Sign in to follow this  
Kenny Foggo

Dean Smith

30 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

We were shocking against Crystal Palace to be fair, and not much better against Villa,

But as I said, we were seriously short of players in those games. In particular, we should never have played the Villa game. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

11 points from 11 games with Smith.

5 points from 11 games with Farke.

He's made a difference alright...but the question is can he not only maintain his point a game average but also 'catch up' those lost points from earlier in the season? I still think 36 points + might be needed.

Get Normann back and fit for the rest of the season...maybe a couple of new loanies if others depart...?

Still a very tough ask and the chances are slight but Smith has given us a shot I don't think we had before.

OTBC

I think 33/34 may well be enough this season. Which is just as well because 6 wins gets us to that mark and any more than that looks a really big ask 

4 hours ago, CardiffCanary said:

Crunch Games like this we never won under dear Daniel…well, especially last season and this season.  B’mouth and Watford last season springs to mind.  I really feel like we won’t be bullied with our first 11 now.  Palace game I think we will not roll over this time!

To say that we didn't win crunch games last season when we cantered the Championship with a record club total of points is ridiculous. The home game against Brentford being just one of many cases.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

To say that we didn't win crunch games last season when we cantered the Championship with a record club total of points is ridiculous. The home game against Brentford being just one of many cases.

That's true, and absolutely fair enough. But it's also fair to say that Farke's teams often got bullied by bigger, stronger sides, Watford especially. 

I know there were mitigating circumstances, but those two defeats to Watford and Bournemouth at the end of last season did look concerning at the time. I remember thinking when Dimi was sent off vs Bournemouth, "this'll be a good Premier League test for us: can we defend a lead against a good side with ten men?" The answer wasn't pretty.

I should say that I loved, and still love, Daniel. No manager since Mike Walker has brought me such pleasure as a fan. But in important aspects, and especially in a PL relegation battle, DS is an upgrade. Under Daniel we weren't even in the battle.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

We won many under Daniel yes agreed … Leeds away being a fine example.  However Last season and this I did feel against our two premier league relegated teams, Watford at home this season for example we were beginning to lose more than we won.  I don’t want to start the farke v smith debate again!  It was just a comment based on a really good pragmatic crunch win … away !!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

Must bear in mind though I think we’ve played two of the only teams where you can get away with the 4-4-2 in these games. Which is fine as it shows we can do horses for courses but as Smith said we won’t be able to do it against other opponants. 

He said last night, we won’t be playing two up front against City

2 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

I think 33/34 may well be enough this season. Which is just as well because 6 wins gets us to that mark and any more than that looks a really big ask 

The bottom 4 have been uniquely bad this season. Could be that something like 30 points will be enough. Regardless we are in 17th. All we really have to do is be bettter than the teams behind us. Sure Burnley have five games in hand but they will get a packed schedule if they want to have time to play all those. They are 5 points behind but average something like 0.6 points per game so far this season.

14 hours ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Well done Sir... 

I said he and Skakey were the best signings we have made in a long time and that they would get the best out of players that Farke simply didn't understand.

Tippy tappy has gone out of the window at last and we now have top English management talking football that the players can understand.

6 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

The football isn't as easy on the eye as it was with Farke but it's more effective, more direct and more enjoyable. Deploying the fluid 4-4-2 has been a bit of a masterstroke and we've instantly seen step changes in performance levels from Adam and Josh.

We could still go down, but Webber certainly made the right decision sacking Farke.

Having a few years experience of watching Smith's football, he plays the based on the players he has and not just to a footballing philosophy. When/if Smith gets the opportunity to improve the squad he will then improve the style of football. He is a good enough manager to know how to get something out of the players he has at his disposal and taking into account the opposition. I think this is something that Farke lacked and why he was so good in the Championship but so bad in the PL. If Smith does keep u up this season then Webber et al will need to open the wallet for him in the summer or u may find it difficult to hang on to him

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I didn't see much attractive football under Farke this season, we looked dreadful and couldn't string three passes together.

Under Dean Smith the players just seem to understand what their role in the team is and to follow clear instructions. I'm not sure whether this is because he's taken it back to basics, or because Farke didn't really ever have much of a plan, I really hope its the former. 

Yes its all very well trying to play like Brazil but football is about results first. DS knows this, DF was to stubborn to change and was a defeatist. I can accept we are one of the teams likely be around the bottom of the PL as long as we compete like we do under DS and give it a good go. Our best game so far this season against a decent Watford side and so pleased for Josh and Ida, they look a threat at last