Sign in to follow this  
hepphep

Own goals

We've been really lucky lately with opponents scoring own goals! Or have we?
The old wisdom in sports say that you often create your own luck, and I think we are doing it here now.

When watching both own goals and other goals we have scored in last two games, it actually brings me fond memories from Farke's first promotion season. Back then, Aarons was often having runs very high up and causing havoc on positions where Pukki passed the first goal and where the own goals were created. That is something that I've missed ever since and we haven't been able to get into such situations for ages.

For a very long time, we have always been outnumbered inside opponent's box. Usually it has been lone Pukki against two central defenders there. Now that we have changed to two forwards and our wingers have become much more determined to run into box, we are either outnumbering their defenders or at least have equal numbers and getting upper hand due to the fact that we are moving towards their goal. First goal yesterday was prime example of that. When Pukki won the ball, there were two players already rushing towards the goal. When they were forced for own goal, Rashica was wide open, and would have likely scored without the own goal leading interception.

In addition, we do get to those places due to the fact that we are bit more direct and move faster in possession, instead of letting them setup their defensive unit inside the box while slowing moving the ball outside the danger zone.

Yes, there is always luck involved with own goals, but currently we are creating lots of that luck by our own actions. And I love it.

• Like 1

It would be better to see all the goals coming from our players as neither Keane nor Kucka will be involved in any more of our league  fixtures this season and ogs aren’t intentional (well not usually). However, in my opinion there is a positive about own goals: they can damage the mentality of the opposition, depending on the current score line. If a team is winning 4-0 and they score an og I don’t think it will have any effect as they would still have a three goal lead, but if they were only winning by a two goal margin at the time I think it could have an effect as the opposition would need just one goal to equalise

However, Everton gave us the lead with their og and Watford just extended our lead even further with their’s - which I think could cause humiliation

49 minutes ago, hepphep said:

We've been really lucky lately with opponents scoring own goals! Or have we?
The old wisdom in sports say that you often create your own luck, and I think we are doing it here now.

When watching both own goals and other goals we have scored in last two games, it actually brings me fond memories from Farke's first promotion season. Back then, Aarons was often having runs very high up and causing havoc on positions where Pukki passed the first goal and where the own goals were created. That is something that I've missed ever since and we haven't been able to get into such situations for ages.

For a very long time, we have always been outnumbered inside opponent's box. Usually it has been lone Pukki against two central defenders there. Now that we have changed to two forwards and our wingers have become much more determined to run into box, we are either outnumbering their defenders or at least have equal numbers and getting upper hand due to the fact that we are moving towards their goal. First goal yesterday was prime example of that. When Pukki won the ball, there were two players already rushing towards the goal. When they were forced for own goal, Rashica was wide open, and would have likely scored without the own goal leading interception.

In addition, we do get to those places due to the fact that we are bit more direct and move faster in possession, instead of letting them setup their defensive unit inside the box while slowing moving the ball outside the danger zone.

Yes, there is always luck involved with own goals, but currently we are creating lots of that luck by our own actions. And I love it.

Get dangerous balls in the box and you've always got a chance of something happening.

OTBC

19 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

Get dangerous balls in the box and you've always got a chance of something happening.

OTBC

Exactly. With two up front there is more reason and opportunity to cross into the box and the more you do it the better you get at it. Our second goal was from Rashica getting to the line and crossing it away from defenders and Sargent had the momentum. And the third goal showed what panic can do.