know whether that is percentage of shareholders or percentage of value. Either way it would need a lot of effort to achieve amongst minority shareholders and in a sense it isn't the point.

The point is that 20 years ago the Club was promoting shareholding as a means of having a say in the Club. Now it promotes the Supporters Panel as an alternative partially because newer or younger fans haven't had a fair opportunity to become shareholders. Also I do not believe they took account of the shareholders dimension at all in forming the Panel.

The Crouch Report is labelled as 'fan-led' yet our community oriented Football Club seems more interested in taking the issues forward with fellow Premier Leagu  Clubs (query the relevance of that to next season?)  than in consulting its own fans whether shareholders or otherwise. I really wish that with all this fan consultation there was a means of influencing that but apparently not.

It's not just opportunity, it's available income and time.

As for what our club seems interested in, probably best to leave that to the panel to establish.