Sign in to follow this  
Heading South

Where is Todd ?

1 minute ago, Heading South said:

Is he injured or just not up to speed yet .

He's there and was walking round the pitch with the other players at 7pm ish.

Connor said he's fit but wasn't selected ahead of Kenny & Rowe on bench 

If Todd can’t get in against fellow promoted team and relegation rival, when does he play?

5 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

He's travelled, he's fit, he's available, but Smith has simply left him out of the 18.

That's the official line anyway. I have no idea what's true and what's not with Cantwell; it's all smoke and mirrors.

Its worse than that...theres 20 in the matchday squad and he seemingly cant get into it ahead of Placheta Dowell or even Rowe. Theres something gone badly wrong

3 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Its worse than that...theres 20 in the matchday squad and he seemingly cant get into it ahead of Placheta Dowell or even Rowe. Theres something gone badly wrong

Yeah, I realised after I posted that it's 20 now. Old habits die hard.

It is indeed worrying for him that an untried teenager who plays in the same position is ahead of him in the pecking order.

9 minutes ago, Mr Tea said:

Well ???

what happened last night ? 

Selection issues. He had a word with dean and the new from villa coach during the warm ups and was sat in the stands watching the match. Could be seen a couple times during the match.

Something strange is going on if a fully fit a very-recent Eng u21 player with PL experience is continually out of the starting XI, let alone the match day squad, whoever it is.  

When was the last time Todd performed to the levels we know he can play at? 

It seems there is too much clutter in his career. He needs to knuckle down and focus. 

It might already be too late for him here and for what he might have become. 

5 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Sick of him to be honest 

Career is only going one way. He'll regret it one day.

Then he'll do the rounds with his sob story on all the footy podcasts when he's washed up at 29. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Michael bailey said in his match review that it had been said Todd hasn't been training well enough 🤷

I know it was only 10 minutes clip, But the training session video this week made him look well off the pace

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Something strange is going on if a fully fit a very-recent Eng u21 player with PL experience is continually out of the starting XI, let alone the match day squad, whoever it is.  

To be fair, he's almost 24 so was an overaged player, only got 3 caps and basically got told by Aidy Bothroyd to knuckle down if he wanted anymore.

https://www.pinkun.com/sport/norwich-city/england-u21-aidy-boothroyd-todd-cantwell-7827460

Dowell is a few months older and has 17 under 21 caps (and is also struggling to get a kick).

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Michael bailey said in his match review that it had been said Todd hasn't been training well enough 🤷

He's finished, washed up, pointless even extending his deal.

3 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Extended the deal will mean we potentially will get a fee, if anyone comes in. 

The downside is we will be lumbered with wages etc for another year if no one does. 

If his training isn't up to the levels required then why even take him to away games. Give a youngster a chance to experience it. 

Todd was told he needs to train consistently for a period of time or he won't be selected, so I assume he hasn't been doing that

2 minutes ago, AJ said:

Todd was told he needs to train consistently for a period of time or he won't be selected, so I assume he hasn't been doing that

So why is he in the traveling squad? 

3 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Maybe one of the other seniors had a niggle so he was there as backup in case it flared up before kick-off?

11 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Extended the deal will mean we potentially will get a fee, if anyone comes in. 

The downside is we will be lumbered with wages etc for another year if no one does. 

He's got to pass a medical to sign for another club and if he's well off the required fitness level for a professional footballer without any good reason to be so far behind, then that would be a justification for pulling the deal, especially if you are Liverpool and were hoping he could jump straight in for AFCON cover. 

The same applies for any club looking to avoid relegation, like Newcastle, or any club in and around the European qualification places. In January you want players that address a particular need, you don't want a player to be ready by late-March.

If he's wanting out of Norwich he's going about it a very strange way. He's surely turning off any admirers by his social media drama and his failure to secure a place on a Norwich City bench. 

He's f*cking up his career, and it is his own doing. I don't really care anymore, just want him off the books, somebody should tell him that coaches and players at Norwich considered Chris Llewellyn to be our best young player at one point despite being the same age as Craig Bellamy, we turned down Premier League offers for him, and he played most of his football in League One.

Just got a sense that lots of people have tried to get through to him and it has failed, from our perspective he's a write off. If I could bet on Cantwell playing a League One game within 4 years and a League Two game within 6 years I would. 

He's done, and who really cares. Would have been nice to squeeze some money out of Newcastle or something to fund some transfer business, but in terms of the players I only care about the ones who give 100% to the badge. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I've got no interest in speculating on the reasons why he's nowhere near the team at the moment. Perhaps we'll never know.

The good thing is that, from a wider NCFC perspective it doesn't matter that much. He's not really the player that we need for the way Smith is setting us up. The wide players need to have a much better engine than Todd has, and while we miss the skill and vision he has at his best, Milot and Josh are easily the better fit for what DS wants to do.

I hope Todd can get back to full fitness (whatever that means) because I think he has a lot to offer. But in the light of the last couple of games his situation just doesn't have the urgency it did. Much more keen to see Normann, Rupp and Krul back.

Edited by Robert N. LiM
Typo

54 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Absolutely agree. Had enough of the jumped up little ****. Never really warmed to him like others have anyway, think it's because he took that number 14 shirt and he's no where near good enough to carry that (maybe a stupid reasons for how my dislike grew but it just didn't help me get behind him) 

36 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Todd's the current bundle o' chuckles and squad morale elevator extraordinaire......(That's only until Hugill returns).....

Jokin' apart, I really like Todd and although I don't know the reasons or the problems to why he's not playing, I sadly do feel disappointed that even if he wants away he's not displaying his capability and knucklin' down and doing what he's paid to do.....

You'd think if he is short of match fitness he'd be playing with the U23's, trying to regain match fitness, get his way back into the team, or even at least impress scouts from other teams.

He's barely kicked a ball all season and that is going to raise serious questions amongst potential suitors. Its like he's not even bothered about football full-stop.

If he wants out he needs to impress someone enough for them to buy him - he's doing the exact opposite. It makes no sense at all