cambridgeshire canary

Liverpool hire mental health therapist to deal with abuse

wouldn't they be better directing their efforts at eradicating the cause / perpetrators rather than concentrating on the effected? (not saying those effected shouldnt get any support) 

5 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

wouldn't they be better directing their efforts at eradicating the cause / perpetrators rather than concentrating on the effected? (not saying those effected shouldnt get any support) 

As long as internet anonymity exists abuse will always be there. Sadly nothing you can do about it.

Other than of course forcing every user on the internet to post with their real name, picture of themselves and their address which let's be real is insane, unworkable and will never happen for very obvious reasons.

7 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

As long as internet anonymity exists abuse will always be there. Sadly nothing you can do about it.

Other than of course forcing every user on the internet to post with their real name, picture of themselves and their address which let's be real is insane, unworkable and will never happen for very obvious reasons.

A lot of it is traceable - via IP addresses and the like. 

Yes we have usernames here - but its linked to our personal email addresses which SDP has access too, and moderates very well. Im sure if anyone was performing anything illegal on here Archant would quite rightly provide the authorities with the relevant details to take action. I know its not always that easy, but it is achievable in some circumstances, if the appetite and resources are there.    

1 hour ago, Greavsy said:

No, they wouldn't.

It's entirely within any individual's capacity to not allow someone else's words or insults (no matter how egregious) affect their mental or emotional wellbeing. 

That doesn't mean that it's easy to do or get right every time, but that's what therapists can help with. 

2 minutes ago, Orly said:

No, they wouldn't.

It's entirely within any individual's capacity to not allow someone else's words or insults (no matter how egregious) affect their mental or emotional wellbeing. 

That doesn't mean that it's easy to do or get right every time, but that's what therapists can help with. 

Not going to argue with that, my point was more its a shame that some peoples (luckily the minority) actions necessitate others to need therapy,  whereas it would be better if the abuse didnt happen thus removing the need for therapy. Surely that's the better place to target, albeit a much larger range. 

Its akin to giving victims of burglary / crime some counselling (Which i do accept is beneficial) and not addressing the culprits and thus preventing further occurrences. 

1 minute ago, Greavsy said:

Not going to argue with that, my point was more its a shame that some peoples (luckily the minority) actions necessitate others to need therapy,  whereas it would be better if the abuse didnt happen thus removing the need for therapy. Surely that's the better place to target, albeit a much larger range. 

Its akin to giving victims of burglary / crime some counselling (Which i do accept is beneficial) and not addressing the culprits and thus preventing further occurrences. 

It's not quite though, is it? Liverpool FC are in no position to start policing the internet so they are doing what is within their power. Even the police are in no position to start policing the internet, they just step in when something happens that is so egregious they're needed. A lot of the low level trolling will come nowhere near their threshold yet can still do serious damage to a person's mental health.

Wasn't suggesting a football team has to police the internet, 

Its just a shame that other normal members of the public who also get online abuse dont have the backing / support that the multi millionaire footballers get. 

It should be addressed at source for all levels. 

Edited by Greavsy

It’s not either/or though is it? You can do both. It’s unlikely that Liverpool, or any club, can stop the abuse, so they do what they can to help players cope with it.

Other authorities can try and stop as much of the abuse as they can, but some will always slip through. Once it’s been read then you can ban for the future but at that point the damage has been done. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jambomo said:

It’s not either/or though is it? You can do both. It’s unlikely that Liverpool, or any club, can stop the abuse, so they do what they can to help players cope with it.

Other authorities can try and stop as much of the abuse as they can, but some will always slip through. Once it’s been read then you can ban for the future but at that point the damage has been done. 

Fair comment, and I agree, doesnt have to be either or. 

However once you have banned, it stops further offences which is beneficial, albeit limited. Plus could, hopefully, work as a deterrent for others.   

A lot of it is traceable - via IP addresses and the like. 

Yes we have usernames here - but its linked to our personal email addresses which SDP has access too, and moderates very well. Im sure if anyone was performing anything illegal on here Archant would quite rightly provide the authorities with the relevant details to take action. I know its not always that easy, but it is achievable in some circumstances, if the appetite and resources are there.    

Lol how naive are you 😂

Look up disposable email and vpn. 

The truth is its no different from hurling abuse from the stands, and often far less bad. 

Look at the snake pit when an opposing player comes near them, the abuse is utterly vile, and at times threatening. 

Yet nobody wants to clamp down on that, no just people online sending hurty words. 

World needs to grow up and deal with some important stuff. 

Edited by fredherring
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, fredherring said:

Lol how naive are you 😂

Look up disposable email and vpn. 

The truth is its no different from hurling abuse from the stands. 

Look at the snake pit when an opposing player comes near them, the abuse is utterly vile, and at times threatening. 

Yet nobody wants to clamp down on that, no just people online sending hurty words. 

World needs to grow up and deal with some important stuff. 

Hence my comment about appetite and resource. 

So the CCTV that catches people hurling abuse (as well as physical objects) isnt effective? Or those two old boys in the Barclay against Man U? 

Unfortunately the identification or further of these offenders are very much in the minorty but that's down to resources and appetite.  

8 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Hence my comment about appetite and resource. 

So the CCTV that catches people hurling abuse (as well as physical objects) isnt effective? Or those two old boys in the Barclay against Man U? 

Unfortunately the identification or further of these offenders are very much in the minorty but that's down to resources and appetite.  

It only goes so far. Abuse doesn’t always have to be offensive or illegal to be hurtful and mentally harmful to players. The CCTV is only going to try to identify potentially criminal abuse like racist abuse, throwing things etc.

If you are say Sargent, basically getting laughed at and called **** by thousands of people, well wouldn’t that be pretty mentally awful for him? Yet fans feel entitled to throw abuse at players because they pay their ticket money, or buy stuff from the shop or whatever. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Greavsy said:

Room for both, really.

1 minute ago, Jambomo said:

It only goes so far. Abuse doesn’t always have to be offensive or illegal to be hurtful and mentally harmful to players. The CCTV is only going to try to identify potentially criminal abuse like racist abuse, throwing things etc.

If you are say Sargent, basically getting laughed at and called **** by thousands of people, well wouldn’t that be pretty mentally awful for him? Yet fans feel entitled to throw abuse at players because they pay their ticket money, or buy stuff from the shop or whatever. 

Im absolutely not defending it - but one mans banter is another mans offensive comment. Plus when multiplied it changes again, of course. 

Hence why the need to people as whole to be educated and compliant. 

unfortunately that wont happen. 

1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

Room for both, really.

Agreed. 

But once they deal with the perpetrators and its eradicated then there will be no need for counselling of individuals. 

Alas, I cannot see that being achieved.   

3 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Agreed. 

But once they deal with the perpetrators and its eradicated then there will be no need for counselling of individuals. 

Alas, I cannot see that being achieved.   

I dunno, mental health issues can strike for any reason, just abuse is one of those that seems a more prevalent trigger of a pro footballer. First thoughts are that this is a pretty laudable initiative on LFC's part and if it stops another Robert Enke scenario, or indeed even an Anthony Spyrou case with a youngster just losing interest, it's more than worth it.

Edited by TheGunnShow

45 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I agree. Whilst players may be able to find it easier to throw off abuse by opposition fans, to have your own supporters ridiculing your efforts is particularly challenging. It certainly doesn't help them perform and is acknowledged by many to make matters worse.

We have had this discussion before and I know that some fans think it is ok to ridicule our own players despite the fact that it damages our cause. It isn't but some think that it is their right so it won't change - in these circumstances (amongst others) sports psychologists and therapists are a good idea.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fredherring said:

Look at the snake pit when an opposing player comes near them, the abuse is utterly vile

No it's not.

Edited by Google Bot

Perhaps one very good piece of advice to footballers (or anyone else concerned about being on the receiving end of unkind words) would be simply to not have a public social media presence at all, especially Twitter which seems particularly unpleasant.

Some opposing players would be disappointed not to get some abuse at Carrow Road. Troy Deeney absolutely loved the banter when warming up a few seasons back. 

14 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Some opposing players would be disappointed not to get some abuse at Carrow Road. Troy Deeney absolutely loved the banter when warming up a few seasons back. 

Well yes. Individuals react differently.

I accept that the written word possibly has more potential to cause upset, but supporters have shouted and chanted abuse at footballers (and referees) for probably as long as football has been played.  That doesn’t make it right, but what has happened to make us all so thin-skinned that the only answer is to have therapy?  Surely it just exacerbates the mentality of victimhood.

Edited by Naturalcynic

1 hour ago, Naturalcynic said:

That doesn’t make it right, but what has happened to make us all so thin-skinned that the only answer is to have therapy? 

One of the biggest natural therapies is going out and letting some steam off and reconnecting with that animalistic side.

3 hours ago, Naturalcynic said:

I accept that the written word possibly has more potential to cause upset, but supporters have shouted and chanted abuse at footballers (and referees) for probably as long as football has been played.  That doesn’t make it right, but what has happened to make us all so thin-skinned that the only answer is to have therapy?  Surely it just exacerbates the mentality of victimhood.

wpid-550251_10151161008861909_513448073_n.jpg

• Thanks 1

Who says it's about being "thin-skinned?"

I suspect it's more that players realise they don't have to bottle nonsense up inside and that mental health is indeed given more importance, although there's still a long way to go.

Reads like "back in the old days when I was woken up with a belt across my ****, got to school to have the cane and then got seven shades of hell beaten out of me after school never did me any harm, kids these days are too soft!".

I'd suggest that you'd probably need to go back to when football became properly professional through the top four divisions. Then things like TV's becoming more common in homes. Then things like football hooliganism, the various disasters both in Europe and in the UK, Hillsborough, race riots in the '70's. Then the premier league going to international audiences, more money in the game, better universal education (which there undoubtedly is) and of course the internet itself.

Once upon a time it was perfectly acceptable to shout out strings of words that would now be considered racist / hate speech. We are more aware of the meaning of the words, yet there are more platforms to throw them from. Equally, in the past, saying silly things was met with more severe 'social justice'.

Many of these players have been primed to be footballers since they were as young as 6. As folks have said elsewhere, only a small fraction of them make it. That pressure, all that time. Was enough for me doing just my GCSE's and A-Levels, we know our youth players have to do that AND train to be a pro.

Also, it's a different type of footballer now. We might joke about players being a bit low on the IQ front, but the game has certainly become more technical. There were jokes about Ferguson and Wenger based around exactly that. Their understanding of tactics needs to be greater. Squads are bigger, players expected to be more adaptable, to be able to take in analysis.

Some of the best players we have seen play football have struggled with various off field issues. That can leave them open to abuse. Chadwick spoke out about how much the insults around his acne got to him. I think people think just because they don't always react on the pitch, it means they can handle it.

Mind you, there are also those who think they are paid enough money and should be able to take the abuse - as if how much you get paid justifies you getting called what Gilmore has been.

I agree with Greavsey, it should be both. Social media platforms should be shutting people down far quicker. Newer platforms tend to be a bit slow too, I know twitch struggles with it. In reality though, clubs primarily only have control of their own players, who they also have a duty of responsibility over. Yes, there are many normal people out there who have to put up with abuse and don't have that support, but should clubs refuse to help their players on that basis? No, of course not.

I hope that some people take heed of some of the comments in this thread and consider their own actions. We have recently had a poster share they have had death threats and various abuse from people online, we have had people threaten to physically harm others in an actual thread, and we have had targeted trolling too. Perhaps it's time for folks to realise that we're all responsible of taking responsibility for our own expressions and also the impact they have on other people.

Rather than resorting to some pathetic version of "man up" etc.

• Like 3