6 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Tbh it’s not too dissimilar to Milot for our second yesterday - I’d much rather close calls were given in favour of the attacking side.

Completely agree. Its the inconsistency that makes VAR so awful. Noone wants to see great, or even just legitmate goals forensically disallowed wherever they can be. I still maintain Pukki's disallowed goal at Tottenham affected him.

Some goals get disallowed by a pu-be, others arent. It just feels like 'put your lines wherever you want'.

Funnily enough I ended up watching Liverpool Vs Arsenal from 1989 earlier on football classics. Wasnt intentional, was just a run-on from the racing. Ended up watching it as it was so different to football the way it is now.

It got me wondering what would happen to the modern game if we dispensed with offside altogether? In the past it was necessary to stop 'goal-hanging', but I wonder, would that be a concern in the modern game given the way it has changed?

Edited by The Great Mass Debater

2 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

By definition of the current interpretation he’s on side 

next 

Head looks offside to me - thats a ball-playing part of the body. I personally would never call that offside, he's level as far as Im concerned, but in other games this could totally be disallowed

6 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

It got me wondering what would happen to the modern game if we dispensed with offside altogether? In the past it was necessary to stop 'goal-hanging', but I wonder, would that be a concern in the modern game given the way it has changed?

I think every team would have a player stood on the 6-yard box (when they are in the opponents half) to force the defenders to drop deep and defend. Creating room for midfielders. 

21 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Head looks offside to me - thats a ball-playing part of the body. I personally would never call that offside, he's level as far as Im concerned, but in other games this could totally be disallowed

Yep, as in “other games”, if it’s not Man United involved it’s disallowed after a five minute study of the video. Today, United’s review took like 20 seconds.

The VAR team against Villa in the FA Cup were so wanting that goal to be disallowed, it was like they were doing everything in their power so it wouldn’t stand and keep the cash cow of the Prem 1-0 up.

Cavani’s head was offside, the VAR team must be closet Man United supporters. Even all three of the Premier League board members were United supporters at one point, and David Gill was one of them.

Edited by KernowCanary

The weirdest decision of the day was at St Mary's 

Where Kev De B could have had a penalty for a foul right on the edge of the box, referee said play on.

Ball went out for a throw in to Man City

VAR checked the penalty and said the foul was outside the box 

The restart? Throw in to Man City 

It's laughable.

30 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Being played on by defenders toe 

next 

8 hours ago, CDMullins said:

Where Kev De B could have had a penalty for a foul right on the edge of the box, referee said play on.

It's laughable.

Well VAR would have been checking for a penalty. If it confirmed no penalty then play continues. It's not hard.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Yobocop said:

Being played on by defenders toe 

next 

It patently isn't and there is a photo showing that, but you be you.

44 minutes ago, Mackrel829 said:

Well VAR would have been checking for a penalty. If it confirmed no penalty then play continues. It's not hard.

But they confirmed there was a foul...

Why are we allowing wrong decisions even after VAR has been checked?

It's really not hard.

Referees and linesmen are being told not to give decisions unless they are sure, because VAR will sort it 

But instead of getting a free kick on edge of the box, Man City got a throw in.

10 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Have to say, United's last minute winner today looks totally legit to me...

That line going around Cavani’s shoulder isn’t where he is on the pitch though is it? Unless he’s 2D and flat against the pitch… If you drew your line straight down to the pitch from his shoulder he’d be in line (as is done for every VAR decision where a point above the ground is the furthest forward on the player) 

This season - in line = onside

In 19/20 - in line = offside

Several goals as bad as Pukki’s vs Spurs were disallowed 2 seasons ago as well 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

It patently isn't and there is a photo showing that, but you be you.

The adapted photo above you mean, which is made to look like cavani is offside? 

try this one on for size, see if it fits and come back to me:

AA746758-EE46-4C1B-86D7-17FC21949EAB.webp

Edited by Yobocop

10 hours ago, CDMullins said:

It's laughable.

That check took forever as well. If it was us or Burnley or whatever it would have been waved away and not even considered by the ref let alone VAR.

corrupt league, corrupt officials, corrupt league managers. Plain and simple.

1 hour ago, CDMullins said:

But they confirmed there was a foul...

Why are we allowing wrong decisions even after VAR has been checked?

It's really not hard.

Referees and linesmen are being told not to give decisions unless they are sure, because VAR will sort it 

But instead of getting a free kick on edge of the box, Man City got a throw in.

VAR is there for four things: goals, penalties, red cards and mistaken identity. 

I get your point that it was a check for a penalty and it showed that it should've been a free kick, but ultimately, VAR is not there to give free kicks so it can't award one. If you do start doing that, you'll have to check all free kicks, because the anti-VAR brigade will claim a few weeks later that 'VAR gave Man City a free kick'.

One of the other big problems we have with var is the assumption ( trust ) ( rightly or wrongly ) that it is a bit biased towards certain clubs. How many like me automatically assume when looking at the picture that if that would have been at the other end it would have been disallowed ?
Of course the biggest problem is ala Watford, 3 times I celebrated a goal, then was left flat awaiting the result of var. By the time the goal was awarded the ‘ wildness ‘ of scoring a goal had disappeared.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Well b back said:

One of the other big problems we have with var is the assumption ( trust ) ( rightly or wrongly ) that it is a bit biased towards certain clubs. How many like me automatically assume when looking at the picture that if that would have been at the other end it would have been disallowed ?
Of course the biggest problem is ala Watford, 3 times I celebrated a goal, then was left flat awaiting the result of var. By the time the goal was awarded the ‘ wildness ‘ of scoring a goal had disappeared.

Indeed, I didn't celebrate the first goal properly because I was half-expecting it to be brought back for a foul by Pukki. Similarly, I stopped celebrating the second goal when I saw the still of the replay, because Rashica looked marginally off to the naked eye, similar to Cavani yesterday. 

That's probably the worst thing about VAR, that you can't celebrate goals properly any more.

• Like 4

I think my favourite thing about Sargent scorpion kick is the commentator saying “did it cross the line” and carragher screaming “noooooo” 😂

have some of that you scouse, wheel-nicker.

7 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

VAR is there for four things: goals, penalties, red cards and mistaken identity. 

I get your point that it was a check for a penalty and it showed that it should've been a free kick, but ultimately, VAR is not there to give free kicks so it can't award one. If you do start doing that, you'll have to check all free kicks, because the anti-VAR brigade will claim a few weeks later that 'VAR gave Man City a free kick'.

I agree fully however the problem is referees are relying on var so erring on the side of caution when not making decisions. In real time that looked a penalty and if it was given as such Man City would have had a free kick on the edge of the area and Southampton a yellow card. 

Its a bit like the linesman relies on var for a close offside if a goal is scored, var check offside, however if it was close and ball goes out for a corner and said team score from the corner then goal.

7 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Indeed, I didn't celebrate the first goal properly because I was half-expecting it to be brought back for a foul by Pukki. Similarly, I stopped celebrating the second goal when I saw the still of the replay, because Rashica looked marginally off to the naked eye, similar to Cavani yesterday. 

That's probably the worst thing about VAR, that you can't celebrate goals properly any more.

Here’s a serious question, at the game did you realise that their player had been sent off ?.