cambridgeshire canary

So is Putin going to invade Ukraine anytime soon or..?

34 minutes ago, nevermind, neoliberalism has had it said:

you are nothing but a shill for the 3rd. Reich coming.

Which direction is this "3rd Reich" coming from?

2 minutes ago, kirku said:

Which direction is this "3rd Reich" coming from?

Down the A47

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, nevermind, neoliberalism has had it said:

you are nothing but a shill for the 3rd. Reich coming.

So that would be the 4th Reich? 

Sorry I just need to know what one I'm supposed to be ushering in.

Edited by 1902

32 minutes ago, nevermind, neoliberalism has had it said:

Funny that did you during the last eight years speak of any brutal attacks by Ukrainians on their brother? did that somehow not register because your fav. tabloid dare not speak up of it.

Free speech..Why is it you think that de classified papers in the public eye can't be shared on FB? you can't criticise the breaking of agreed chemical weapons research conventions by the west, researching bio/chemical weapons in more than one eastern European ex Warsaw pact country? why do you thing you can get 53 weeks prison for being too loud on a demonstration practicing your free speech trying to get heard over the din of practicing war birds above?

There is no more free speech unless you take it and suffer the consequences of speaking your mind.

That's a rather bizarre little rant that I fear makes little sense. It certainly doesn't explain why you have adopted a pro-Putin attitude yet express unmitigated horror at crimes committed by right-wing Ukrainians in the past. And for your info I don't read tabloids, nor have a favourite one. And, indeed, I have criticised past right-wing Ukrainian regimes, that's why I was so pleased to see the people of Ukraine democratically vote to replace a right-wing corrupt regime for the current one. I find it a surprise that you think it acceptable for Putin to overturn the will of the Ukrainian population in  such a disgustingly violent and illegal fashion. Are you seriously suggesting that Putin would replace Zelensky with a left-wing democrat?

As for chemical weapons, do feel free to tell us when they were last used by Western democratic countries, then tell us about Russia's use of them in all their recent conflicts.

And regarding your comments on free speech, you still don't explain what you mean by describing it as a "two edged sword". Very strange that you mention nothing about Putin's career long violent suppression of free speech. Anti-war protests have seen thousands of Russians incarcerated and this very day Alexei Navalny has just been sentenced to a further 9 year prison sentence. Perhaps you might like to comment upon that.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Down the A47

What dodgy junctions, roundabouts and speed cameras should it look out for? 

25 minutes ago, Herman said:

No Left turns?

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Herman said:

Avoid Thickthorn A11 junction

Angry residents may resort to NLAW's or RPG's

ps at all cost do not paint a Z on your vehicle.

Edited by ricardo
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

I have to admit that @nevermind, neoliberalism has had it's posts always read to me like they have been written in Russian and then run through Google translate (other automated translation software is available*) into English. 

* Well, I'm sure there must be.

To be fair to him, and I mean this in the nicest possible way, he's always been a belligerent hard left-winger.😀

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

What Foreign Policy? Is that similar to the Policy to defend Paris?

I hope its historically more successful  than that.😉

I saw a Z man with his van loaded with a Maxim gun. I don't think it is going to well for them. 👍

55 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Yes - Saw that that in Guardian/FT  too - 

He also points out why Putin loved Brexit - "It was not until I returned to the UK on the eve of our withdrawal from the EU, a manoeuvre which greatly emboldened those in Moscow" 

The Financial Times newspaper in the UK is carrying a letter today from Carl Scott, formerly a UK defence attaché in Moscow. He is keen to point out that in his view the UK prioritised the City of London’s economic relationship with Russian money over the ominous developments taking place under Putin’s watch while Scott was in Moscow from 2011 to 2016. He writes:

This long, dark march to war was obvious, the path to conflict lit by the many pronouncements emanating from the dark red walls of Vladimir Putin’s palace. We reported the inevitability of conflict in detail, regularly and with the despair of Cassandra. The evidence of Putin’s chosen path was never concealed. His many declarations were meant to be heard and understood.

It was not until I returned to the UK on the eve of our withdrawal from the EU, a manoeuvre which greatly emboldened those in Moscow, that I understood how our society had changed in the years I was serving overseas. All was subjugated to the City, all served the interests of our lucrative status as a safe haven for corrupt, and corrupting, wealth.

Read more here: FT Letters – A defence attaché despairs at inevitability of conflict

Talking it over with my son who is in the military, he rightly points out that the difference between the two sides in this conflict is one has to prevail if it wants to keep its sovereignty and its troops (all eligible citizens) are doing just that. One man with heart and a purpose has more going for him than a conscript who just wants to stay alive.

The UK's military is much smaller than at any time but the personnel they have are so well trained and there out of choice that with the back up of technology, can do as good a job as twice the number.

• Like 1

NATO says that up to 40,000 Russian troops have been killed, wounded, taken prisoner or are missing in Ukraine, said a senior military official from the alliance.

The North Atlantic Treaty Organization calculates the figure based on information provided by Ukrainian authorities and information obtained from Russia--both officially and unintentionally, the official said.

NATO estimates that between 7,000 and 15,000 Russian soldiers have been killed since the invasion began on Feb. 24. Using statistical averages from past conflicts that for every casualty roughly three soldiers are wounded, NATO analysts reach their total figure.

Russia began its invasion with roughly 190,000 troops. It has since brought in additional troops from Chechnya, Syria and other locations.

• Thanks 1

Extract from an Unherd article this morning.

"As things have gone badly for the Russians since, there have been further rounds of talks. The outlines are already clear: Zelenskyy has hinted he is ready to make compromises over the future of the Crimea and Donbas territories that Russia stole in 2014. I know this bothers some — though an increasingly diminishing number — Ukrainians I know. But it’s sensible. They’ve been gone a long time. A five-year-old in 2014 is now a teenager; and he or she hasn’t grown up in Ukraine. Plus, Ukraine is probably better off without the Donbas. Trust me: I’ve been there.

Also on the table is Ukrainian neutrality, which essentially means a commitment not to join Nato. This is also sensible because Nato membership was never realistic anyway. If it were, Kyiv wouldn’t be in the war it’s in now. All this, Zelenskyy has stressed, would have to be put to the Ukrainian people in a referendum.

In essence it’s about accepting the reality on the ground. Crimea and the Donbas are gone; Russia will never countenance Ukraine in Nato. As far as what Russia has to accept, the same principle applies. This means acknowledging that Ukrainians are a sovereign people — not, as Putin seems to think, merely confused Russians. If he still doubts this, he can find the evidence for its veracity in the thousands of body bags now crossing the borders back into Russia. This would mean withdrawing his troops from all Ukrainian territory barring Crimea and the Donbas. He must also accept that Ukraine now has a formalised relationship with the West, based around military equipment and cash. This would hopefully be easier for him to comprehend. After all, he created it.

Do this and there is a way out. What bothers me is that Moscow doesn’t want one. Wherever I look I see talk of Russian overreach, of Russian losses and Ukrainian successes. And it’s not just from online blowhards. I speak to the military experts. Everyone from British officers to this amazing chap on Twitter who works out the progress of the Russian offensive from the state of its army’s wheels is clear. The war is going badly for Moscow.

People now talk of a stalemate. And this worries me because, once again, we need to understand that this is not a 21st-century but a 20th century-conflict. What was World War I if not years of stalemate punctuated by periods of intense, incontinent violence? Stalemates can last a long time and claim the lives of millions.

I think Moscow knows this. Generally, it uses peace talks as an excuse to rearm, regroup and better its chances of more effectively murdering its enemies. I think it’s negotiating in bad faith once again. It can afford to have its conscripts chewed up in Ukraine. It’s not like their families can complain. Putin has turned Mariupol into Aleppo. Now he’s deporting thousands to Russia. From Syria to Siberia, from Assad to Stalin.

This is Putin’s Russia, and it is dragging us back to the darkest period in modern history. More war, not peace, will always be his aim"

Edited by sonyc
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, nevermind, neoliberalism has had it said:

via free visa to all comers for three years, all over Europe.We will be sleepwalking into a Europe wide Banderist supporters movement.

Hahahahaha, this really wins the biscuit. 

Congrats, send Peskov our regards.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, nevermind, neoliberalism has had it said:

via free visa to all comers for three years, all over Europe.We will be sleepwalking into a Europe wide Banderist supporters movement.

Honestly, I know you think you are 'informed' and we're all sheep following our capitalist overlords, but the reality here is that you are a bit mad. Sometimes the official line should be questioned, but most of the time it's pretty accurate. People like you do the left no favours and set back the fight for social justice massively. I'm not sure that's what your driver is anyway, it appears you're more interested in conspiracy theories. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, nevermind, neoliberalism has had it said:

Of all the Ukrainians I've met, which is easily in the hundreds, I'd gladly take all of them over 1 deluded idiot such as yourself.

3 hours ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Honestly, I know you think you are 'informed' and we're all sheep following our capitalist overlords, but the reality here is that you are a bit mad. Sometimes the official line should be questioned, but most of the time it's pretty accurate. People like you do the left no favours and set back the fight for social justice massively. I'm not sure that's what your driver is anyway, it appears you're more interested in conspiracy theories. 

Russia has been fuelling these crazy conspiracies for years, as a way to sow division and undermine democracy.

It's been stunningly effective - to the extent that we're seeing supposed "left wing anti-imperialists" and huge swathes of the Republican party in America defending Russian actions. Square that circle!

• Like 5