Last two games have showed encouraging signs that PLM is adjusting and looking better each game, and that Lungi might just be the answer to our CDM issue (until his unfortunate injury)

Going beyond the transfer window that still leaves me wondering:

a) When Normann returns, hopefully it will be beside PLM or Lungi, or as part of that as a 3 man midfield

b) Just whether the jury on Mclean will come in and even though Smith sees him as one of our experienced pros, just when will we upgrade him

c) Just where Gilmour fits into to any formation going forward, whether he adds any value, and whether we should save on his wages or his loan spot and try to replace him (which I suspect is looking unlikely and he'd be kept pending injury crisis) but our midfield is now looking so much better without him

d) As attacking midfielders Rash, Idah & Sarg are starting to come into their own, which is promising, with Tzolis & Placheta & Rowe backups (not mentioning Cantwell who's just been awol all season, and hope some deal could be struck for him to leave which pockets us with cash for the kitty)    

What do you think. Would you still like to see NCGC try and improve that midfield in any way 2nd half of the season ?

I thought PLM looked much better, equally we are playing a completely different style of football, which makes us much more solid and difficult to breakdown.

a) PLM and Normann, would be my 2 man midfield, although they will always chopping and changing with injuries etc, and we consider transitioning much more directly

b) I think Rupp is ahead of McLean in Smiths eye, the intriguing one is Gilmour, I am not sure what Smith thinks of him,

c) I can’t see how we can play two up top, and Gilmour,

d) I think is we had the opportunity (Money and a suitable player wanted to join) I think we could actually by a player for anywhere on the field and fit them in, for me still a powerful midfield, no matter how well we all thought PLM played, he was bullied by Sissoko,

Edited by Newtopia

Offensively I like to see Pukki, Idah, Sargent and Rashica on the pitch. 

That leaves only 2 places to fill. PLM and Normann for me, with Sargent and Rashica tucking in.

Just hope Deano resists the urge to accommodate certain players.

Dean did say in his post-match interview that we’ve got important players due back soon, meaning Normann (I think we agree on this one), and Gilmour. Is he just bigging up what he’s got or will he put Billy straight back in? One thing (among many) that I liked about Farke was that once a player had had a good game, the shirt was normally theirs to lose. Does Smith see it the same way, or will he tinker with a winning side just to accommodate his so-called “best” players.

I was really excited about the Billy gilmour loan at first as he puts on a great show for Scotland. 

He simply has not shown up for us this season, lad has talent but maybe he's already got his eyes on his glorious return to chelski and does not want to risk tearing anything in a relegation scrap.

Given his place in the Scotland squad and the motd / talk****e lot pandering to his heaps of ability he will end up in the premiership.

Just not a Norwich player I feel q

Other than Krul being injured, I was pleased Smith went same line up and same formation, so hopefully he's one for keeping the faith with those that played well.

And you shouldn't change a winning team unless you have to. If he wants to bring Gilmour back I just dont know who gets droppped as they're all playing much better than Gilmour anyway 

Well one thing's for sure, we'd get absolutely murdered if Gilmour was part of a midfield two! 

• Like 2

Just posted on another thread SSn saying Newcastle and Watford are interested in taking Leicester midfielder Hamza Choudhury

He's one I'd definitely prefer over Gilmour 

1 hour ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Is it just a coincidence that we look a lot more together since Gilmour went back to Chelsea? 

Yeah, because that's not true. We look like we did when Smith first came in when we beat Southampton and drew with wolves- i.e when we had most of our squad available.

• Like 1

No mention of Rupp in this discussion! Am I alone in thinking he was one of our better players prior to his injury? My defensive midfield 2 would be Rupp and Normann

• Like 2

The key to our future prosperity is not to play Kenny. I think if we had a mix of midfield from:

The starting three are from:

Sorensen, Normann as definites. And one from PLM and Gilmore.

Kenny has to be only considers if two of the above are up to their neck in plaster. 

14 minutes ago, Jersey Canary said:

The key to our future prosperity is not to play Kenny. I think if we had a mix of midfield from:

The starting three are from:

Sorensen, Normann as definites. And one from PLM and Gilmore.

Kenny has to be only considers if two of the above are up to their neck in plaster. 

The starting three?

We have only been playing two! And Gilmour definitely should not be one of those because of his lack of physicality.

If only we had a N'Golo Kante!

As Smith has repeatedly said, the midfield two is not necessarily here to stay. It worked well in the last two games but that doesn't mean it's the right formation for other oppositions. 

The double pivot in front of the back four does seem like a keeper. I think I'd be tempted, when Normann comes back, to stick with PLM and JLS in the pivot, and let Normann maraud around in front of them as a sort of 10. Would probably come at the cost of leaving Idah out, but against better sides than Watford and Everton, that might be a trade we need to make.

• Like 1

Newcastle interested in Choudury.  I don't think English Pl clubs will fall over themselves to allow Newcastle to poach players especially if needed, Saudi ownership must be a disadvantage to signing English players.  Wood had sellout clause obviously if one in contract they will go.  Lingard may get a move only 6 months left and United will not sell to W Ham or Spurs maybe Necastle for huge sum.

Re our midfield it will be strengthened by returnees, but next game is Cup game.  Suggest if fit Normann to get 60 mins to prepare for Palace same for Gilmour if Smith fancies him.  Lee Smellou has looked different player in this formation.  Sorensen unlucky with injury and Kenny on Friday did nothing wrong.  Selection a nice problem to have but need to keep playing this way

Need to include Idah to provide assistance to Pukki.

As soon as Kenny came on we lost anticipation, early tacking and passing ability. As a result the team couldn’t get out of their half. Against better teams as we’ve seen they take advantage, luckily Watford were not good enough. The warning lights were there for all to see in one match. 

• Like 1

Has to be Normann and Sorensen. Sorensen is the only traditional DM we have. Normann is more progressive. It was no coincidence we started to lose our way against Watford when Sorensen had to come off.  If one of them is out for any reason - PLM and Rupp come in. Anyone but McLean- he gives no goals, no assists, no killer pass or great tackling. What does he do?.

PLM has really stepped up recently. Personally I think you have to choose one of him and McLean as they don't compliment each other at all and right now PLM is playing better.

Sorenson or Normann seem the best bet to partner. So it does beg the question as to where Gilmour fits if he does at all.

Gilmour has always been the emperors new clothes. Lee Dixon spent the entire first half of him against England saying he was rubbish, by the end - for some reason as he was OK but not brilliant - everyone was saying he was amazing and I'm not sure why. Everyone joins in saying how good he is, because everyone else says how good he is. I have never seen him play a good game, ever. Average at best. (I don't watch Scotland apart from England game).

The dislike for McLean is over the top. He's OK, certainly not great, but OK. Athletically, he's decent, gets around the pitch, decent in air, tackles, physically competes but doesn't have a lot of quality with the ball. Put him next to someone who can compensate for that and he's OK, put him next to someone with similar weakness (PLM) and it falls apart.

Edited by All the Germans
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jonnyace1 said:

Anyone but McLean- he gives no goals, no assists, no killer pass or great tackling. What does he do?.

He throws his hands up in the air when he makes a bad pass, stops running then watches as Sargent scores a worldie.  Then tries to steal the limelight from a colleague when another is scored.  And some people on here still think he is good for the team!?😳