Sign in to follow this  
Ian

Kenny McLean

Comes on at 0-0, and we end up running away with a 0-3 victory. Absolutely unheard of, and the icing on the cake is that we doubled our away goal tally for the season in a single game.

I am sure that all the posters who said Kenny was responsible for our first half capitulation will agree he must also be responsible for our 3 goals in the second half. Ergo clearly our best midfield player.

Congratulations Kenny, for changing the match when you came on.

😇🤪

Edited by Ian
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Smith played him further forward 2nd half and he did well. Thought he was annonymous first half.

Lees-Melou played very well, laid everything on the line and took a right battering.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

Smith played him further forward 2nd half and he did well. Thought he was annonymous first half.

Lees-Melou played very well, laid everything on the line and took a right battering.

Think most of the team took a big battering just like they did against Everton. One big improvment I have noticed recently given one of the bigger complaints we have had is our lack of strength and getting bullied by other teams but recently we have both been able to stand firm but also give it back too. Love to see it.

• Like 1

Let’s be honest that pass for the first goal was abominable, Pukki did really well.

He was pretty much non existent, did nothing special and nothing wrong, but if Sorensen is fit, he starts ahead of McLean for me!

• Like 2

No! 

For gods sake man. 

Kenny is awful. 

Thats why the pinkun forum gurus slate him every waking minute. 

The pinkun forum posting football gurus know better than Smith, farke, and Clarke. 

And don't you forget it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Indy said:

Let’s be honest that pass for the first goal was abominable, Pukki did really well.

He was pretty much non existent, did nothing special and nothing wrong, but if Sorensen is fit, he starts ahead of McLean for me!

Agreed. Watford were very much on top until Sargent pulled that out of his locker, but they didn't have much to respond with after that. Lees-Melou is definitely showing signs of waking up now.

Let's hope Lungi's not got a bad one. He was really beginning to settle in and look the part, and it looked a nicely balanced combo with Lees-Melou.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Budapest Canary said:

No Kenny, no party!😉

No injury to Sorensen, no Kenny.

Smith didn't start him tonight.

Let’s be honest we won’t get away with that midfield combo again. But hopefully we won’t need to play it. 

Big fan of KM, I know it's all the rage to join the gang and criticise him but he has an ability that we need especially when going forward.

Good man. 

Great result

• Like 1

Just now, East Rider said:

Big fan of KM, I know it's all the rage to join the gang and criticise him but he has an ability that we need especially when going forward.

Good man. 

Great result

I think that's part of the issue to be fair. Going forward, his energy means he's always available for balls and to keep an attack going. The problem is, for all that ground-covering work rate he does have, he's very ineffective defensively and can leave a two-man midfield a shade unbalanced as a result. The combination with Lees-Melou doesn't work too well as in many ways, they're a bit too similar. There's an argument that you've the same problem with Rupp and Lees-Melou together as well.

I actually like the arm-pointing, he's trying to help teammates get into position and use his voice, but there's no doubt Sörensen picks up a lot more loose balls and wins a lot more tackles, and provides a more secure foundation for other midfielders to push on. He's a classic example of a player who is very good at Championship level, but can't quite step up.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

This is spot on

For anyone who didn't realise, the OP was meant to be a little ironic.

Lees-Melou has really sharpened up massively in the last couple of games, looking a bit more like the player we hoped to see.

25 minutes ago, Indy said:

The first goal, we should thank the idiot defender. He was fighting for the ball with Pukki and went down looking for the foul. Because he went down, the ball hit him on the back and remained in play, allowing Pukki to pass it to Sargant. Had the defender not gone down the ball would have gone out for either a corner or a goal kick. We got our just desserts from a bit of gamesmanship.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rock The Boat said:

The first goal, we should thank the idiot defender. He was fighting for the ball with Pukki and went down looking for the foul. Because he went down, the ball hit him on the back and remained in play, allowing Pukki to pass it to Sargant. Had the defender not gone down the ball would have gone out for either a corner or a goal kick. We got our just desserts from a bit of gamesmanship.

But well done Kenny for his god-like understanding of Watford's squad, and the game of football in general, to realise that this was a likely outcome and overhit the pass accordingly.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Indy said:

33 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Agreed. Watford were very much on top until Sargent pulled that out of his locker, but they didn't have much to respond with after that. Lees-Melou is definitely showing signs of waking up now.

Let's hope Lungi's not got a bad one. He was really beginning to settle in and look the part, and it looked a nicely balanced combo with Lees-Melou.

With Gilmour, Rupp and Normann back in time for our next game I dont think Sorensen will be anywhere near a starting place. I also don't think Kenny will start, but will play more than Sorensen. 

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

With Gilmour, Rupp and Normann back in time for our next game I dont think Sorensen will be anywhere near a starting place. I also don't think Kenny will start, but will play more than Sorensen. 

The funny thing is, I'd take Sörensen over the first two as Rupp and Gilmour are essentially more attacking midfielders (Rupp's got more pace than Gilmour and has decent positioning defensively, but isn't going to win tackles on a regular basis), but not Normann. If Lees-Melou wasn't showing signs of really getting to grips with matters, I'd even be thinking Sörensen and Normann would be a midfield two worth trying.

Lees-Melou's looking like the one who's catching form now. McLean provides us with a fair bit, but not necessarily defensively - and a central midfield pairing of him and Lees-Melou looks unbalanced. That's not decrying their abilities as players, it's commenting on the combination they are and how it works in the team.

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Indy said:

Keep an eye on McLean when you watch the highlights for the first goal. His reactions to a) mis-hitting the pass, b) being in space and c) JS scoring were all hilarious!

Edited by Yellow and Green

24 minutes ago, Ian said:

For anyone who didn't realise, the OP was meant to be a little ironic.

Lees-Melou has really sharpened up massively in the last couple of games, looking a bit more like the player we hoped to see.

He really seems to have turned a corner. Amazing what a bit of confidence can do!

49 minutes ago, fredherring said:

No! 

For gods sake man. 

Kenny is awful. 

The pinkun forum posting football gurus know better than Smith, farke, and Clarke. 

And don't you forget it. 

Pipe down Bill 👍

19 minutes ago, Ian said:

But well done Kenny for his god-like understanding of Watford's squad, and the game of football in general, to realise that this was a likely outcome and overhit the pass accordingly.

I agree he fooled everybody clever thinking and people actually think he f**ked up that pass. 🙃and to cap it all all three goals scored when he was on. Well done Kenny and the rest of the team. 3-0 away . What's not to like .

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Did not notice he was on the pitch but for once I don't think I can complain 😂

Did you actually watch the game?

Nice little ball down the side from Kenny to Rashica in the build up to our second seems to have gone largely unnoticed. 

(and great cross from Rashica with his wrong foot as well).

Edited by Thirsty Lizard

2 hours ago, fredherring said:

No! 

For gods sake man. 

Kenny is awful. 

And don't you forget it. 

People at the game were also slating him-at least the bloke behind me was!