Anyone else surprised by the reaction to Sargent's goal? 

Don't get me wrong, I was delighted when it went in (then terrified for a moment when I thought it didn't, then delighted again when the ref said it did l, then terrified again when it went to VAR, then delighted again when it was confirmed). I also thought that Sargent had a fantastic game in general and looked a completely different player on the right. I thought he was excellent.

I've seen his goal described as 'a worldie', 'an audacious scorpion kick', and 'one of the best goals ever' and I have no idea how any of those things are even close to accurate.

His entire body was past the ball and the only way he could make contact was to throw a foot in its direction. It happened to make contact, the ball looped into the air, and it happened to drop in.

He did well to stay alive in the box, took up a good position/made a good near post run, and did what he had to do to get something on the ball. It wasn't any more than that though was it? I doubt he even really intended it to come off like that.

Disclaimers: I am very happy with the result, very happy with Sargent's performance, and like Sargent generally as a player.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Mackrel829 said:

Don't get me wrong, I was delighted when it went in (then terrified for a moment when I thought it didn't, then delighted again when the ref said it did l, then terrified again when it went to VAR, then delighted again when it was confirmed). I also thought that Sargent had a fantastic game in general and looked a completely different player on the right. I thought he was excellent.

I've seen his goal described as 'a worldie', 'an audacious scorpion kick', and 'one of the best goals ever' and I have no idea how any of those things are even close to accurate.

His entire body was past the ball and the only way he could make contact was to throw a foot in its direction. It happened to make contact, the ball looped into the air, and it happened to drop in.

He did well to stay alive in the box, took up a good position/made a good near post run, and did what he had to do to get something on the ball. It wasn't any more than that though was it? I doubt he even really intended it to come off like that.

Disclaimers: I am very happy with the result, very happy with Sargent's performance, and like Sargent generally as a player.

I do understand your point, to a degree. I'm not sure I would describe it as a worldie (though my boy does).

However, he has put himself in there and kept going the whole game. 

That goal came from effort, effort and effort. And for that alone I thought it was beautifully executed.

• Like 1

He did very well to connect with it considering he was past the ball. It was a good finish in the circumstances, just connecting and not sending it flying is enough. He did very, very well and it was a lovely goal.

As for the 'best goal, worldie' comments, take it with a pinch of salt. I'm sure you can forgive people getting carried away last night. I've a slight headache this morning myself....

Edited by Flying Dutchman

3 minutes ago, Mackrel829 said:

Agree with you, it was completely instinctive and could have gone anywhere.  Still, a good finish but no way that degree of touch was possible intentionally at the speed he and the ball were moving.   The skill was more how he adapted his body.   Fair play, he deserved that.   

• Like 1

Have to disagree with the OP. If 

31 minutes ago, Mackrel829 said:

I have to disagree. Taking this statement, you discredit so many wonderful goals. In a lot of cases, especially with the spectacular and speculative, it's ensuring great technique and connection, and hitting the ball in the general direction of the goal. 

Take Sargent's goal for what it was, an instinctive and superb goal deserving of high acclaim. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

It probably wasn't as directly intentional as some of the other scorpion kicks we've seen in recent years (Giroud springs to mind) but he did incredibly well to even get that on target, let alone beat the keeper so I think he should take the acclaim even if it was just an instinctive flick of the leg. He desperately needed a bit of confidence, hopefully he's got that now!

It was definitely a worldie.

Don't get this argument that it was an "instinctive" decision to move a foot.

Football is played at such a fast pace that most special moments are "instinctive" surely. 

Every overhead kick is instinctive.

This is instinctive: 

Give the chap his dues for a class bit of improvisation.

One of this cup goals was also a good bit of improvisation to force the ball goalwards, he's clearly just got unpredictable goals in his locker, its a skill. He may have glaring weaknesses and limitations, but that doesn't mean we can point out some strengths too. 

Sargent scored a worldie.

If the OP is trying to say he didn’t intend to do it then I’d agree but he was there and it looked special.

I was hoping his first goal would be more like this “worldie” from Javier Hernandez. Probably my favourite goal of all time. The way he runs away after like he did on purpose is the best bit 😁

• Haha 1

As a striker you always 'intend' to score. I once scored a goal out at Stonham where my studs got caught in the ground resulting in the cutest, calmest little dink over the keeper you will ever see.

Now I think about it, I had a habit of tripping over myself too...

Personally, I don't really care if it was a worldie, a Dean Coney, a fluke or if he sacrificed a goat to get it. It went in. And thank f*ck for that.

OTBC

Edited by Disco Dales Jockstrap
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

If the OP is trying to say he didn’t intend to do it then I’d agree but he was there and it looked special.

I was hoping his first goal would be more like this “worldie” from Javier Hernandez. Probably my favourite goal of all time. The way he runs away after like he did on purpose is the best bit 😁

They all count, don't care how we score as long as we're scoring.

Carragher was very complimentary about it after the game. Sargent cushioned the ball with the outside of his right foot, taking all the pace off it - it doesn't go in without him doing this. 

It really was a brilliant, instinctive (and unexpected!) bit of skill. 

Edited by Fuzzar
  • Like 1

Genius or luck? Somewhere between the two.

He obviously stuck out his heel in an attempt to flick the ball towards goal, but the best he could do in that situation is just to direct it goalwards, which was difficult but he managed to do it. The fact it went into the top corner and off the underside of the bar was the lucky part.

• Like 1

In some ways its no different to Rooneys overhead kick for instance. The ball wasn't in the right place for the conventional shot or header so they assessed the situation and did was what needed to make contact. Neither was sure of the outcome but the outcome was spectacular. So lets just accept it was what it was and not spoil it, denigrate it or dismiss it.

I think if it had been a different Premier League player more known for technical ability, it'd be without question a 'worldie' 

So I'm giving Josh his dues -fantastic goal!

I suppose his second was a lucky goal too!! Credit where credit is due, his goals we’re both worldies and both had great teamwork in their locker. 

Edited by City 2nd

48 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

They all count, don't care how we score as long as we're scoring.

That’s been my mission statement all my life 😁

• Haha 1

It was clearly intentional WTF else was he trying to do? Improvising when the ball was behind him and that was the only way he get a strike on target.

A great goal IMO but if scored in the Championship the pundits would not be so excited about it!

14 minutes ago, city4eva said:

Anyone from the top 6 scoring that goal and we wouldn’t hear the end of it

To be fair, for once everyone is going on about it.

was even on bbc 6 music news, mini match report and interview with Josh and they don’t normally even mention football scores!

Where is it coming from though? Is it us, or is it everyone else?

For us read - watch Sargent every game, know what his level of ability is, watched this game and can put the goal in context/

Everyone else - didnt watch the game, have never heard of Josh Sargent - first exposure to him is this goal Out of context, it's a worldie.

OP has it spot on - this was an instinctive reflex goal. He threw a foot out in the hope of making contact - nothing more. It was a reflex that flookily pulled off. Seriously, I have scored similar goals.

Im delighted for Josh that his effort in this game paid off. But to see this being lauded as an intentional bit of skill is embarrassing. Like when people tried to make out that Donald Trump was always playing some kind of 4D game of chess rather than simply being reactive.

The fine margins of football.  Was it meant or a fluke? 🤷‍♂️  Stuff like that is why football is the best sport in the world.

Credit where credit is due. Great reaction to a ball going behind him and a definite attempt to hook it goalwards. Don't see anything other than an excellent goal given the circumstances. Normally those kinds of situations end up with the ball sailing over the bar and he had the deftness to give it a bit of control to keep it under the bar and into the net.  Superb goal really. 

This is an intentional 'brain-involving' piece of skill

Sargent's goal was a reflex (ie no brain involvement). Think of it like a goalkeepers save. Many of the best saves ever made have been reflexes - we call them world class because thats what goalkeepers train to do, get anything on it. They dont have time to think about judging the deftness of their touch or flight/trajectory of the ball. 

Sargent's touch was more like a save or a goal-line clearence. Intent is there but planning is not. Could have gone anywhere, unlike a piece of skill where the player has applied a thought-out technique and pulled it off.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Could have gone anywhere

But it didn't. It went in the goal.

Instinctive, fast reactions to reach the ball going behind him - and control to achieve the desire result. Don't think those kinds of goals are any the less value for that. The less time a player has to react, the harder the skill is.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

The American perspective

Not the  American perspective - an  American perspective. Didn't watch the whole thing, but I'm assuming it was made before our last couple of games.