With Newcastle attempting to bring a load in, they are going to be looking at shipping a load out too.

Surely Gayle would be a decent squad player, to bring off the bench and deputise for Pukki, particularly if we're going to be playing two strikers? In a two striker formation we need a backup? Plus he's actually good in the league below, in the unlikely event that we get relegated (positive thoughts!)

Linked to West Brom and Forest on loan, but wonder if we can gazump then by just offering to take him on a permanent for a negligible fee, £1.5m or something?

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

I think we need a forward, we finally scores 1 goal ( Keanes on goal). We do need CDM's but without scoring goals we can't win games, and we need wins/ 3 points rather than a maximum one point foe a draw. Gayle is a good squad player but would Newcastle let him come to a direct rival??

It is an interesting idea, I wouldn’t although if we are going switch to a 4 4 2 formation we will need more strikers, and less midfielders in the squad.  Plus a different sort of full back.  

3 hours ago, Mat McGoo said:

I think we need a forward, we finally scores 1 goal ( Keanes on goal). We do need CDM's but without scoring goals we can't win games, and we need wins/ 3 points rather than a maximum one point foe a draw. Gayle is a good squad player but would Newcastle let him come to a direct rival??

Depends on whether they expect us to release one of our players to them as a direct rival!

Could only see it happening as a makeweight in a Cantwell deal….although all seems to have gone quiet on that front 

We'd have to cancel Gilmour's loan first and that's not happening.

Newcastle aren't going to help out a relegation rival. That would be lame.

3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

This old chestnut?  Seems like his name crops up every season, year after year.....seems like he must be at least 40 by now.....must be  better out there.

He's an ever youthful 32. 

Low sell on value, thus wouldn't fit our model for purchase, and can't loan anyone in until we ship one out.... 

Yeah we need central midfielders first and foremost. If we were to bring a forward in though I wouldn't want a Pukki type striker because when he's fit he plays and we won't be able to afford an upgrade which Gayle definitely isn't. I'd want a pace option, someone with a bit of skill and trickery who can run at defenses with the ball to give us a different option. We'd then have complete front line options with Pukki able to play off the shoulder, Idah who can hold the ball up and shoot from range and a pace option to make things happen when our passing game isn't on point

No way. He’s on a huge salary and now Idah’s come to the party best not to hinder his progress. 

As previous contributors have said, 2 proper DM’s needed as a prioity.

Good signing with an eye on relegation, but I suspect if we signed him we'd insist on a significant relegation wage drop on his reported £40k weekly salary.

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

We'd have to cancel Gilmour's loan first and that's not happening.

Newcastle aren't going to help out a relegation rival. That would be lame.

Not to buy him we wouldn't 

1 hour ago, Greavsy said:

He's an ever youthful 32. 

Low sell on value, thus wouldn't fit our model for purchase, and can't loan anyone in until we ship one out.... 

Bit of a myth that we only sign young players though isn't it.... Rupp is 31 now, was almost 30 when we signed him.

I'd hope that Webber & co recognise that whilst of course you don't want to pack your squad full of 30 year olds, a degree of pragmatism might be called for, and that a bit of experience could compliment our younger players, we got 4 good years out of Cameron Jerome who came here at 29 I think it was.

Besides, we can't afford to drop £10m, £15m or whatever on some 22 year old Pukki successor can we, hence why I'm suggesting Gayle rather than Forrss. 

1 hour ago, Jersey Canary said:

No way. He’s on a huge salary

I very much doubt that, he signed a fresh deal in the summer when he was clearly just a backup / squad player at Newcastle, plus Mike Ashley used long contract lengths to keep the weekly wages on the lower side, hence why he gave Jacob Murphy 6 years. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

8 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Good signing with an eye on relegation, but I suspect if we signed him we'd insist on a significant relegation wage drop on his reported £40k weekly salary.

Just purely speculating here, but I should imagine that was the salary on his last deal but that he'd have taken a pretty hefty pay cut to sign a new deal in the summer after a sustained period as a bit part player. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

20 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Just purely speculating here, but I should imagine that was the salary on his last deal but that he'd have taken a pretty hefty pay cut to sign a new deal in the summer after a sustained period as a bit part player. 

No idea of its accuracy, but I was basing it on this;

https://www.spotrac.com/epl/newcastle-united-fc/dwight-gayle-22936/

Which claims the 2021 contract he signed was for £40k. Football is mental.

Is there the chance Newcastle won't be offloading many players purely to deny them to rivals and also that they could be useful in the championship.

6 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

Is there the chance Newcastle won't be offloading many players purely to deny them to rivals and also that they could be useful in the championship.

Given Gayle's Championship record as well, and the fact that he signed a new deal in the summer that, if reports are true and he managed to bag a £40k-a-week deal, must include a massive wage drop in the event of relegation, it might be sensible of them to keep hold of him for a worst case scenario.

11 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Not interested in forwards, priority for next 2 signings must be CDMs.   

Fingers crossed Idah doesn't revert to pre-January form as soon as the window closes!

2 minutes ago, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

Fingers crossed Idah doesn't revert to pre-January form as soon as the window closes!

It really doesn't matter, don't think too many fans realise but having productive defensive central midfielders who can stop the opposition, protect the defence and cover the spaces behind the full-backs (like Skipp did so well) will enable us to get more players forward  (full-backs and the other midfielders) thus giving us better options, more insurance, more confidence and more numbers in forward areas.....  in short, proper CDM's will make us much more offensive.    Then, we might get more goals shared around the team.     

5 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Not too sure what kind of message that would send to Idah

"We are using 2 strikers now, instead of 1, so we need somebody to take your place on the bench"

A really good one?