Sign in to follow this  
No Quarter

Music V Football

I''m really starting to see what a waste of money football is at the moment.  Although I have been a season ticket holder for 23 years (from the age of 7), this current season has been one big bore.  were I a casual ticket purchaser I just wouldn''t bother.  I compare this to live music gigs.  For £14, I went to see metal band Soulfly at the UEA last week, and was blown away.  I also saw the Darkness there with similar results, not to mention the numerous other gigs I have attended for a lot less money than a casual football ticket prices.  Although we all do it, dont you find it kind of strange to pay hard earned money on something that most of the time dissapoints (especially this season).  Imagine coming out of the Theatre Royal and forming a posse by the back door chanting "Cinderella Out" because of the terrible performance she had just turned in. All that we are paying for with increased ticket prices is increased footballers earnings.  Anyway, just a thought.

true, but they dont have to pay their staff 1000''s lol. you can see why people would spend their money elsewhere. but this is how football is. the brighton fan on canary call said his season ticket cost £500 i think! not really value for money, but there you go.

Yeah old Woody will claim he''s Hills through and through but you just know that as soon as the Alton towers mob come a knocking with a bid wad of cash he''d be off ...... the money grabbing corporate tart that he is!

Music is the the all round winner in my opinion. Give me the right music, whether live or recorded and it never fails to give me great pleasure. There is a consistent high to be gained from good music without a doubt. Watching football on the other hand, can only give me pleasure sporadically in most matches, and in some none at all ( particularly if a Worthington has been involved with tactics, team selection etc). So to sum up, football is entertaining when it''s very good whereas music is entertaining all the time provided you listen to the artists that you like. Also music wins hands down when you''re talking value for money.

Yes football is very expensive compared with other entertainment. (I am a member of Northamptonshire CCC and its £14 there for a full day of cricket and only £130 for a full season ticket for about 54 days of cricket!!) I went to see Northampton town play the other week and paid £17 for a ticket!!! For League 2!! I was a bit shocked at the price. I will always gladly pay to see Norwich play though and I can''t see that changing in the near future!

Following numerous endorcements from the NCFC first team squad and contact from messers Rosevelt, Taylor & Pooh I would like to retract my above comment regarding the character and motivations of Woody.

They have also asked me to tell you that the entertainment derived from your season ticket can go down as well as up. However they are delighted to announce the start of the first annual ''I''m a better fan than all the rest of you'' awards. Please make your entries on a rhetoric filled, poorly argued posting on the pinkun message board. First prize a season ticket for next year, second prize two season tickets!

I think you are missing out on the point that football spans generation, class and a lot of other types of social divisions that music often works to exaggerate. Music and football both have different merits but one of the most positive things about football is that it is an integral part of the community focus of any given region which IMO is something which is fast disappearing in a lot of inner city areas. So it can most certainly be a positive force that provides continuity over time as any team is constantly in a state of renewal, quite apart from any actual excitement of winning or losing. To make my point a bit clearer, just try taking a random neighbour or your Dad or Grandad to see Soulfly. Footy is invaluable IMO.  

[quote user="tin ribs"]

I''m really starting to see what a waste of money football is at the moment.  Although I have been a season ticket holder for 23 years (from the age of 7), this current season has been one big bore.  were I a casual ticket purchaser I just wouldn''t bother.  I compare this to live music gigs.  For £14, I went to see metal band Soulfly at the UEA last week, and was blown away.  I also saw the Darkness there with similar results, not to mention the numerous other gigs I have attended for a lot less money than a casual football ticket prices.  Although we all do it, dont you find it kind of strange to pay hard earned money on something that most of the time dissapoints (especially this season).  Imagine coming out of the Theatre Royal and forming a posse by the back door chanting "Cinderella Out" because of the terrible performance she had just turned in. All that we are paying for with increased ticket prices is increased footballers earnings.  Anyway, just a thought.

[/quote] I don''t think you can really compare the two. I wouldn''t want to see Soulfly in concert even for £14 - nothing wrong with them but it''s not my kind of music. Some gigs are also very expensive - I paid £50 to see Brian Wilson in concert. Soulfly in the music world are probably not the equivalent to Norwich in the football world.

Yes, at the moment football at CR is a waste of money (season ticket or causal ticket) compared with going to a gig, theatre, Alton Towers etc, etc, but you always have a choice how to spend your money. 

Football is not a certainty in the way a day out at Alton Towers is, a music gig is more than likely going to be what you want as you already know the band or singer concerned.  The two events are completely different in expectation levels.  I have been to many, many football matches and a lot of them have been dire, but a lot have been so memorable I can remember them thirty years on.  That, to me is the magic of football, the never knowing what might happen, the chance for a giant killing or turning over a bigger side, seeing some individual brillance.  It''s also (and nothing else compares to it) being part of a tribe, group of likeminded people.  This club is your family, and you''ll defend them to the last.

Music (or whatever else turns you on) gives the same high or level of enjoyment if it''s truly what you love, but it''s not the same, I don''t identify myself with any of the bands I have been to see in the way I do with the football club.  I have seen some fantastic bands in my time (and continue to do so being an old hippy!).

As for pricing, buying a season ticket is the cheapest option, but constant travel to away games is v expensive, especially if it involves taking family, having said that most top bands command a £50 ticket, and most of them demand travelling to the NEC or London.