Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

No Krul

This is very bad news. Hope it’s not too long but doesn’t look promising. Gunn is a good chap but he’s a league one keeper at best and totally out of his depth at this level. Goodbye clean sheets 

I still think Gunn will come good. I accept that there is very little logic based on recent performances to support that assertion, but we all witnessed that there is a top keeper in there when he was on loan with us. Knowing he's probably going to have a few consecutive games might help him relax into the role.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

This is very bad news. Hope it’s not too long but doesn’t look promising. Gunn is a good chap but he’s a league one keeper at best and totally out of his depth at this level. Goodbye clean sheets 

How is he a League One goalkeeper when he's already had one very good season at Championship level? I accept his ability at the top level is in question but let's not go for hyperbolic nonsense.

• Like 12

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

How is he a League One goalkeeper when he's already had one very good season at Championship level? I accept his ability at the top level is in question but let's not go for hyperbolic nonsense.

Well now he has the chance to prove his doubters wrong and I for one hope he does.

I was not a fan of signing him but got shouted down - he’s our player though so we have to back him, hope he comes in and plays a series of blinders (though Arsenal/Palace as entrees weren’t fantastic).

Edited by Branston Pickle

13 minutes ago, Walcombe canary said:

My God - What supporters we have. 

Nothing about being a good or a bad supporter, you can only call a spade, a spade, and unfortunately he has not been very good in the games he played in the prem for us or Southampton.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Goodbye clean sheets 

We haven't kept a clean sheet in the Premier League since November. If you're waving them off now, I think you've missed the boat. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Awful news that Krul is out, one of the two most important players in our squad, alongside Pukki imo. I find it a bit odd that Gunn wasn’t given a run out with the U-23s at Reading knowing the possibility that Krul was out for Friday. It would have been an opportunity to sharpen up a bit in a more competitive environment than training ( miss proper reserve team fixtures). I like Gunn but his confidence must be rock bottom after his last 3 appearances for the first team and indeed his last Prem appearance before that. I do think McGovern would be a safer option against Watford but I imagine that it will be Gunn as he is our number two keeper.

18 minutes ago, Jsim1986 said:

Nothing about being a good or a bad supporter, you can only call a spade, a spade, and unfortunately he has not been very good in the games he played in the prem for us or Southampton.

@cambridgeshire canary posting stupid clown pictures is probably what's being referred to. That's a bit childish, insulting and disrespectful. But because its Cambridge I kind of give him a free pass on it. 😄 

• Haha 3

Maybe we should ... I dunno... See how he plays before we assume anything?

Crazy view, I know.

• Like 1

I don’t think it’s fair to blame any of those goals on Gunn. He was good enough to get on the books at Man, another premier league club with Southampton and also England u16, 17, 19, 20 and 21.

Keepers undoubtedly play better with a run of games and feeling confident…. So let’s get behind this son of a Norwich legend. 

We’ve got Angus!!! 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

@cambridgeshire canary posting stupid clown pictures is probably what's being referred to. That's a bit childish, insulting and disrespectful. But because its Cambridge I kind of give him a free pass on it. 😄 

Cheers 😂 Most people on here know not to take most things I post seriously. I mean don't get me wrong I don't think Gunn is a good keeper but.. Uh.. He's not shown much to say the least

11 minutes ago, RobertRosariosBeefTomatoes said:

I think Barden showed he is the future NCFC number one and hopefully he will have a speedy recovery as I was comfortable with him deputising for Krul. For the Watford game I would like to see McGovern play.

Despite my admiration for McGovern, we have to play Gunn or effectively deliver a huge kick in the teeth to him. As has been said, what he needs is a few games to get his mojo back and you have to pick him for that to happen. We think there’s a decent keeper there or we wouldn’t have aid what we did for him.

I do think the three he let in against Palace were all decent shots too.

The stupidity of some of our supporters is astounding.  We know he is a decent keeper - he may have something to prove, but that is the challenge for him - to get the best out of himself and get his confidence back. The running down of one of our players when he has barely had a chance to prove himself is just stupid. Idiots.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

We think there’s a decent keeper there or we wouldn’t have aid what we did for him.

We know there is a decent keeper in there from his year with us in the Championship. He barely put a foot wrong that season and actually only conceded 3 more goals that Krul the following season despite facing more shots. I know a few people on here have adopted a revisionist version of that season saying he wasn't all that, but that's nonsense. I think he was voted 2nd or 3rd in the POTS awards.

For sure, it's gone a bit awry for him since but if we can help him recapture that form, starting tomorrow evening, he could become an asset both as a Krul deputy and in the future. 

• Like 2

He can't deal with shots across him, as Palace proved once again. Everyone knows that, so guess what strikers do when they play against him? We can only hope that he continues to work to improve, but it's not looking like a great buy.

Whenever I have played Football, I do believe you have to play against 11 players, not just score against some bloke at the back stood between 2 posts with gloves on. And whenever I have played as Goalkeeper, I had 10 blokes in front of me helping to defend the posts and net I was stood in front of. Hopefully tomorrow the team in front of Angus perform better, particularly now we have more available to select from. Good Luck Young Gunn OTBC

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Seems like you've sh@t the bed already. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

We will miss Kruls experience and leadership I think as much as anything else, he makes the defenders in front of him better.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

He can't deal with shots across him, as Palace proved once again. Everyone knows that, so guess what strikers do when they play against him? We can only hope that he continues to work to improve, but it's not looking like a great buy.

That's an interesting point. Do you really think strikers when they get a chance to pull the trigger actually weigh up who they are shooting at and adjust where and how they shoot accordingly?

Gunn has an opportunity to step up and ram this BS right down his detractors throats.

I hope he takes it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bonzo said:

Gunn has an opportunity to step up and ram this BS right down his detractors throats.

I hope he takes it.

And I hope he proves me wrong, keeps a clean sheet and looks great

I have already eaten some humble pie this season and I am hoping for some more

21 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

That's an interesting point. Do you really think strikers when they get a chance to pull the trigger actually weigh up who they are shooting at and adjust where and how they shoot accordingly?

You'd imagine that if the coaching staff are smart enough to recognise the weakness, they'd certainly encourage their players to exploit it. It's all about tiny marginal gains at this level, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if that were the case.

Has he really conceded 9 goals in a match twice in the same season, as suggested by Cambridgeshire?