cambridgeshire canary

So is Putin going to invade Ukraine anytime soon or..?

2 minutes ago, Herman said:

You'll have to forgive me in not really giving a toss what you say today Buh.

Back to Twitter you go. Go and have a look at what Botox Biden is up to lad.

Trump was a d1ck head, Boris is a bumbling idiot but your boy Biden is

f@££ing

useless

and trump will get back in. Americans won’t stand for four more years of this this freeze dried, plastic surgery, Alzheimer’s ridden decomposing corpse.

• Haha 1

So is Putin going to invade Ukraine anytime soon or..?

Well the answer was always YES. Putin even explained his mindset a few days ago that he doesn't regard Ukraine as a proper country (just a district of Russia) but still many wished for the best despite all the evidence to the contrary. Some still believe this will be a limited invasion - only if Kyiv in effect surrenders.

The UK sanctions were derisible yesterday - I can only guess whispers from City folk and their influencers must have had an effect.  Well today it has to be the whole smash surely. SWIFT and the lot. All too late though.

Putin only ever understands force, and so far we've been timid - indeed Putin knows that every time we'll find an excuse not to confront him.

Well we can choose - do we want to play at home tomorrow or away today. Time to call Putin's bluff.

Oh for some proper leadership like Blair. He could take the tough unpopular decisions.

Edited by Yellow Fever

2 hours ago, Well b back said:

Apparently now attacking from Belarus as well as the East.

This is a sad day.

6 Russian jets shot down, 50 Russian troops killed by Ukrainians forces in the last hour.

Not all bad news. Seriously though, dark days indeed. Darkest days for Europe since world war 2. When I made this thread I did not think it would go this far, all thought it was Putin being Putin, Russia being Russia and whatever issue would be sorted out. Guess I should have known better 

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

The resolve of the US and rest of Europe will be put to the test, but the bottom line is we really don't give a **** because it isn't us that's getting bombed.

China has severely weakened US And European economies by unleashing a virus tantamount to a bad cold, and will give Russia all the support they can.

No one, otherthan Ukraine, will lay a finger on Russian troops as they don't have the stomach for a fight. Christ, if this forum is anything to go by I see more outrage against Johnson and Biden than against what Putin is doing.

The only hope is the Russian people don't want Putin to isolate them again and they lose what freedoms they have become accustomed to. I suspect he will just kill them too.

A sad day, but sadly inevitable.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

The resolve of the US and rest of Europe will be put to the test, but the bottom line is we really don't give a **** because it isn't us that's getting bombed.

China has severely weakened US And European economies by unleashing a virus tantamount to a bad cold, and will give Russia all the support they can.

No one, otherthan Ukraine, will lay a finger on Russian troops as they don't have the stomach for a fight. Christ, if this forum is anything to go by I see more outrage against Johnson and Biden than against what Putin is doing.

The only hope is the Russian people don't want Putin to isolate them again and they lose what freedoms they have become accustomed to. I suspect he will just kill them too.

A sad day, but sadly inevitable.

It’s a demonstration of how neutered the west is

cant wait to hear how weak sauce the sanctions are against Russia.

What’s illuminating as well is the muted response from the opposition on how weak they have been. China and Russia are in all the politicians pockets it’s grotesque.

all the illegally obtained Russian property in London should be on Rightmove by this afternoon. The Russian embassy in London should be totally gutted, get rid of all of them. None of this will happen. Any individuals targeted with sanctions will be given a manual on how to avoid those sanctions. It’s all so pathetic.

NATO needs to act quickly and decisively. War in Europe is now inevitable and the only question is when. The longer it takes for the war to begin, the longer and more horrific the war will be.

The time for sanctions is over. 

Putin isn't stopping at Ukraine.

This is 1938. Appeasement and tolerance is not an option. History will repeat unless we learn its lessons.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

"A quarrel in a far away country between people of whom we know nothing".

Hmmm, now where have I heard that before

4 minutes ago, kick it off said:

This is 1938. Appeasement and tolerance is not an option. History will repeat unless we learn its lessons.

?

Appeasement of Russia began in 1944/5 at the Potsdam and Yalta conferences. Despite the pledges that the British govt made to Poland in 1939 we appeased Stalin by giving him Eastern Poland at the Yalta Conference. Churchill took a lead in this by agreeing with Stalin a "spheres of influence" agreement at Potsdam.

The historical truth is that Chamberlain saved the UK from being defeated in 1940 by buying time in 1938. The real appeasement was Churchill's in 1944/5.

6 minutes ago, ricardo said:

"A quarrel in a far away country between people of whom we know nothing".

Hmmm, now where have I heard that before

Chamberlain 1939. Before my time (not my father and mother) but apt.

3 minutes ago, Badger said:

?

Appeasement of Russia began in 1944/5 at the Potsdam and Yalta conferences. Despite the pledges that the British govt made to Poland in 1939 we appeased Stalin by giving him Eastern Poland at the Yalta Conference. Churchill took a lead in this by agreeing with Stalin a "spheres of influence" agreement at Potsdam.

The historical truth is that Chamberlain saved the UK from being defeated in 1940 by buying time in 1938. The real appeasement was Churchill's in 1944/5.

I was talking about the appeasement of Hitler. Hence 1938.

Well aware of the soviet history and allied betrayal of Poland, given my family are from Bydgoszcz. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Well aware of the soviet history and allied betrayal of Poland, given my family are from Bydgoszcz. 

One side of my family, passed many years ago, WALKED as a child from Odessa to here! Sadly man's inhumanity to man.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kick it off said:

The British, in particular, betrayal of Poland is not very well known on these shores I'm afraid as it does not play well with the Churchill myth - obviously with Polish descent you will know about it far more than most Britons.

The appeasement of Hitler predated 1938. Without going into the full detail (although I am happy to) by 1938 Chamberlain had no choice at Munich in 1938. He made the deal with Hitler and "bought time" but went back an stepped up further the rearmament programme*. Britain would have lost the Battle of Britain if it had taken place a year earlier in 1939 because many of the planes we fought it with were built after Munich - we would have not been able to do this if it hadn't been for Chamberlain. It is fait to say that he did far more to save Britain that Churchill ever did.

* A lot of the weakness of British forces stem from Churchill's time at the Treasury where made big cuts in defence spending and "semi-perpetuated" these with the "permanent" adoption of the 10 year rule in 1928, which extended his cuts well after he left office. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

One side of my family, passed many years ago, WALKED as a child from Odessa to here! Sadly man's inhumanity to man.

When did they they do this?

1 minute ago, Badger said:

When did they they do this?

Early 20th century - RIP Rick (anglicized). Think of the pogroms. Brother became a quite famous WW2 war artist! My children will one day have the odd piece of real history on their walls. Although I'm 100% Norfolk the chats I have had with these people in my 20s are a privilege, their trials and tribulations and their humanity. That's why I detest people who judge others simply by race or creed.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Early 20th century - RIP Rick (anglicized). Think of the pogroms. Brother became a quite famous WW2 war artist! My children will one day have the odd piece of real history on their walls. Although I'm 100% Norfolk the chats I have had with these people in my 20s are a privilege, their trials and tribulations and their humanity. That's why I detest people who judge others simply by race or creed.

Thanks. A real privilege 👍

You must write it down so that the knowledge isn't lost to your descendants and society in general!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

Americans won’t stand for four more years of this this freeze dried, plastic surgery, Alzheimer’s ridden decomposing corpse.

I think the same line is probably more apt for the previous administration? Except the previous incumbent was powdercoated RAL2000.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Right on cue, here's Arron Banks 

It's the EU's fault

🤣

https://leftfootforward.org/2022/02/totally-deluded-arron-banks-and-nigel-farage-blame-the-eu-over-putins-aggression/

"Arron Banks and Nigel Farage have been accused of ‘pushing Putin’s line’ as the pair sought to blame the EU for President Vladimir Putin’s aggression towards Ukraine."

Perhaps we should have a referendum on whether Lord and Lady Haw Haw (aka Banks and Farage) should be stripped of their British citizenship on grounds of treachery. I believe Kim Philby's old flat in Moscow is still vacant.

https://www.history.com/news/ukrainian-famine-stalin

I despise totalitarianism. Left wing and ring wing. And what Stalin did in Ukraine in the name of collectivism and “seizing the means of production” during the holodomor is horrendous. When I see Ukraine citizens ready to die to defend the country even in the nearly insurmountable odds I get it because this is in their national psyche.

You let the political fringes run wild and, yeah. Genocide. Every time.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, kick it off said:

NATO needs to act quickly and decisively. War in Europe is now inevitable and the only question is when. The longer it takes for the war to begin, the longer and more horrific the war will be.

The time for sanctions is over. 

Putin isn't stopping at Ukraine.

Unless the Ukrainian army performs a micrale then the Ukraine is gone or at least Russia leaning. No way Nato can builid up a force to confront Russia in the short term, but long term and I'm talking 2 decades worth of financial commitment to deployed a serious number of permanent armed forces along eastern Europe

Russia will continue to seed sedation within countries with Russian leaning citizens giving out passports etc.

Putin has been planning this for years. The disinformation campaigns on Twitter and Facebook and the morons (RTB) in this country who have lapped it up. The West is now weak, disjointed, addicted to dirty cash and helpless. This is as much a crisis of capitalism and democracy as it is of Russia/Ukraine. This is how revolutions start and quite frankly its scary.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kick it off said:

My paternal Grandfather was from Russia but apparently he was a really horrible man and beat his children, my father particularly. I have had no desire to seek out his history. And do not feel one iota of attachment to him or Russia.

• Like 1

Taking one of Putin's arguments that he saw NATO on his doorstep as unacceptable. If he annexes the whole of Ukraine then NATO will still be on his border.

Regime change is obviously foremost in his intentions. For four years from 2014, there was a pro Russian administration. So I guess the tactic may be to stir up the non Ukraines in the country and scare the Ukraines and end up with a Pro Russian administration again.

Just now, keelansgrandad said:

Regime change is obviously foremost in his intentions. For four years from 2014, there was a pro Russian administration. So I guess the tactic may be to stir up the non Ukraines in the country and scare the Ukraines and end up with a Pro Russian administration again.

Want to see the future of Ukraine if Putin get's his way?

Look at Belarus, Russia in all but name.

• Like 1