@Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said in an earlier post that arguably the worst part is that fans can't really celebrate goals any more. From a pure fan's experience, I agree. My stance as someone who's keenly involved in football as a player and referee is that we're at risk of creating a separate, professional game where the rules aren't universal, and denting the appeal of the sport in the process.

Football really isn't a complicated game, but FIFA and the IFAB seem to be making it unnecessarily so in striving for greater accuracy.

5 hours ago, Mackrel829 said:

You're basically arguing for VAR to micromanage every single decision in that case. That's really not something we should be pushing for.

VAR can be used to give a penalty. It can't be used to give a free kick. Hence, no free kick was awarded and play continued.

No, I'm really not.

Im asking for the correct decision to be made.

VAR watched a foul, determined it was outside the box, yet the game didn't restart as it should have.

Its quite simple to be honest 

Edited by CDMullins

7 hours ago, Google Bot said:

Makes you sick that decision, VAR has well and truly ****ed this game over a barrel in regards to how it's casting so much doubt when goals are scored, offsides are being allowed to play on risking players injured for no reason.   Then they favour cheaters.

On top of that it's being used by absolute twats, and they're adjusting the rules of the sport to allow for it - honestly, just get rid if they're too afraid of calling out these cheating ****wits.

Clip here if no-one seen it: https://mixture.gg/v/61ed783382c37

So... the Scouse player loses control of the ball and then runs into the Palace keeper and VAR awards a penalty?!
Would love to see the rational or what im missing here.

Disgraceful and corrupt. 
As much as things like the Hand of God or that goal vs Germany are frustrating or inspirational they are also footballing folklore.
Alas never again, VAR defecates over that.
It used to hurt to watch MOTD and realise a foul, off side or w/e costing us a match, but it sure felt good to see your guy a country mile off side and grab that wining goal because the lino lost concentration! That is football, not some Mark sat in an office deciding who wins the game.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

I've always said it ... get rid of VAR

1. It was 'the beautiful game' BEFORE VAR was invented ...... Pele, Maradona, Best, Batistuta and Huckerby didn't have it / need it - why do we now?

2. It categorically doesn't strip away the human element of adjudicating - thus - it remains as a subjective process ... hence CERTAIN clubs getting decisions that others wouldn't (which has been shown time and time and time again). There's no conspiracy at work and there's no corruption BUT subconsciously the geeks behind the screens are FAR more likely to alert the ref if Ronaldo tumbles in the box when he feels a hand brush his shoulder rather than if Pukki gets a shove in the penalty area at Old Trafford and the ref hasn't seen it himself. That can't be denied.

3. VAR wouldn't have been allowed into (an ALREADY awesomely effective and successful sport) if people had known the form that it has quickly ended up taking. It was ONLY introduced (like goal line tech) to blow the whistle on CLEAR AND OBVIOUS referee errors but because they 'can' measure an offside by a millimetre or freeze frame a tackle or handball we seem to 'have' to wheel it out ... often despite neither players nor fans appealing against an error by the ref!!!

4. If you put it to a vote I GUARANTEE the fans and players would vote to ditch it by 75% at least.

5. Finally, did any of us mourn the absence of VAR last season when we dipped back out of it and into the Championship .... OR .... was the spectacle (and sport itself) EVEN BETTER without it?

Football is poetry, organic and chaotic .... not a science, robotic and sterile. 

Unplug VAR at the mains.

Totally agree with you.... VAR, it is corrupt, that's evidently obvious.... so impressed you threw Batistuta in that list!  

Var could work, if it was implemented properly. I said before it was brought in the way it should be done was have it able to just call back play for 30 seconds max. If no decision in that time then it obviously isn't a clear decision. The other potential option is challenge flags like in NFL/cricket though that would be less successful as those games stop repeatedly at shirt intervals anyway and you would get frivolous appeals just to break up good opportunities for the opposition...

16 hours ago, Google Bot said:

Makes you sick that decision, VAR has well and truly ****ed this game over a barrel in regards to how it's casting so much doubt when goals are scored, offsides are being allowed to play on risking players injured for no reason.   Then they favour cheaters.

On top of that it's being used by absolute twats, and they're adjusting the rules of the sport to allow for it - honestly, just get rid if they're too afraid of calling out these cheating ****wits.

Clip here if no-one seen it: https://mixture.gg/v/61ed783382c37

It gets worse every time I watch it. Kevin Friend and whichever total **** VAR official told him to look at that should not be allowed near a football pitch ever again.

But they'll be back out ****ing up games again next week because they were just obeying orders.

5 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Would anyone be surprised if var rescues Newcastle on the last day of the season ?

Not if they use the same var set up from the palace v liverpool game

Disgusting decision to award a penalty

35 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Would anyone be surprised if var rescues Newcastle on the last day of the season ?

It has become a huge factor in who wins games. As someone said earlier, the opinion of the onfield ref is now secondary to the opinion of an official sitting in an office looking at a tv screen. It is ruining football as a spectacle. Big clubs want it of course, because they know it helps them. Newcastle, now at the top of the money tree, will get that help too.

In the year Leicester won the title - no var that year of course - every game they seemed to get decisons in their favour to the point that it almost looked intentional. I'm not saying it was intentional, just that it looked like it was. Subliminal, if you like. Var acts in the same way imo. Leicester were everyone's favourite team that year and that imo is why they got better decisions - subliminal or sub-conscious reactions of officials to a team who were popular. 

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Big clubs want it of course, because they know it helps them. Newcastle, now at the top of the money tree, will get that help too.

I don't know if I buy into that big club thing.  I mean, I see it with my own eyes in so many instances this season alone - but another part of me just can't believe it's true.

But then you consider the ESL threat in summer, and also factor in Liverpool and Man City being closer in points helps this season to "Stay alive" for the worldwide audience... That Jota decision is really really dodgy.

I think one thing worth noting was that with Sarge's first goal on Friday, without VAR the ref may have given a freekick against Pukki when defender dived.  As VAR is in place, he let the play go and it lead to the goal.. You can see him go to blow, but he doesn't.

So, while I'll jump down the throat of VAR most times, this may be an example where it's actually worked as you'd hope.  But it's rare that players diving aren't rewarded - is the problem.  And those that dive are generally from the larger clubs.

But then, the question should be asked if that was any of the big clubs we were playing would the goal have stood?  That's the really worrying factor.  Surely when something like this is put into place there should be a formal independent panel that check for sporting integrity - does it exist?

Edited by Google Bot