Sign in to follow this  
Heading South

Where is Todd ?

Smith and Shakey are now not picking him for the bench 

Something has gone seriously wrong from PL player to not getting in the squad hardly playing all season ?

If he wants a move away would it not be better to show how good you are on the pitch ?

best thing we as a club can do is sell him , he is no good to us as he does not play so we are not going to miss him 

problem is football is a small world and and maybe thats why we are not getting any bids ?

None of us really know what’s been going on or the reasons why, but in the absence of any clarification from the Club or player we’re bound to speculate on the reasons why we have someone alleged to be on a salary of more than a million pounds a year for apparently not doing his job.  The whole situation is frankly ridiculous and I think the overwhelming majority of supporters have grown rather tired of the saga.  He used to be a good footballer, but if he carries on like this his next move is more likely to be stacking shelves in Dereham Tesco than playing for a “big” club.

15 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

best thing we as a club can do is sell him

Living in cloud cuckoo land if you think anybody will want to buy him, he's a bag egg and nobody wants him including Dean Smith.

Farke relegated him to the U23s, Smith doesn't pick him for the bench, Bothroyd went public to basically tell him to sort himself out if he wanted to play for the England U21s.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

nobody wants him including Dean Smith.

Not sure that is the case, having taken him to Watford last night.

If he didn't want him he could easily remove him from the first team squad. I beleive he was training with the u23, and had his first team locker removed when under Farke. 

Shame for the City coffers and the project but it looks as though the ship has sailed in terms of Todd moving to a big club. Unless it's with us I cannot even see him playing Premier League football.

When Rowe is selected ahead of him even for a place on the bench you know it's nothing to do with ability or fitness.

I'm not even sure it's worth extending his contract - £1m a year and Saturdays off.

1 minute ago, Greavsy said:

If he didn't want him he could easily remove him from the first team squad. I beleive he was training with the u23, and had his first team locker removed when under Farke. 

Ridiculous that he would put Cantwell anywhere near our youngsters. 

He'll rock up to U23 training in his Lambo, talk about his private jet flights in the summer, and then put minimal effort into training... what message does that send to our 18 year olds, who are looking at 23/24 year old Cantwell in admiration, and then following the low bar he sets in training.

What was Farke thinking.

If he had a bad attitude/was trying to get away etc then I don’t see why he’d be in and around the team and taken to Watford last night.

That said, I don’t see why he’s there anyway if they have no intention of playing him or putting him in the team, it shows he is fit and available.

It’s all just weird contrary behaviour on all sides, which just creates more speculation rather than less.

Edited by Jambomo
  • Like 1

What if he no longer wants to be a footballer?  Maybe, deep down, he never wanted to do it in the first place.  Perhaps he really wanted to be:

A lumberjack!  

Leaping from tree to tree, down the mighty rivers of British Columbia. With his best girl at his side. The larch, the pine, the giant redwood.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

1 minute ago, Greavsy said:

i would of thought Smith would have given him a clean slate when he came in 

I think smith and Everyone would want a full fit fully focused  cantwell even supporters etc

i think the squad has moved on now getting a couple of wins without him you are either going to fight for the shirt of get left behind sadly that looks like what has happened 

12 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

What if he no longer wants to be a footballer?  Maybe, deep down, he never wanted to do it in the first place.  Perhaps he really wanted to be:

A lumberjack!  

Leaping from tree to tree, down the mighty rivers of British Columbia. With his best girl at his side. The larch, the pine, the giant redwood.

Sounds OK tbh. He could have buttered scones for tea, press some wild flowers in the afternoon and maybe wear some high heels of an evening if it takes his fancy?

OTBC

Edited by Disco Dales Jockstrap
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

i would of thought Smith would have given him a clean slate when he came in 

I think smith and Everyone would want a full fit fully focused  cantwell even supporters etc

i think the squad has moved on now getting a couple of wins without him you are either going to fight for the shirt of get left behind sadly that looks like what has happened 

Exactly, he can't complain DS hasn't given him a chance. Possibly a bit too soon initially and DS has admitted that, but he has given another. Please we dont see training, be he should be first in, last out, and really proving a point. 

I think he likes the money, and the attention, the (social) media (on hiss terms) but not the hard work required. Typical millennial! 😊 

• Like 1

Just now, Fuzzar said:

He's unfollowed us on Instagram apparently. 

Im sure the club are gutted!

He shows no interest in playing for us, so, why should his socials be any different?

1 hour ago, Naturalcynic said:

A lumberjack!  

Having watched him in the training vid he can barely swing his leg - no way will he be able to swing an axe!

3 hours ago, AJ said:

Todd was told he needs to train consistently for a period of time or he won't be selected, so I assume he hasn't been doing that

Same thing that Farke said. That had a bunch of players blaming Farke, implying that he was´bullying deear old Todd just to use as a scapegoat. If two very different managers says you arent training well enough maybe its the player who has a problem. Farke talked about how you cant be injured then come back and train for one week and immeditately get back in the team. He wanted to see Cantwell dedicated for several weeks.

Tbh I'm a little shocked at the level of abuse he gets on here. He's been a good player for us up until this season.

Yes, it is clear that this season something has gone very wrong and there is almost no chance he is here in six months time.  However, none of us know what the issue is. It could be mental health issues, a recurring injury, personal problems or literally countless other things.

The cause of the problems is completely speculative and it surprises me how many people quickly say he is a **** and suggest he is being malicious to the club or purposely training badly. He has absolutely no motivation to act that way and if he was trying to leave, he would be trying his best to keep fit and put himself in the shopping window for when his contract ends.

Edited by HertsCanary93
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, HertsCanary93 said:

Tbh I'm a little shocked at the level of abuse he gets on here. He's been a good player for us up until this season.

Yes, it is clear that this season something has gone very wrong and there is almost no chance he is here in six months time.  However, none of us know what the issue is. It could be mental health issues, a recurring injury, personal problems or literally countless other things.

It surprises me how many people quickly say he is a **** and suggest he is being malicious to the club or purposely training badly. He has absolutely no motivation to act that way and if he was trying to leave, he would be trying his best to keep fit and put himself in the shopping window for when his contract ends.

In the complete absence of any clarification whatsoever from player or club, speculation amongst supporters is inevitable.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, shruk4 said:

Same thing that Farke said. That had a bunch of players blaming Farke, implying that he was´bullying deear old Todd just to use as a scapegoat. If two very different managers says you arent training well enough maybe its the player who has a problem. Farke talked about how you cant be injured then come back and train for one week and immeditately get back in the team. He wanted to see Cantwell dedicated for several weeks.

Looking forward to seeing your evidence of this.

(Source: The Athletic)

This was posted in Ornstein's transfer mailbag on January 7th.

"After Daniel Farke’s team were relegated, Cantwell probably would have got a switch had it not been for the market uncertainty created by COVID-19. Despite relations with the Norwich hierarchy becoming strained, he played a significant role in securing an immediate return to the top flight and would have been expected to shine again this season. Unfortunately for both parties, that did not happen under Farke and nor has it since the German was replaced as head coach by Dean Smith — not helped by a family health issue that affected Cantwell’s availability for a period of time."

Clearly there is a background issue affecting him which shouldn't be speculated about in the public domain and hence the 'illness' route both Farke and Smith have taken. The sooner he gets a move away from the club the better for all parties really. Hopefully whatever the real reason, it clears up for everyone. 

47 minutes ago, HertsCanary93 said:

The cause of the problems is completely speculative and it surprises me how many people quickly say he is a **** and suggest he is being malicious to the club or purposely training badly. He has absolutely no motivation to act that way and if he was trying to leave, he would be trying his best to keep fit and put himself in the shopping window for when his contract ends.

Hmmm, can't help but feel that if there were significant mitigating factors for Cantwell's failure to get fit and stay fit the club would have said so in order to take the heat off him / protect him from fans. That hasn't happened, we've just had Dean Smith say that when he arrived at the club Cantwell didn't have the required fitness levels; and that made little sense as he had plenty of time between his injury and Smith's arrival to get himself in good shape.

I suppose it could be personal problems, but with the greatest of respect that is going to be of little consolation if come May we get relegated by 1 or 2 points and we've been paying a player to fill up their Lambourghini with petrol and to pay for his private jet charter this summer with very little in return. Will relegation result in redundancies and put hardship on any football club employees with kids to feed and mortgages to pay, just to keep this conversation in the real world?  

You would think that a player who wanted a move would keep themselves for a medical wouldn't you, but there are plenty of people with a lack of common sense, and frankly if asked to pick 3 from our squad that are strong candidates for lacking common sense... I'd definitely be using one of the 3 slots for Cantwell. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

2 minutes ago, Bovril said:

Clearly there is a background issue affecting him which shouldn't be speculated about in the public domain and hence the 'illness' route both Farke and Smith have taken. The sooner he gets a move away from the club the better for all parties really. Hopefully whatever the real reason, it clears up for everyone. 

I fail to see the connection between having a family health issue and needing to move to a club away from his family. Can somebody explain that to me?

If he is affected by a family issue, how would moving to Newcastle or Leeds help? Wouldn't that make it worse? 

Perhaps Dereham Town should sign him then he will be big fish in small pool.Sooner he goes the better

Trouble is from a club and a fans perspective it's looking farcical. Every game come sand its a completely different reason why he's hot playing, in the squad etc etc.

4 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

He's finished, washed up, pointless even extending his deal.

If he's looking for a dream move to match his ego, Dereham need a midfielder

Just now, Mullet said:

If he's looking for a dream move to match his ego, Dereham need a midfielder

Hoolahan can't play twice a week so Cambridge might fancy him for mid-week games, and as an 88th minute sub so Wes can get his applause?

1 hour ago, Bovril said:

Clearly there is a background issue affecting him which shouldn't be speculated about in the public domain

That's a good one. I may call in sick to work on Monday week with that.

"Hi is that work? I've got a background issue which shouldn't be speculated in the public domain....."

Edited by Chelm Canary
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HertsCanary93 said:

All well and good but things like unfollowing the club across social media smacks of petulant behaviour. I think it’s understandable that fans might look at that through the prism of the season and draw their own conclusions. 

This saga is getting very silly , it’s about time the club is honest with us and tell us exactly what has gone on with him over the last few months , there is obviously a problem somewhere , is it mental or physical, 

To answer the thread title: who cares anymore?

Why the hell are we still paying him? Just another of football's ridiculous flaws that a player with a shocking attitude problem who also doesn't want to play for his club is still entitled to be paid thousands a week.

The facts as they seem,are,if you are Rowe and you are working your butt of in training and doing your best to impress your boss and you have a seasoned pro not doing the same,if he was picked above you for the last place on the bench,you would think to yourself why should I bother. And I believe all the other players would feel the same.