KiwiScot

Watford Predictions and Lineups

This has Along Come Norwich written all over it. Classic beat Everton, play well, need to win the next one, Watford have a few of their decent players at Afcon… no better time to play them right?! 

Plus we never beat them. The only potential saving grace is our ability to get managers sacked so that could be a reverse Along Come Norwich… 

Im overthinking this and need a sit down. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wouldn't say we never beat them, up until a few years ago we actually had a pretty even record. That being said, they have won 6 of the last 7 (which I put down to them evolving into the perfect anti-Farke side)

It's about time we beat these. They were there for the taking last game, and that XI will be missing key players whilst ours is practically the same.

Burgle a 1-0 win.

• Thanks 1

Without looking at the stats I remember we have lost the last 5 against Watford all bar the last one have been on tv. Watford are a horrible nasty niggly team who have tended to dominate us physically. Hopefully under Smith we have learnt some lessons and we can counter this.

I reckon we will win this one, and I haven't said that about any single encounter with Watford for years. 

Maybe it's just the euphoria of actually winning last week, but confidence does a wonderful thing.

With the Everton performance in mind, physically we are perhaps more up to the task this time around especially with Sargent dropping back. They will have their tails up and see us as a nice way to get back on track. Tom Cleverley was a sh01thousing little tw.. when they came to us, so important that the ref sees it for what it is and gets the yellow cards out on them early. I can see us getting a result purely because Sarr isn't available -we need to capitalise.

WAT 0 - 1 NOR

1 hour ago, Ulfotto said:

Without looking at the stats I remember we have lost the last 5 against Watford all bar the last one have been on tv. Watford are a horrible nasty niggly team who have tended to dominate us physically. Hopefully under Smith we have learnt some lessons and we can counter this.

I think its mostly a bit of a myth that they booted us off the park at the start of the season. In my opinion they out footballed us at the start of the season. 

Anyway City can't afford to lose because Watford will go four points clear with two games in hand, Burnley and Crystal Palace at home. 

Edited by Alex

1 hour ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Gunn is in goal- so it won’t be a clean sheet, we will need to score 2 minimum probably more. 

EAEF29C1-8566-4B82-94A1-7D946C6943BF.jpeg

I’ll be worried if we play the same outfield players-if we only play 2 in midfield, Watford often play either 3, or 2 plus a defensive midfielder. 

Depends on the team of course, but whoever we play I don't think we'll be able to beat them; they're just too physical and street smart for us to cope with. 2-1 Watford.

9 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Depends on the team of course, but whoever we play I don't think we'll be able to beat them; they're just too physical and street smart for us to cope with. 2-1 Watford.

Also worth noting we have not beaten Watford since 2016. Not even a single draw with them since then either.

I'm off to watch two of mates band play at the Leadmill Friday (International Teachers of Pop if anyone is interested) - I will be following text so hope I can let out an almighty scream of joy during a quiet bit to confuse the rest of the audience!!  But ......😟

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

I’ll be worried if we play the same outfield players-if we only play 2 in midfield, Watford often play either 3, or 2 plus a defensive midfielder. 

I'd be worried if we changed the midfield after everything clicking as well as it did against Everton. I can't fathom how switching away from a double pivot would make us less defensively secure. The crucial thing will be getting enough work out of our wide players in both attack and defence. If they track back well then we'll be able to cope with Watford's athleticism.

I don't doubt, however, that McLean will be back in. I'm firmly in the 'that will make us weaker' camp.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Deptford Yellow said:

McGovern rather than Gunn?  - that would call a certain £9million transfer fee into question ….

The fee is only £9m when certain contract clauses are met, like making a save, keeping a clean sheet, etc 😉

31 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

The fee is only £9m when certain contract clauses are met, like making a save, keeping a clean sheet, etc 😉

5 million it is then!!!

6 hours ago, Ulfotto said:

Agreed!

Remember the old KK rant? I would 'absolutely love it if we beat them'!. Make no mistake this is a real six pointer of huge magnitude. Only a win will do. 

• Like 1

Angus would have know he was going to in goal all week so I hope he is fully prepared, we need the points, I hope we are more prepared and I think under Smith we should be. 2-1 to us Pukki to score.

Gunn in for Krul, Byram if Aarons isn't fit to start, as you were otherwise. Kenny, Dimi & one of Placheta/Tzolis off the bench.

Would dearly love to nick a win, but going for my fairly regular 1-1 prediction. Rashica to scramble one in from a poorly dealt with cross. 

If Sorensen & Lees-Melou are in the engine room, you can be damn sure Watford will take note & will press hard. Need to be very disciplined without the ball and direct when crossing the halfway line. This is very much a game that should be targeted for the three points if we're serious about this division. Nothing to fear from Watford, particularly without Sarr. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Petriix said:

I'd be worried if we changed the midfield after everything clicking as well as it did against Everton. I can't fathom how switching away from a double pivot would make us less defensively secure. The crucial thing will be getting enough work out of our wide players in both attack and defence. If they track back well then we'll be able to cope with Watford's athleticism.

I don't doubt, however, that McLean will be back in. I'm firmly in the 'that will make us weaker' camp.

Ah, ok, I don’t know enough about tactics or formations to recognise that PLM and Sorensen were used as a double pivot against Everton but I will take your word. I know that we’ve been overrun in midfield when we’ve played 3 there this season so playing 2 v 3 would worry me.

I’m making the trip down from Merseyside for this so I hope my fears are unfounded 👍

I'm looking for bets as I'm picking this week on the Pups thread. Found this gem of a bet

Sargent to hit a shot on target - 7/4

• Haha 1