Just now, ged in the onion bag said:

Have you ever even kicked a football?   What utter tosh!   The chances of that being completely deliberate are literally nil!    Fair play to him, he did brilliantly to adjust and get some cushion on it but your statement suggests that all professional footballers are that 'brilliant', that technically gifted and of course they aren't, some are much more skillful than others.    Of course no don't you'll be complaining about them over the next few weeks as you have done plenty of times before. 

Played for 30 years, as a striker and tried and failed that many times. I'm telling you he meant that, anyone who has kicked a ball in anger will tell you that 100% 🙄

7 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Have you ever even kicked a football?   What utter tosh!   The chances of that being completely deliberate are literally nil!    Fair play to him, he did brilliantly to adjust and get some cushion on it but your statement suggests that all professional footballers are that 'brilliant', that technically gifted and of course they aren't, some are much more skillful than others.    Of course no don't you'll be complaining about them over the next few weeks as you have done plenty of times before. 

Not sure why you quite so aggressive, He did mean to do it.  It was instinctive, so it was likely to go badly wrong, but he clearly meant it.

He has not performed too well in earlier games, but this guy is a top level professional, his ball skills will be incredible, (in comparison to ours) but he is now performing at the highest level.  In terms of people moaning about him, that is an absolute certainty, most fans feelings are binary about football they either think everyone is amazing or they think they are awful - in truth often only the result really matters.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I honestly do think it’s a worldie , there are plenty of players on that pitch who wouldn’t have scored it.

To be fair, I think that’s the most skilful play I have seen from Sargent. The timing, meeting the ball well with the correct part of the foot from such an unusual leg position, directing the ball with power in the correct direction - all of that in an instant?

It’s a brilliant goal, and that it’s instinctive doesn’t take away from the ability he needs to have to execute it properly.

Since September until that moment the ball went over that line, Sargent would have fallen into your 'there are plenty of players on that pitch who wouldn't of scored it' category.   Funny that eh!   ....As i said, he adjusted really well to get something on it and luckily it managed to cushion enough to get under the bar.   The chances of that being intentional are very remote even giving the biggest benefit of doubt.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Since September until that moment the ball went over that line, Sargent would have fallen into your 'there are plenty of players on that pitch who wouldn't of scored it' category.   Funny that eh!   ....As i said, he adjusted really well to get something on it and luckily it managed to cushion enough to get under the bar.   The chances of that being intentional are very remote even giving the biggest benefit of doubt.

So if it wasn't intentional, then what pray tell was he intending to do? Put it out for a throw? Knock it back to Pukki? Absolute nonsense to think he wasn't intending to put the bloody thing in the back of the net. Yes it could have gone horribly wrong but even then the intention would still have been to score a bloody goal 🙄

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

So if it wasn't intentional, then what pray tell was he intending to do? Put it out for a throw? Knock it back to Pukki? Absolute nonsense to think he wasn't intending to put the bloody thing in the back of the net. Yes it could have gone horribly wrong but even then the intention would still have been to score a bloody goal 🙄

He blatantly was trying to blast the ball into row ZZ of the Watford stadium , the boys had all decided this in the warm up.
Bloody Sargent couldnt even manage this and scored.... twice... the moron. 🤔

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Nexus_Canary said:

He blatantly was trying to blast the ball into row ZZ of the Watford stadium , the boys had all decided this in the warm up.
Bloody Sargent couldnt even manage this and scored.... twice... the moron. 🤔

Bloody Sargent eh, accidentally scoring world class goals 🙄😂

Just now, Ken Hairy said:

Bloody Sargent eh, accidentally scoring world class goals 🙄😂

I’m just gutted he’s beaten RvW to manage not to be the worst signing we’ve ever made 

image.jpeg.9a4a85c8d4ed272344e160cf1d969b6f.jpeg

27 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

I don’t care if it was intentional. I mean who really cares? In the end it was a cracking goal. 

The point is that in order to get the contact with the ball good enough to even go in the correct general direction takes a lot of skill.

Great goals don’t have to be intentional, and it was a great goal, whether it was lucky, intended or not. Why do we have to try and put a negative slant on it? 

Yup its like the Brighton miss. He was told to do that by Sky so the season finale of "Premier League" is much more watchable. 
Who wants little ol nodge sitting pretty when they could be claiming all the ire of every work desperate ex pro footballer (sorry pundit).
Ours is a tale of coming from behind like Rocky, not domination.

14 hours ago, Mackrel829 said:

Anyone else surprised by the reaction to Sargent's goal? 

Don't get me wrong, I was delighted when it went in (then terrified for a moment when I thought it didn't, then delighted again when the ref said it did l, then terrified again when it went to VAR, then delighted again when it was confirmed). I also thought that Sargent had a fantastic game in general and looked a completely different player on the right. I thought he was excellent.

I've seen his goal described as 'a worldie', 'an audacious scorpion kick', and 'one of the best goals ever' and I have no idea how any of those things are even close to accurate.

His entire body was past the ball and the only way he could make contact was to throw a foot in its direction. It happened to make contact, the ball looped into the air, and it happened to drop in.

He did well to stay alive in the box, took up a good position/made a good near post run, and did what he had to do to get something on the ball. It wasn't any more than that though was it? I doubt he even really intended it to come off like that.

Disclaimers: I am very happy with the result, very happy with Sargent's performance, and like Sargent generally as a player.

This seems like an elaborate way of keeping the pretence up that somehow Josh Sargent isn’t a good footballer 

give it up fella 

I agree with many of the comments here.

I think there's some crossed wires about what exactly people mean by 'intentional' though. He absolutely intended to direct the ball toward the goal. He didn't intend to loop it into the top corner just under the bar though imo. That's why it's somewhat lucky rather than just skillful. It certainly wasn't entirely luck, and it did involve a lot of skill.

I also think the finish was the least impressive part about it. His desire and intelligence to stay alive in the box was great, as was the run to the near post. I like that annotated screenshot from Michael Bailey a lot. I'd probably even say his second goal was better too.

The other thing that confused me was people calling it a scorpion kick. That's not my understanding of what a scorpion kick is at all.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mackrel829 said:

I agree with many of the comments here.

I think there's some crossed wires about what exactly people mean by 'intentional' though. He absolutely intended to direct the ball toward the goal. He didn't intend to loop it into the top corner just under the bar though imo. That's why it's somewhat lucky rather than just skillful. It certainly wasn't entirely luck, and it did involve a lot of skill.

I also think the finish was the least impressive part about it. His desire and intelligence to stay alive in the box was great, as was the run to the near post. I like that annotated screenshot from Michael Bailey a lot. I'd probably even say his second goal was better too.

The other thing that confused me was people calling it a scorpion kick. That's not my understanding of what a scorpion kick is at all.

Keep digging…..

I don’t think anyone has quoted this piece yet from The Athletic in October last year (which surprises me a little given the pile on for Sargent we’ve seen before last night). Anyway, I don’t know too much about it, but I imagine his instinctive reaction for the goal is the sort of skill Soccerbot is intended to hone.

D89FC268-CB63-42A2-9A05-E3259D898D56.jpeg

Edited by Nuff Said
  • Thanks 2

Shearer "what a goal", not what a fluke, not he never meant that just a pure and simple "what a goal". 

But hey, just like Neville and Carragher last night, and me apparently never kicked a ball in our lives..... 🙈😉😏

3 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Shearer "what a goal", not what a fluke, not he never meant that just a pure and simple "what a goal". 

But hey, just like Neville and Carragher last night, and me apparently never kicked a ball in our lives..... 🙈😉😏

That’s because it was a fantastic goal, it was instinctive but you have to applaud it

one of the best goals ever scored by a Norwich player - not exaggerating 

2 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

That’s because it was a fantastic goal, it was instinctive but you have to applaud it

one of the best goals ever scored by a Norwich player - not exaggerating 

Don't tell me, tell young Gedda who's adamant it was some kind of back pass to Gunn gone wrong or something 😂

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

No, it was still skillful, but more lucky, I mean, erm, he did really well to adjust in under a second, but he obviously didn't plan ahead that he was going to do that 5 seconds before so it's not world class.

Instinctive brilliance, but at the same time he just happened to swing an absolutely perfectly timed leg at it, which caressed the ball in off the bar. Anybody would do the same in that situation, obviously.

Therefore it cannot be anything other than a fluke, which has absolutely nothing to do with the fact I might have prematurely judged Sarg to be our worst signing of all time and am now slightly concerned I might end up looking a bit of a **** if Josh bangs in 10 goals this season whilst bossing the wide positions.

Did I miss anything?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

I think you're right. But would've been the wrong option, Foster likely deals with it. Intelligent from Pukki, both on a slightly different wavelength. 

Foster wouldn't have dealt with it wherever it was played.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Ian said:

No, it was still skillful, but more lucky, I mean, erm, he did really well to adjust in under a second, but he obviously didn't plan ahead that he was going to do that 5 seconds before so it's not world class.

Instinctive brilliance, but at the same time he just happened to swing an absolutely perfectly timed leg at it, which caressed the ball in off the bar. Anybody would do the same in that situation, obviously.

Therefore it cannot be anything other than a fluke, which has absolutely nothing to do with the fact I might have prematurely judged Sarg to be our worst signing of all time and am now slightly concerned I might end up looking a bit of a **** if Josh bangs in 10 goals this season whilst bossing the wide positions.

Did I miss anything?

*Sargent, just inside the opponent's half, spots the keeper off his line and scores a 40 yarder that sneaks in off the bar*

That was more luck than skill. It was just instinctive because he saw the keeper off his line. Literally anyone would do the same in that position, he just kicked it really hard, that's all. He was lucky it didn't sail over the bar.

• Like 1

On 22/01/2022 at 21:41, ged in the onion bag said:

The chances of that being completely deliberate are literally nil! 

Did he intend to make contact with the ball? Yes. Was it deliberate? Correct.

By doing that, did he attempt to direct it towards goal? Here I think he instinctively knew if he had made good enough contact, there was a more-than-nil chance of it going on target.

Case dismissed. <Gavel bangs>

Edited by mrD66M
Incomplete sentence.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Lots of different point of views - a fluke, intentional, unintentional, instinctive. ? I thought it was sublime - the ball arrived behind him, he improvised & managed to flick the ball in - so displayed great technique. That first goal had the Hallmark of Robert Fleck, the 2nd that of Grant Holt, Chris Sutton or Roberts. He was always athletic but was ****-poor in front of goal but  the arrival of his baby seems to have transformed him. He has improved by the game - what next he dribbles past half a dozen and puts it in ?!

He has rewarded those posters on here that had patience in him and turned-around those who doubted he had any goal-scoring prowess (myself included) by performing on the pitch. 

On 22/01/2022 at 08:40, Mackrel829 said:

Anyone else surprised by the reaction to Sargent's goal? 

Don't get me wrong, I was delighted when it went in (then terrified for a moment when I thought it didn't, then delighted again when the ref said it did l, then terrified again when it went to VAR, then delighted again when it was confirmed). I also thought that Sargent had a fantastic game in general and looked a completely different player on the right. I thought he was excellent.

I've seen his goal described as 'a worldie', 'an audacious scorpion kick', and 'one of the best goals ever' and I have no idea how any of those things are even close to accurate.

His entire body was past the ball and the only way he could make contact was to throw a foot in its direction. It happened to make contact, the ball looped into the air, and it happened to drop in.

He did well to stay alive in the box, took up a good position/made a good near post run, and did what he had to do to get something on the ball. It wasn't any more than that though was it? I doubt he even really intended it to come off like that.

Disclaimers: I am very happy with the result, very happy with Sargent's performance, and like Sargent generally as a player.

If you want a laugh at the goal, look at Kenny mcleans reaction to his pass. Sums him up really. Hands on head 🤣

• Haha 1

I am now 110% positive he meant it ( as opposed to my previous 100%), as Andy Townsend has just slagged it off as a total fluke and him not having a scooby what he's doing. As the rule of thumb with Townsend is to go with the opposite of what he says then we now have irreputable proof that Sargent meant it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It was instinctive, and therefore had a degree of luck about it, but that doesn’t diminish it at all…most overheads/volleys similarly have an element of luck as they can at times go anywhere.  I imagine those questioning it would have been creaming themselves Had Emi scored the goal. 

• Like 1